Switch for macOS Catalina/Linux (former cr2hdr.app)

Started by Danne, May 05, 2015, 04:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

@12georgiadis
Great!

@deafeyejedi
I´m trying to reproduce with a bunch of spanned eosm files but it seems to work ok here. Are you exporting to a different folder location? Could you describe more in detail and also maybe send me your LOG file?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on July 26, 2017, 10:27:06 PM
@deafeyejedi
I´m trying to reproduce with a bunch of spanned eosm files but it seems to work ok here. Are you exporting to a different folder location? Could you describe more in detail and also maybe send me your LOG file?

After a thorough investigation on my end -- turns out it was my own user error, why? Because during this trip out to Vegas I only brought one card (128gb) w me and no MacBook pro or let alone a card reader. So what I did was deleted few MLV files from within File Manager in ML menu after running out of space towards the end and thus the reason why I had incorrectly assumed Switch wasn't properly spitting out ANYTHING for certain spanning files.

It was actually missing the original MLV's this whole time. Shame on me, I know. Sorry for the false alarm.

Btw if I can recall correctly that your app used to be able to do this, right? Once I kill the rendering for whatever reason and I decide to run it again even with movie files already spitted out -- it would continue to render overwriting the ones that were already done when it used to be able to skip the ones that are already done and go to the next new file that hasn't been spat out yet, makes sense?

I could swear your app was already capable of doing this but maybe just not with the latest release of Switch? Correct me if I'm wrong though, Danne!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

No overwriting of ffmpeg prores files but with ae project files ut will.
Killing automator just freezes eveything from when it's killed but it's better than waiting for automator to finish since it actually runs long after turned off.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on July 28, 2017, 07:53:44 PM
No overwriting of ffmpeg prores files but with ae project files ut will.

That's what it was. Makes sense. Thanks and perhaps is there a reason for it not to work w ae project files atm?

Quote from: Danne on July 28, 2017, 07:53:44 PM
Killing automator just freezes eveything from when it's killed but it's better than waiting for automator to finish since it actually runs long after turned off.

I understand and am aware of this. Just had to because I had forgotten to do Dual-ISO process for the few MLV's that otherwise would have came out w stripes. So a restart was necessary for this situation.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

motionSOUL

I have tested several .mlv files shooted in Crop mode 1920 50/60 3x3 (1920x800 - 60fps), exported in .dng from Switch and imported in After Effects via Camera Raw, but each time I have tried to import them AE crashed. I have succeeded in importing them by deleting several on the last .dng images (10,20 ou more) of each files. Each time I have manually stopped the recording on my 5DMKIII (it hasn't stopped due to lack of speed). Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

S/.

Danne

Never tried this. Are the last dng files corrupted somehow? Are you getting the same results with mlv_dump_on_steroids and the regular mlv_dump version in Switch?

motionSOUL

I've deleted the files because it was only some tests to see if the workflow was good and consistant. The last .dng seems all OK for me.
I have recorded new files today, and no problem at all. Strange...
Perhaps some error from AE or Camera Raw as I use a demo version from where I am for now.
I will record some new files tomorrow to see if I can reproduce the problem and try to see what is the origine (if not I could send you some files).

Thanks,

S/.

motionSOUL

Hello Danne, thanks for giving Switch to the ML community. Your app is dope!
Love the fact that all is included.

A question about darkframe workflow, because I don't seem to understand it even if I watched your youtube videos.
The purpose is to reduce noise at big ISO right?
I have shot two files at 1920x800 - 60 fps - ISO 3200 - 14-bit lossless
The first one is a normal shot.
The second one has been made with same parameters but caps off and really short (200 frames).
I've put the two .mlv files inside a folder at the same hierarchy level, then run Switch.
I've tried to activate the darkframe average automation but nothing came from it.
Could you please explain in short lines how to get a result, a .dng file processed?
I don't know if it is even possible to do this or if you get two files to process in a comp ap. later...

Thanks a lot,

S/.

