Can You Tell Whether It Is Raw

Started by aaronandrewang, May 06, 2015, 03:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronandrewang

Hi guys, my team and I just did up a short film.

However, looking at it time and time again, it looks like it was not shot in raw though I actually did it.

Do comment on this.

Appreciate it. :)

Yuppa

Some might like some creative details on this: equipment/work flow.
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

Levas

Watched it and there are 2 things I see,

-Focus is not spot on in many clips.
-It's slow mo, don't know if you used the Canon 720P mode, cause this could explain a lot of softness.

Is this really recorded in ML raw ?
What settings (resolution, aspect ratio, camera model) ?

Tip of the day, learn/practice on the focussing

aaronandrewang

Using a Canon 5d Mark III. 24-105 F4 L Lens. Colour not heavily graded.

I agree on the focusing. Could be improved.

Yes, I used the Canon 720p mode. Basically, 720p 50fps mode. If there's no slow mo, it is in 1920 X 1080. 16:9 aspect ratio. In ML, I tweaked my fps override to 48fps. For this, resolution was at 1728 x 606. I stretch it by tweaking the scale. So basically, in Premiere, it was at 179.0 for scale height and 108.0 for scale width. And I interpret the fps of the clip to 23.937.

Thanks for replying. Appreciate it.

aaronandrewang

Workflow - .MLV files are converted to Quicktime files using MLVVIEWER. Then straight away edited them in Premiere Pro. Exported in Quicktime, H.264

Should I use the Media Encoder to convert those files after using MLVVIEWER to Pro Res files?

Levas

720P mode will never give you supersharp images. It is possible to get decent slow-mo out of it, but it will never be as sharp as normal 1080P mode.
So for supersharp images you'll need the normal 1080p mode, you can always use fps override to set it on 30FPS or higher if possible and slow it down to 24FPS in post. This way you can still get some smoothness in your shots.

About the focusing, do you use some helpful ML features for that ?
I found the 'magic zoom' really usefull for focusing, in the settings menu in magic zoom I set position to focus box.
If you go to the 'Prefs' tab in the ML menu, you can see the menu 'Focus box settings', you can set snap points here for the autofocus box.
I use Center/Top/Right/Bottom/Left as setting. This way you can press the set button to move the focus box quickly around your frame and use the magnify button to enable magic zoom for focusing. Works better for me then focus peaking.

horandre

This is not about raw. Is about cinematography basic tecnics.
To ask somethink like this you shoud do a tecnical test.