Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRITUM

ShootMeAlready

600D is still what it was sold to me as.
"A great camera to learn video & photography on"
1. twisty-flex lcd screen for great angles & has sensor similar size to a red-one 
2. Shoots 1280 10 bit raw, anamorphic virtually continuous, or higher res with fps variable rate set low for static shots.
3. Shoots H264 60 fps 1280 FHD, for slo-mo.,
4. Shoots H264 at 1.4X bit rate over sample (great for fine detail edging & blacks)
5. Shoots H264 with custom pics, like flat, to increase DR. Did I mention 10/12bit raw video that also increase DR.
*** And if you think 600D H264 sucks, go to vimeo and watch some Kendy Ty videos (shot on the 550D no less).  Then recant ***
6. With ML can shoot 4k timelapse video.
7. With ML - Focus peaks & Zebras even Magic Zoom PIP for best focus info., crucial for manual focus helpful for AF.
8. With ML - AW to sample (small sample in pic) or dial in Temp. manually these blow away Canon s/w, and did I mention with global  write on, you can record with an anamorphic black bars on viewer for proper framing.
9. With ML - Can program follow focus points. A poor mans focus pulls.
10. Lossless 3X zoom, that has no line skipping, made even more potent in post with 10/12 bit raw video. Not bad for shooting brick walls, tiles, wires, and zebras.

These are a crap load of useful stuff any photography & video student would want to play around with.
And with 1280 anamorphic raw video, guess what its actually a relevant inet cam!!!

So what is 1280p HD good for? V-Blogging, and creating portfolio video clips.
With 14 bit raw, it did not even support HD, so its raw video use was near nil.
Now with 1280 anamorphic video support it shakes the dust off, and as a great learning camera
its fully delivering on its potential.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

irvcobb

Can anyone verify that lua loads successfully on the 600D? I get memory errors. Have tried a variety of nightlies back to 2016Apr22, and get the same behavior on all of them. More details later, if there is interest.

dmilligan

irvcobb

I can verify that the experimental build boots successfully. Don't have time to test further tonight. Should the Features page be changed to indicate Lua as unavailable for the 600D until these get pushed?

dfort

Lua is in the regular nightly builds but the experimental builds have the latest changes. Please report any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irvcobb

Satis

Hey guys, I haven't been messing around with ML for a great while now, I just decided to blow th dust off my 600D and get the latest ML release. So far so good, but there is one thing about the new releases that really bug me: every time I hit the trashbin button and enter the ML menu, Canon's own menu pops up for a really short time. It's not a great deal breaker for me, never the less it's annoying to see every time I enter the menu.
How long has this been around? Would it be realy difficult to get rid of it?

Also, congrats with the 10/12 bit raw guys!
50D IR, 600D, 550D

a1ex

Quote from: Satis on February 05, 2017, 09:08:42 AM
How long has this been around? Would it be realy difficult to get rid of it?

Since May 2011. There was no ML for 600D back then.

Feel free to reverse engineer this issue. You'll have to find a way to prevent Canon menu from getting displayed - that's all. The current approach is to trigger a series of very quick redraws of ML menu (codenamed "redraw flood"), hoping it will mask Canon menu quickly.

To see why Canon menu is used, set GUIMODE_ML_MENU to 0 in consts.h to disable it, and see what happens.

Critical Point

QuoteWho would have thunk that a 600D could actually be used to shoot 10 bit raw video, 1280 cinemascope (2:35), 24fps continuous.

So let me get this straight ! The 600D / T3i can now shoot continuously 1280x??? 10 bit raw ?
Can someone please show me how to get this on 600D ? I have looked on various parts of the forum but nothing clear to me at this point.
600D & GH2 / PC.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads 
Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments -> 10/12-bit RAW video
Select download for 600D.

vitix

Hello, i have a 64 GB memory and my Firmware is 1.0.3 can i still download and install it?

Avenger 2.0

You'll have to downgrade to 1.0.2 first before you install ML.

sanderktrl

Hi everyone,

Recording MLV RAW, I want to get a shutter speed of 1/50 with 24fps. Right now I'm using FPS override, but the 'shutter 'option in the Expo menu is locked. How can I do this?

Thank you.

nretnalcigam

Firmware 1.0.3

Did Canon Post what was changed or updated in the new firmware? All I saw on the UK site was a download link. No explanation while upgrading their desktop software & Utilities.

I'm not upgrading mine... Always look in the forums first before doing anything!

Just a FYI, Canon Just leave a good thing alone.

-Steve

ibrahim

I've been using 600d as a B camera for a few years now but for the past several months have experienced a huge problem with it. After insert my SD card to my card reader I get the popup windows "you need to format the disk before you can use it". I've lost a lot of footage due to this issue. I don't have this issue with my used SD or CF cars on my 5d3.

Any help?

Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Walter Schulz

You have to wait for proper shutdown and wait a few seconds *after* opening card door before removing card. The cam will access the card right after opening the lid. If you are too hasty you will likely damage the card.
And you can always try to use data recovery tools for troubled cards.
If you have only one SD-card I recommend to replace it now (if proper handling doesn't solve your issue).

a1ex

If you believe the same card behaves well on 5D3, but not on 600D, you'll have to do a controlled experiment.

Step 1: Find a way to reproduce. Even if it's something like this (just an example): record video clips until the card is full, download the clips on PC, format or delete, repeat 10 times, and at least one of those attempts is unsuccessful. The key is to find a sequence of actions that gives the error every time you try (even if that sequence requires recording many test videos or whatever).

Step 2: Run the test sequence on 5D3 (with SD only).

Step 3: If your test sequence does not include any ML-specific features (such as raw video), run it without ML as well.

Step 4: Trying on a different 600D, a different card reader, or a different USB cable or port may be helpful (to exclude hardware issues such as weak contacts in the SD slot).

The above steps should be helpful for any other issue hard to narrow down.

SniperInside

Hi, I had the january version of magic lantern and updated it with the new (just discovered) 10 bit raw version, but my screen is flashing. Without sd card camera is ok so it should be a ml bug, even when I restored my settings to default (both canon and ml) I got no changes. Am I the only with this problem? Can I fix it and start using raw to have a bit more quality over shitty h264?

xrandallxflagg

hi everyone,
Been using ML for years now. I recently got a few new SD cards. Installed ML fine. I cannot for the life of me, though, find the suggested settings (I believe bit rate cbr was adjusted) for avoiding the "your video recording has been stopped automatically." I have the autostart enabled, but I remember adjusting some settings to get avoid the error. I have a sandisk class 10 card, etc. Anyway, I have searched and cannot find anything about specific settings.
Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Recording will stop if buffer is full. There is no way to bypass hardware limits.
6D is able to use about 40 MByte/s recording rate with fast cards. 600D interface has only half the bandwidth ... go figure.
Class 10 just says the card is good for 10 MByte/s continuous recording.

Modules tab -> bench.mo ON -> restart cam in photo mode-> Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)

xrandallxflagg

thanks, I could have sworn that there was a way to adjust settings so the buffer did not fill as frequently. I might be wrong or the changes I did really didn't do anything.

Walter Schulz

If you adjust settings to minimize data traffic you have it (if using RAW). Bit rate manipulation (CBR) is for H.264 recording only. And for your cam highest write rate for H.264 should be below 6 MByte/s (with default bit rate CBR = 1).

capitanazop

So guys one question, how much resolution can handle now 600d with 10bit raw, crop 3x3 and loseless compression at 24fps?

Walter Schulz

http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw
Don't expect to run 21 MByte/s write speed recording RAW/MLV. If you don't want to run on the edge stay below.