video recording automatcally stopped 550D

Started by Clay, May 24, 2015, 08:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

I'm having issues with the error message in the subject popping up randomly. I've scoured the forums looking for a solution and have tried everything I could fine. Nothing has worked. I've got a fast card (Lexar Pro1000X 150MB/s Class 10), have lowered the bitrate to 0.9 and turned Global draw off. It still does it. I've also formatted the card and reinstalled ML to no effect. It never did this until I moved to v2.3. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or where can I download an older version to see if that fixes the issue?

thanks, ch

Walter Schulz

550D's SD-card interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s write rate. No ML supported cam has an UHS-II interface. You're running UHS-I when used in cam.

Licaon_Kter

I hope you use the latest version and not that years(?) old 2.3.

Latest here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Clay

I also have a few ScanDisk cards. ScanDisk Extreme 45MB/s and Ultra 30MB/s. I have the same issue with those cards as well. I'll try the latest nightly build.

Clay

I just installed the latest version nightly build and it's still doing it. :'(

Walter Schulz

You haven't by any chance activated both RAW modes? Use of MLV and RAW is exclusive!

If this isn't the problem:
Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
After starting benchmark run press Play button to activate Playback mode (lowest overhead).
Tell highest write rate.
Compare to write rate calculated by ML (bottom lines in RAW/MLV options when selecting resolution/aspect ratio).

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Clay

I'm not using RAW, or MLV, so far as I know.

I ran the benchmark test and the results were a write speed of (buffer=128k) 10MB/s when I hit the play button. For the life of me I can't find what you're talking about here "Compare to write rate calculated by ML (bottom lines in RAW/MLV options when selecting resolution/aspect ratio)." I can't fine RAW/MLV options or any place to select the resolution/aspect ration other than the standard canon menu.

while it's running the benchmark test, I've seen write speeds as high as 19.9 MB/s. where can I compare that the write rate calculated by ML?

Thanks for the help. ch

Clay

Scratch that last write speed. Not sure where the 10MB/s came from. The highest write speed I got was 20.3 MB/s

Licaon_Kter

Walter Schulz

Using Canon's H.264 implementation for video recording requires about 6 MByte/s data write rate (without CBR tweaking, of course). Try another card. Any real Class-10 card should do.
Have you checked file sizes generated?

Clay

I've tried two different Lexar pro 1000s, a scandisk extreme 45MB/s and a scandisk ultra 30MB/s and it does it on all of them.  As far as file size goes, here's an example. 1920 30fps 43 second clip and 242MB.

a1ex

Clay

Hi A1ex, I remember that post. For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on. Damn thing did if like 5 times yesterday morning. Is there an older version I can revert to? I never had problems until I installed the last update.

Clay

I recently wiped ML from several of my cards and still got the camera to stop recording. So, I guess it has nothing to do with ML after all. Any ideas why this camera would have started this even with the fast cards mentioned above?