Ghost Image - how to import guide movies back to camera

Started by blabberlicious, May 21, 2015, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blabberlicious

Hi all , I would really appreciate some quick help.

I am reshooting a scene, and want to use some existing original 5D3 footage as the Ghost Image for the new shot.
The Old footage is no longer on the card, and I can not find a way of putting it back into the 5D3 card to enable ML to 'see' the clips.

I have tried copying footage via canon software, putting it directly into the  same folder as the camera is shooting to.

Nothing shows up :-(

Help!!!. On a shoot today, and this is critical.

many thanks.

blabberlicious

blabberlicious

If anyone can just tell me how to get a simple JPEG back onto the card so it's readable as a Ghost image, I would be eternally grateful!

dmilligan

There are two ways:

1. Just take a picture of the picture.
2. Take a JPG photo with the camera, open it in photoshop/gimp/whatever. Copy and paste the image you want on the camera. Save it and load it back to on the card.

blabberlicious

Thanks but, 1 isn't accurate enough - or practical.

and

2. If I load jpeg directly from the card into photoshop, then resave as a flattened jpeg, with new pasted content, the camera refuses to see it.

Something about the jpeg format?  I've making a film where I revisit many places and people - need to reliably match frames quickly.

any help appreciated!

Walter Schulz

Take some pics.
Download Exiftool (+ ExifToolGUI)
Use Exiftool/ExifToolGUI to replace embedded JPEGs with your shots. Shots must be converted to JPEG, named like pic (IMG_0123.JPG will be embedded in IMG_0123.CR2)  and height and width must be a multiple of 8. ExifToolGUI will tell you that, too. ExiftoolGUI -> Export/Import -> Embed preview image into selected
Done.

blabberlicious

Thanks Walter.

You suggestion worked - but I involved me having to use a Windows machine, as I could not find out how to replicate the  Export/Import -> Embed preview image into selected. I'm Mac based.

I'm not adept at Terminals or how to pass commands to Exif.

If you have the time, could you tell me what commands I might use to Embed the Modified Previews ito the raw files.

I understand the principle, that I need to use RAW files jpeg previews as the 'trojan horse' to make this happen (I think), but that's where my knowledge ends!

Many thank for the reply, in any case.

Walter Schulz

ExiftoolGUI might work with Wine and there seems to be an OS X port for ExifToolGUI, too. Don't know if port supports manipulation of embedded JPEGs.

Don't know shell commands for OS X environment. I suppose dmilligan might be able to help here. Command for single file looks like
exiftool '-ThumbnailImage<=thumb.jpg' dst.jpg

blabberlicious

Thanks for your help.

I got it working with Wine, as the mac version didn't have the ability to update embedded Jpegs.

Also discovered (to my horror) that ingesting via Prelude and renaming the .Mov files means you can't load them back on the card. Even if they adhere to the character limits.

In an ideal world I'd just make a short movie with all my plate shots edited together, then select ghosts images on the fly in Lantern.

But again, touching the original .MOVs in any way makes them unplayable. There doesn;t seem to be a way of rendering out Canon friendly .MOVs.

oh well!