Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergioBellotto

Hi, my 6D is updated to firmware 1.1.7. Before installing and using ML 2.3 I wanted to know if there are any issues and if someone has tried ML with this Firmware.
I would not have any problems, I'm new to this.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: SergioBellotto on August 18, 2017, 04:45:27 PM
Hi, my 6D is updated to firmware 1.1.7. Before installing and using ML 2.3 I wanted to know if there are any issues and if someone has tried ML with this Firmware.
I would not have any problems, I'm new to this.
This firmware is not supported yet u need to downgrade to 1.1.6.
If you search this thread u'll see links for the firmware coz it's not available on Canon vs site anymore.
ML 2.3 is outdated, u should install the nightly builds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

keepersdungeon

Can someone help me with the x3 crop on the 6D? I tried what Levas did but can't manage to make it work, installed
adtg_gui.mo module but when I activate it all modules makes errors and cam is unusable.
2-One last question on x5 crop does anyone have some sort of lag in the footage? They're nit as smooth as without crop.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Levas

@ keepersdungeon, replied your message about the lagging video.

Using adtg_gui for crop mode recording is a pain in the ... you have to alter several settings/registers with adtg_gui and then it works, BUT as far as I know, you can't save these register/settings and therefore you would have to rechange them every time you turn on your camera.

For crop mode I use the 5x zoom, with magic lantern slow low resolution grayscale preview, for framing my shot. And for the recording I use the 10x zoom, which gives me nice high resolution live view, although not the correct framing( more zoomed in.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on August 25, 2017, 04:44:56 PM
@ keepersdungeon, replied your message about the lagging video.

Using adtg_gui for crop mode recording is a pain in the ... you have to alter several settings/registers with adtg_gui and then it works, BUT as far as I know, you can't save these register/settings and therefore you would have to rechange them every time you turn on your camera.

For crop mode I use the 5x zoom, with magic lantern slow low resolution grayscale preview, for framing my shot. And for the recording I use the 10x zoom, which gives me nice high resolution live view, although not the correct framing( more zoomed in.

Thank for all the infos @Levas
I switch to canon normal display when I zoom in that way i'm sure what I see is what I get
Thank you for the FPS tip.
Had couple of weird artifact when zoomed in to x10 the screen goes crazy with weird colors all over flickering, but installed the experiment version raw12-10bit from august21 seemed to fix it (not sure should test it more, It could be just luck) but I had other problems u can check them out here.

Quote from: keepersdungeon on August 26, 2017, 12:03:25 PM
I'm downloaded the latest experiment version for the 6D (21august)

1-When u activate the FPSoverride the whole image becomes brighter and overexposed , and looks like shutter speed doesn't affect it the only thing that worked was going to f8 or f16, didn't have that prob with previous version (Jul03)
**FPS settings: 24fps, fix, and the rest didn't touch it

2-I'm also getting this error every time I start recording on an empty SD card (error was in both versions jul03 and august21)
   "FAILED: "WBAL3: queued:7 failed: 1 (requeued)" and I only get it once it doesn't seem to affect the video though or WB, and have a feeling I only get it when there's nothing on the SD card and I hit Record

keepersdungeon

After shooting a bit more with the experiment 12 bit raw version of August 21. Adding to the list I mentioned above (FPS and WBAL), I had one weird message saying "unable to write RAW Data" I could not replicate it and I'm not sure if it did something to the photo coz I don't remember which one it gave me this message on.
Anyone having these bugs while trying the experiment 12bit raw version of ML?

123kid

hey, iam new in this forum,

anyone can tell why the shutter speed is locked on 1/27 in the experimental nightly build magiclantern firmware for the 10/12bit recording?
is this a bug? its always 1/27 but i can change it with the wheel...but no it didnt change in the menu.

bw

nuevaola

Quote from: isoro7 on April 29, 2017, 02:39:03 AM
So i just installed ML on my 6D, the problem is when im within the interface it keeps flickering. There seems to be another menu that keeps flickering in and out. It's a bit troubling or is it normal? please let me know.

i have the same problem, i follow every steps. The ML menu interface switch flickering between canon menu every 10 seconds.