Danne

I think you need to decompress MLV files from lossless before doing darkframe automation. I think you select (11) in mlv_dump menu to decompress. In compression/decompression menu start by selecting (d) , can't remember if you add more before running (r).

Ok once MLV files are decompressed and ready you can keep all mlv files in the same folder. Select (A) from the main menu and you can choose (1) and then (r).

By the way. If you have trouble getting dng files at all from those files you can find the setting --relaxed in mlv_dump menu. There is some metadara sometimes missing in compressed footage, that is why.
Good luck and don't forget to post your LOG file if you have more issues :).

motionSOUL

Yeah, you are right, the average file hadn't been created because of the 14-bit lossless. I have followed your way and all is OK now, thanks a lot.
The difference between a standard file and a processed one isn't astonished, but the noise is a little bit less pronounced and seems more random (a sort of visible "pattern" effect disappeared).

Thanks...

S/.

adrjork

Hi everyone,
I need your help, please.
I have a very basic question: I use cr2hdr only for mlv to CDNG task (no dual-iso), but I have a strange issue here: after converting mlv into dng I noticed that the very first frames have right colours (even if a bit darker then the original mlv), while from (let's say...) the 4th frame to the end the colours turn into a very dark and bluish tone... In other words, cr2hdr converts badly my 5D3 files.
I have simply set (m) mlv_dump settings, and (10) disable dualiso automation, then (r) run cr2hdr.
My .mlv files are without audio (like legacy raw video) even if made with a recent ML release.
I work on an hackintosh Sierra.
Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Danne

Upload two sample dng files, one good and one bad. If possible upload a MLV file.

Exiv2 is applying white level changes to the dng if you filmed with your camera set to auto white balance(awb). If it stops after the 4th file It might say why in the LOG file also. I need more info to help you. Right now it's guesswork.

Also download the latest. It's renamed to Switch so if you're lucky it might have been fixed.

adrjork

I'm trying Switch right now, and it seems it's solving the problem.

Anyway, yes: I'm converting auto-balanced footage (awb) and this could be the problem.

I also set the camera (5D3) in AdobeRGB color space (instead of the default sRGB), could it be a problem for Switch?

(Thanks a lot as always!!!)

Danne

I think it was broken before for a while. Great that it works on your hackintosh.

adrjork

Dear Danne,

I've completed a long test. I used all auto-balanced MLV files without audio (like legacy RAW files) on 5D3.1.2.3. It seems to me (but I could be wrong) that Switch tries to correct the WB in ALL the awb-files, and I must say that 9 out of 10 it rocks, while 1 out of 10 is (again) very-very dark and blue.

I'd have some question (I've read all the topic, but some doubt remains):

1. Does Switch work well with both sRGB or AdobeRGB files, or it works better with sRGB only?

2. Is my "dark-bluish issue" due only to the awb set of my footage, or could be I didn't properly install Adobe DNG Converter? (I did just drag&drop the app onto Applications folder);

3. Anyway, outputting DNG, the bluish file can be corrected in Davinci Resolve's RAW tab, right?

4. Which is the difference between (m) and (ms) in Switch's Main menu?

5. Once in (m), I usually added only (15) to disable dualiso (my files are not dual-iso) and then (r), but now I notice the "disable vertical stripes in highlights" option. Sorry for the silly question: are there usually vertical highlights stripes is 5D3 footage? (Because I never saw them, but it could be my inobservance);

6. Which is the difference in quality terms between dng vs comressed dng? And if I want to convert MLV into compressed dng, should I add (10) compress dng, or (11) compress MLV?

7. (12) option says "uncompressed exporting": what does it mean? If I don't add this option I should anyway convert a MLV into uncompressed 14bit dng, right? Or not?

8. What is MLVFS?

Sorry for this big bunch of questions :)

Really thanks for your very kind help.

Danne

A lot of questions. Out in the country but will answer a few.

2. Either camera is set to awb or some othr manually selected wb setting. If you have older processed dngs with different white balance just correct it as you do in nle.

