LV without Mirror Up

Started by garry23, April 09, 2017, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

@A1ex

I have a use case that ML may (sic) be able to help with.

As a stills photographer I don't always use LV, ie I use the eye piece a lot.

I often find myself wishing to focus at the HFD, but to do this I need to switch to LV and use ML feedback or scripts I've written to automatically move the lens to a specific HFD state, eg fully open, optimised for DoF or sweat aperture (open + 2 stops).

One thought I've had is explore if ML could allow me to drive the lens with the mirror down (sic), ie I'm using/accessing the normal eye piece functionality/feedback.

My idea is to use a script and allocate this to a key of my choice, thus allowing ML (if possible) to drive the lens to the HFD whilst I look through the eye piece, ie composition is the one thing I wish to control.

I've explored the current lv functionality in Lua, but this doesn't help me.

So the question is, could ML be used to allow the AF drive, whilst the camera's mirror remains down. Or is this idea simply 'silly'.

I appreciate this is not top priority at the moment, but I would like to know if it is possible in principle.

a1ex

The only problem is... we don't know how to send the focus commands so they operate outside LiveView.

The decision to focus outside LiveView appears to be made on a secondary processor (the MPU).

(btw, the subject is a bit misleading - you were asking about moving the focus motor outside LiveView...)

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on April 09, 2017, 01:19:22 PM
btw, the subject is a bit misleading

It seems to imply having LiveView active while the mirror is covering the sensor--sort of like seeing with your eyes closed?

Don't we have a window into what the MPU is doing via the dm-spy-experiments branch? I recall a few months ago a1ex had me look into mpu_send/mpu_recv stubs for the EOSM when I was working on the Assign lens focal length and name for non cpu lenses project.

garry23

Sorry if I confused things with my words.

The objective is to be able to drive the motor and access DoF info, with the mirror down, so the Canon view finder is functioning as 'normal'.

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

The latter might be actually doable (I remember Greg showing me a proof of concept on 500D).