Shooting Raw Video - What SD card?

Started by dlevihaynes, May 28, 2015, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlevihaynes

I'm wanting to shoot RAW Video on my Canon T3i-600D, but I don't know what SD card to get.

What is the minimum SD requirements for shooting RAW Video without having any camera issues?  

Thank so much.

Walter Schulz

There is no such thing as "without having any camera issues" when it comes to RAW video recording with 600D.
SD-card interface built in by Canon is limited to about 21 MByte/s write rate and there is nothing you can do about it. Faster cards (90 MByte/s) will offer very, very limited higher data rates compared to good 45 MByte/s. And in your case 30 MByte/s will do just about the same.
Please take care: Data rates given by manufacturers will just tell highest rate and that is - most of the time - read rate. Write rate may be just as good but most of the time not. Look for benchmark data done with ATTO or CrystalDiskMark.
RAW data rate calculator:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14909.0

And try to use ExFAT file system on card. You may have to use EOScard/Macboot to make card bootable, deleting cards content after format and copying extracted nightly build contents to card.