3. ms is a specific branch from Bouncyball. Search for it in the forum. It's badass and that is why it's in there. Both m and ms outputs cdng files.

5. I wouldn't touch vertical stripes setting. It's always on.

6. Exactly the same quality but smaller in size. Works for 10bit 12bit files in ms version. Works with 14bit in m version. Compress mlv is for archival of mlv files.

7. Uncompressed. I never use it. Good for inspecting problematic files.

8. Use search

Now back to work. I'll check in later...

adrjork

Many thanks for your useful reply!

It just remains the little doubt about AdobeRGB vs sRGB MLVs: Switch should handle the mlv-to-dng conversion as well, right?

Danne

In cam colorspace has no effect on your dng files. MLV contains raw data. You apply stuff in post. DNG spec itself contains color matrix information and your nle will default into some rec709(viewfriendly) output. You can change all of this with color management, luts etc to reach full raw potential but in post...

Quotewhile 1 out of 10 is (again) very-very dark and blue
You really need to provide sample files of this. Sample package? Easily created from the m or ms menu. Or just upload a dng file.

adrjork

Thanks Danne,

HERE is a zip with: dark/bluish dng (just the first frame*) + correct image (a screenshot of MlRawViewer) + Log file.

(*Just the first frame because actually Switch corrects the former cr2hdr error, that was first frame correct vs the others uncorrect: now Switch works well for all the frames, or - 1of10 - it changes the colours of all the frames.)

Thanks for your time and attention.

Danne

@adjork
Thanks for posting info and dng file. If there still are issues with auto white balance on some of your files I would really like to know to be able to narrow down possible hard to find bugs. The questions are:

1 - After you processed your MLV files into dng files with Switch, what folders with dng files are not having auto white balance applied? You processed a lot of files so if there are multiple folders showing broken auto wb there might be a pattern?

2 - Can you post me a sample of a mlv file that you know is getting the wrong white balance applied in "Switch"? I would like the full sample package. Do following:
With only the problematic MLV file in a folder select (m) for mlv_dump menu then select (17) to build the sample file package.
Thanks

Quote+ correct image (a screenshot of MlRawViewer)
Actually MlRawViewer always outputs the same white balance which isn´t what the AsShotNeutral tag is showing in your dng file. Most likely your kelvin is set low around 2500-3000k in cam(in the blue dng file) and then you put your setting to AWB for auto white balance. WHat happens here is that your 2500-3000k kelvin numbers are registered in MLV therefore the blue output. Now Switch is the only program that applies its own auto white balance numbers to the dng files since the MLV format can´t store AWB. It´s either that or the blue output when opening up the dng file.

Danne

Switch now also works with linux(Ubuntu). I ported most of the processing scripts to Ubuntu. It works almost like the mac automator version but with the difference that the user needs to double click a desktop icon to open up a selection prompt. Just follow the HOWTO inside the download package to get it running. Big thanks to Bouncyball for early testing and feedback. Treat it as beta.

Ubuntu version
SWITCH_LINUX.tar.gz
linux_source_code

Danne

***Saving space for upcoming post***

Switch ported to Linux(see above post)

ErwinH

Looks good Danne!

Does it also run from the command line, over SSH? That would be awesome because I can remotely start the conversion process (using SSH) on pc's that are more suitable for doing those tasks.

What is a normal render time for near full HD to Prores 4444? I had a 20 minute clip that took 11 hours to render from DNG to Prores. Seems a bit long and impractical.

Danne

@ErwinH
Welcome to the world of switches  :).
Ok, are we talking about mac or linux version here? 20 hours for a 20 minute clip sounds like something´s wrong. Or a very slow computer if on mac? Havn´t been able to test extensively on linux. FFmpeg isn´t exactly using all cores when creating the prores files so I parallellized processing to do 4 exports simultaneously for speed reasons.
SSH. I must admit I have no idea about this procedure. Sounds cool though so let me know if I can do something to help you out with this.