Samsung NX1 Source code

Started by 3nrayged, May 17, 2015, 06:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3nrayged

Hi ML coders,

Would any of your talented coders have a look to the Samsung NX1 source code? I know you are more Canon oriented but Samsung is perhaps opening the way to new features so why not giving it a try. I reckon though that finding Alpha testers for a brand new camera will be tough.

But for your curiosity and mine, here is the link for the NX1 source code. I'm not a coder so I'll probably won't understand anything.

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital%20cameras

Cheers!

Licaon_Kter

Yes, running Tizen IIRC, now, what are the NX1 users missing in this 4K H.265 camera? :D

3nrayged

Hi Licaon_Kter,

Well the most annoying flaw in the firmware is the inability to turn off the Automatic Gain Control for sound recording.

The 8 bits H.265 4k at 80Mbps is already pretty good but knowing that almost every SD Cards write at least 30MB/s, increasing the bitrate to 200Mbps in 10 bits H.265 would add more latitude for color grading and less banding. I don't know if doable though, never seen 10 bit H.265 on the market yet.

Another downside of the camera is the FAT32 limitation. If we could make it NTFS compatible, we'd probably get rid of the 30mins 1080p and 7mins 4k limitations. Another possibility would be to enable the camera to do 4GB cuts but record continuously.

A lot of users have been complaining about H.265 (personally I don't mind transcoding), A H.264 200Mbps a la GH4 could help them.

In timelapse mode we cannot use a slower shutter speed than 1/50s, that would be perfect to be able to set any shutter speed to increase motion blur.

There are heaps of possibilities I guess, I'm thinking of a Assistant Camera Android app in which you could do metalogging and it would sync to the camera and rename the files. Some kind of live metalogging.

I think some NX1 users are jealous of the NX500 4k crop mode with less rolling shutter and the S RAW profile for photographers could be a nice addition.

That was for my personal ideas, but everyone have been compiling their needs in the following document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwCklH7KMPvGlOWiy9RjGKUKaQnD7gJ-hiW7xotVJ6o/edit

That's a lot of demands for probably an obscure OS, I know Tizen is close to Linux but I wouldn't be surprise if Samsung had put some barriers to protect their future product releases.

Tanks a lot for your interest in fighting the planned obsolescence.

Licaon_Kter

30min recording limit is not related to FAT32 (google "video camera tax 30min" or there about), the only limit is 4Gb.
Usually in camera, 32Gb or lower cards get formatted to FAT32 (and you will get that limit ~7m57s yields 4Gb, right?) but 64Gb or higher cards willl get exFAT formatted and go back to 29m59s. Now, (only) format it on a computer as exFAT and you get the limit removed. (googleit ;))

Oh man, the list is comprehensive. :)

3nrayged

Yeah I knew about that tax imposed by Europe about the 30mins limitation, it sucks, being European I'm ashamed of this stupid tax. I know it's to prevent people from pirating movies at the cinema. But who would bring a DSLR to a cinema. who watch screeners anyway? The sound is always really bad, it was ok in the early days of Emule and torrents. But in 2015, people wait for 720p or 1080p torrents, which are leaked from the blu-ray burning facilities most of the time. However, I do not encourage piracy.

You made a good point about exFAT, unfortunately I only have 32GB SDs, I'll buy a 64GB asap and try it. That'd be great to have 29:59, last 3 hours interview I had to constantly monitor the camera to press record every 7mins, it's alright, it's my job as a camera op. But 30mins takes will make the editing experience better.

Samsung has been good about updating firmware till ver. 1.22 but now it seems they abandoned their customers unless the rumor about the rewritten firmware is real and it could be the reason why it's taking so long.

Have a good one!

Walter Schulz

Try formatting your card using your PC. You will be able to use ExFAT for card <64 GByte.
Works for Canon DSLR.

3nrayged

Easy fix, it works I have 29.59 for UHD. I wonder why I never thought about it.

Thanks Walter Schulz!

Licaon_Kter

I just told you to do it above anyway. :P

3nrayged

Yeah sorry. I don't know why in my mind was printed that I needed a 64GB SD for exFAT compatibility.

3nrayged

New firmware coming! They addressed the AGC issue apparently.

Johnfelipo

How hard would it be to get 4K (or UHD) 60p in this camera? I figure the H.265 codec would really help with the bitrate and file sizes, is it something that would be simple to code into the cameras capabilities? If so, I would GLADLY pay someone to do that. I wonder if they can add it in a firmware upgrade, maybe v2.0? I don't know...am I making any sense or way out of line with this? Anyone...?