Levas

I'm not using the latest experimental build, so can't reproduce what you're saying.

Are you in M mode on the mode dial ?

And I'm wondering, what does your display on top of your 6d say for shutter time ?
Could it be just a wrong number in the ML interface ? I'll always trust on the shutter time which is displayed on the top display of the Canon 6d.

dfort

The menu flickering is a known issue:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1974/6d-m-100d-70d-in-live-view-mode-ml-menu

Quote from: 123kid on October 01, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
anyone can tell why the shutter speed is locked on 1/27 in the experimental nightly build magiclantern firmware for the 10/12bit recording?

Reset ML and Canon settings and try it again. Still happening? Try the Nightly build and see if it is happening there. If you can consistantly reproduce the issue write up a detailed bug report either here or in the issues section of Bitbucket:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues

I don't have access to a 6D so I need to find a volunteer to run a test on that camera. I need to create some test builds and will follow up with a post on how to run the test.

dfort

Ok--got everything ready. I need someone to run a test on the 6D. First of all let's start with the current Nightly build.

The way to run the test is fairly simple. Turn on both the mlv_rec and mlv_snd modules and activate those modules. I prefer to reduce the frame to the smallest size because we're only checking for an audio issue. The first time you record an MLV clip the audio meters should work normally. What I'm interested in is what happens on the second through the forth clip. Make sure not to restart the camera between takes. Do the audio meters continue to operate normally?

Please report back then continue on with some test builds. Instead of repeating myself just follow the instructions on the following post only substituting 6D for 7D:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg191123#msg191123

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT] I just realized that if you've been following this test closely you'll see that there is a slight difference between the 6D and 7D. The 6D actually uses StopASIFDMAADC to stop the audio but it is hacked so that SoundDevShutDownIn uses the address for StopASIFDMAADC. The 7D doesn't have that hack and uses SoundDevShutDownIn to stop the audio. That means that the "A" build for the 6D has SoundDevShutDownIn commented out while the 7D has StopASIFDMAADC commented out in the "A" build.

It might seem strange to fix something that is currently working albeit with an ugly hack. I'd like to get rid of that hack in order to make it easier to implement improvements like g3ggo's new sound system branch.

DeafEyeJedi

6D owners-

PLEASE read @dfort's post up above. We are actually getting closer to receive a green light on a complete new sound-system from @g3gg0 which will soon to be integrated for ML running cams.

In order for this to happen we need at least one or two 6D users to do this brief test for us. Only takes no more than 15 minutes of your time.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Audionut

A and B seem fine, C had the audio failed to stop error.

dfort

Thanks @Audionut - Pretty much as expected on A and C. Good to know we can use both SoundDevShutDownIn and StopASIFDMAADC in tandem (build B).

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on October 03, 2017, 09:44:51 AM
I'm not using the latest experimental build, so can't reproduce what you're saying.

Are you in M mode on the mode dial ?

And I'm wondering, what does your display on top of your 6d say for shutter time ?
Could it be just a wrong number in the ML interface ? I'll always trust on the shutter time which is displayed on the top display of the Canon 6d.
I was thinking the same but the exposure works well in normal mode it's just when u x5.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: dfort on October 05, 2017, 12:20:35 AM
Ok--got everything ready. I need someone to run a test on the 6D. First of all let's start with the current Nightly build.

The way to run the test is fairly simple. Turn on both the mlv_rec and mlv_snd modules and activate those modules. I prefer to reduce the frame to the smallest size because we're only checking for an audio issue. The first time you record an MLV clip the audio meters should work normally. What I'm interested in is what happens on the second through the forth clip. Make sure not to restart the camera between takes. Do the audio meters continue to operate normally?

Please report back then continue on with some test builds. Instead of repeating myself just follow the instructions on the following post only substituting 6D for 7D:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg191123#msg191123

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT] I just realized that if you've been following this test closely you'll see that there is a slight difference between the 6D and 7D. The 6D actually uses StopASIFDMAADC to stop the audio but it is hacked so that SoundDevShutDownIn uses the address for StopASIFDMAADC. The 7D doesn't have that hack and uses SoundDevShutDownIn to stop the audio. That means that the "A" build for the 6D has SoundDevShutDownIn commented out while the 7D has StopASIFDMAADC commented out in the "A" build.

