Live view window reduced when shooting raw (Canon 6D)

Started by AlexB, June 08, 2015, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexB

Hi guys

Just started using ML RAW with my Canon 6D, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

To get continuous recording I have to reduce the resolution to 1280x720 at 25 fps. But when I do  that,  the video on the back of my camera's screen is also reduced.

Here is the normal non-raw view:

And this is the raw recording view at 1280x720:

Is it normal that the image is cropped like this, and is there any workaround so I can get a full screen image?

If I press the magnify button it fills the screen, but it will not record the view I see on the back on the screen. instead it will start recording from the top left corner until it reaches the resolution I set and then it cuts the image.

- Alex

Levas

The cropped image is normal. It shows you the part that is recorded.
The size of the cropping depends on the resolution you set within the ML raw menu, here you can also change aspect ratio's for example 4:3, 16:9 or 2,35:1.
The cropping you have on the photo above is rather big for 1280x720, did you set the camera to 720p mode in Canon menu?

rbrune

AlexB

Thank you for the reply, Levas.

The above photo is when raw recording is disabled and the camera is set for 1080p, not 720p. I put it there just to illustrate the difference.

If I understand you correctly: When recording in raw at a resolution lower then 1920x1080, the camera will take the full resolution (1920x1080) and crop it down to match the resolution I have set in the menu (for example 1280x720 as in my case)?

Is there any way to zoom or magnify the cropped image to make it larger, or am I stuck with viewing the crop?

*Edit: Thank you rbrune, that is very helpful.

I'm still curious though if there is any way to zoom or magnify the cropped image to fill the screen.

extremelypoorfilmaker

you are stuck with viewing the crop! :)

Guess it's time to invest in an external monitor? :P

A decent monitor is the Aputure vs2 good value for money

AlexB

Thank you! I was afraid that might be the case.

Already have a monitor, but thanks for the tip on the Aputure. It's just that in many cases it's impractical with anything attached to the camera. I'll just get a small loupe of some kind and see how that works.

Thanks again to all of you.

extremelypoorfilmaker

"your" very welcome xD

p.s.
Intended grammar mistake