Magic Lantern Installation & Updating Guidefor Canon EOS 600D/Rebel T3i
This guide will help you install and update your Canon EOS 600D/Rebel T3i to the lastest Magic Lantern Nightly builds.Warning! Magic Lantern is not approved nor endorsed by Canon in any way, and using it will probably void your warranty. We are not responsible for any damages to your camera.Before you start:
- Make sure your battery is fully charged.
- Remove unnecessary accessories (battery grip/flash/etc).
- Have a sd card reader or laptop with integrated sd card reader.
- Use a sd card of 32GB or smaller for first install.
- Understand that you may lose your warranty and brick your camera.Updating Canon firmware:
- Make sure you are running Canon firmware v1.0.2 before you install ML, if you are you may skip this step.
- If not, download it here
- Follow included instructions and update your camera.Magic Lantern Install:
- Download the last nightly version here
- Format your SD card in camera first, then put it in your SD card reader connected to your PC.
- Unzip 'ML' directory, 'autoexec.bin' and 'ml-setup.fir' from the downloaded ZIP file onto your sd card.
- Put your sd card in your camera, switch camera to M-mode and power it up.
- Launch firmware update and install ML.
- After the green confirmation screen, turn off your camera.
- Power your camera back up and enjoy Magic Lantern!Updating Magic Lantern with new build in the future (on camera and sd card with ML installed):
- When new nightly is available (see here
for last build), download it onto your PC.
- Put your sd card (running the old build) into your PC and delete (NO format!) the 'ML' directory and 'autoexec.bin' file.
- Extract the content of the zip from the new build onto your sd card.
- Repeat this process for all sd card with old ML builds you want to update.Uninstalling Magic Lantern from SD card:
- You cannot simply delete the files from the sd card to uninstall ML from it (as the boot flag will remain set).
- Format the SD card in the camera (select this option: Format card, remove Magic Lantern).Uninstalling Magic Lantern from camera:
- You cannot simply reinstall the canon firmware to remove ML.
- With a ML sd card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen to uninstall ML.Boot without loading Magic Lantern:
- If you want to boot your camera without ML, all you have to do is hold down the "SET" button while switching your camera "ON".Updated user Guide for ML nightly builds:
- User Guide
Edit: Modified install procedure for new nightly and installer.