It might seem strange to fix something that is currently working albeit with an ugly hack. I'd like to get rid of that hack in order to make it easier to implement improvements like g3ggo's new sound system branch.

With the current nightly build sound seem to work all through second and 4th time.
Although with the tests A/B couldn't see if it's working coz try to record with them I get "setup Fail. Memory card full" message error on the screen

dfort

Hi 6D users -- I got another one for you. How about crop_rec?

We're making changes on the crop_rec module that should make it easier to add cameras to it. I realized that the 6D might already work with it so I compiled a module that supports the 6D and uploaded it to my Bitbucket downloads page.

Like other cameras besides the 5D3 it just supports the basic 3x3_1X mode but that is a pretty cool feature. Set the Canon menu to 1280x720 50/60 fps and you should be able to record 60fps in a wide aspect ratio without the ugly aliasing caused by 5x line skipping in the regular 1280x720 (mv720) setting. This works both in raw and H.264. The 6D has a slower write speed than the 5D3 so it won't be able to do slow-mo raw but you can FPS override or use H.264 with it. Note that the LiveView screen will look a little strange with this module.

It is also possible to add lossless compression to the 6D and I'm looking into it. I don't have access to the camera so if anyone wants to pitch in and help it would be greatly appreciated. This is the branch I'm working on. One piece of the puzzle that I'm missing is the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE. There's a good chance it is the same as some of the other cameras but it would be great if a tech savvy 6D owner could verify it on the camera. (Hint - print it from srm_malloc_cbr)

NunoCaldeira

will try it tomorrow

dfort

As long as you're going to try it--how about the whole crop_rec_4k enchilada?

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Look for the one named: crop_rec_4k.2017Oct15.6D116.zip

Everything in my previous post applies except now you have lossless compression too. This is a highly experimental build. I'm taking a guess that SRM_BUFFER_SIZE is the same as the 5D3. If that doesn't work I'll have to make a special build that prints the value of the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE on the screen.

Levas

@dfort You got my attention  :D

Tested the highly experimental build: crop_rec_4k.2017Oct15.6D116
Used the mlv_rec module and the crop_rec module (So not MLV_Lite)
And I got this error on screen and I believe error 70 on the top display

QuoteML ASSERT:
SRM_BUFFER_SIZE == raw_buffer_size
at ../../src/exmem.c:380 (srm_malloc_cbr), task RscMgr
lv:1 mode:3

RscMgr stack: 174e70 [174f88-173f88]
0xUNKNOWN  @ ea80:174f80
0xUNKNOWN  @ 39dbc:174f58
0x00039AB4 @ ff0ef3d0:174f20
0xUNKNOWN  @ 39ae4:174f10
0xUNKNOWN  @ 39b6c:174ef0
0xFF202134 @ ff204488:174ed8
0xUNKNOWN  @ ff202304:174eb0
0x0044C930 @ 45b8ec:174ea0
0x0044C468 @ 44c990:174e70

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2017Oct15.6D116
Mercurial changeset   : 5a67a9cd8aa9 (crop_rec_4k_6D_wip) tip
Built on 2017-10-16 01:49:21 UTC by rosiefort@RosieFoComputer.
Free Memory  : 304K + 2315K

Levas

Wanted to try the crop_rec module from the 6D-crop_rec.zip.
But I can't get it to work with the latest nightly build for 6d ?
It won't load/link the modules at camera startup.

Levas

While changing memory cards a few times for testing the builds of dfort, I got two times that the red led led light started burning and stayed on while the camera didn't react to on/off button, battery pull solved it. Never seen this before, should I be worried that the error from a few post earlier has to do with this behaviour ?

dfort

It looks like crop_rec_4k isn't quite ready. I'll need some more help from a 6D user. Please PM me so we don't hijack this topic.

Danne

Word has it this version is working with lossless recording. Levas tested it:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct17.6D116_lossless.zip

Will post commit soon.

Levas

Lossless recording in the above build, use the mlv_lite module not the standard mlv_rec.mo module