Dnxhd Trillions color depth Problem

Started by ali farahani, May 04, 2015, 07:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali farahani

I tried to export my Dng sequence(from Mlv-raw) to avid dnxhd 444 10bit with after effects and change million colors to trillions colors. But my rendred footage is black & white with a lot of vertical black lines in screen. Only when that happens i change million colors to trillion colors in after effects export window .  :(
5DIII,Samyang 14 T3.1, zeiss planar 50mm f1.4 ze,  Zacuto view finder , komputerbay 64gb , RawVideo Lover

ansius

well, as much as I have tried - adobe has problems with all DNxHD when it goes more tha 8 bit. I have been able to export but after that I have problems using the footage in any adobe product. For example I used to make time lapse exports (from AE) for using my later projects and was happy for deeper bit depth DNxHD would give me, but when ever I have to use the footage (now in DNxHD) inside Premere, I would encounter solarisation efects uppon export when "render in grater bit depth" was enabled. somewhat defeats the point, so I dropped using it. I checked my files in Avid and they are fine, adobe just has problems phrasing deeper than 8 bit DNxHD. I used 1080p25 185Mbit 10bit, which is 422. But as I said the problem for me was in what ever bitrate and frame rate when going 10bit.

I would go for other intermediate codec, unless you don't plan to edit in avid. Other thing, I'm not sure there is point having 444 10bit intermediate, it is not considerably faster, nor better grading. I would edit with a proxy, and then replace it with imported dng sequence trough dynamic link in premere for render, or go other way around. Make froxy that you edit and then copy the edit inside AE and relink with original material, and do the color.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

ali farahani

Yes..Thanks. I decide editing the same way like you. So starting with export Dng sequences to quicktime uncompress 422 10bit . Editing Quicktime footages and finaly replace all of them with orginal dng sequences for each shot then grading and export to H.264 for streaming or Film festivals.
But some problems in this way is inevitable:
1. Hard space for keep all dng sequences
2. long time workflow
3. Vfx shots some times needs to graded shots or orginals for better matching
4. reduce noising and grading must apply to dng files and its not too good.
5. When replacing dng sequences and when we want to see the ram preview for matching colors between shots to shots a dng sequence in 16bit color depth with noise reduced ang color graded is too heavy for preview .
I thing Davinci reslove gives better and faster workflow. working with after effects and premiere on dng files must be very patient.
5DIII,Samyang 14 T3.1, zeiss planar 50mm f1.4 ze,  Zacuto view finder , komputerbay 64gb , RawVideo Lover