Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile

Coming from 1.1.3 Do you simply fomat card with ml on, then update firmware to 1.1.6 and then put ML for 1.1.6 on your card?

Thans in advance

fpschris

Thank you for your time spent on this already.

I had a feature on my 60 magic lantern that allowed F and ISO ramping for sunset to night sky timelapses etc...

Is this on the to do list?
Would save me getting the rasbery pi kit into the mix.

Will also be testing the latest out this weekend, hoping the weather is nice.

erox76

Please help!!! I have been trying to downgrade back to 1.1.3 but when I try to, with the ML-6D113.FIR in the nightly zip, my camera briefly says loading with the gray screen, then goes black and the LED flashes! How do I get back to 1.1.3?

When initially trying to downgrade back to 1.1.3 i literally had to uninstall ML 1.1.6 to even be able to get 113 on my card!

HELP, i'm stuck on 1.1.6 with no ML

Walter Schulz

Format card using cardreader.
Format card using cam.
Copy Canon's firmware 1.1.3 to card.
Run firmware update from canon's menu.
Delete Canon's FIR from card.
Copy extracted nightly build content (for firmware 1.1.3) to card's root.
Run firmware upgrade.

tin.tin

Is there a problem with "White balance" in ML1.1.6 ?
With ML 1.1.3 on my 6D, using ML white balance function (not Canon one) results where ok, but now, outside/inside/anywhere the "White balance" is tinting hard blue/green, no matter what.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here?

erox76

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 30, 2015, 06:18:53 AM
Format card using cardreader.
Format card using cam.
Copy Canon's firmware 1.1.3 to card.
Run firmware update from canon's menu.
Delete Canon's FIR from card.
Copy extracted nightly build content (for firmware 1.1.3) to card's root.
Run firmware upgrade.

I understand that, where do I get 113 from?? The one that comes in the download is modified right? As it does not seem to work.

Audionut

Look at the opening post of the 1.1.3 thread.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: erox76 on May 31, 2015, 10:10:22 AM
I understand that, where do I get 113 from?? The one that comes in the download is modified right? As it does not seem to work.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0

Omnitographer

Just tried it out yesterday (1.1.6), seemed pretty solid, camera only locked up once and that was while playing arkanoid. It was my first time using the dual-iso module, and it looked like it was trying to alternate the light version and the dark version  when it popped up after shooting, but failing miserably, i'm not sure what normal behavior for dual-iso looks like. Also... should the various overlays (highlights, focus, etc) be visible during normal playback or only when the camera first reviews the image after it's shot?

rktaylor

I hope I understand the upgrade of my firmware correctly going from 1.1.3 to 1.1.6.

I've had 1.1.3 installed for the last few years and it's worked fine.  I want to upgrade to 1.1.6.

It appears that all I need to do is:

1.  Upgrade 6D's firmware to 1.1.6
2.  Copy the following over to my SD card
     a. Autoexec.bin
     b. ML directory
     c. ML-6D116.FIR

Is that the necessary steps with a camera that already is using 1.1.3?

thanks
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L

Carljh

Although have been a Canon SLR/DSLR user for a very long time, have only just discovered Magic Lantern and decided to give it a try in my 6D.  Although I have played around with it very little at the moment, have found that the Help files are missing.  I admit that because they were PDF files, I didn't copy them across to the SD card when I installed ML initially.  I have since copied the unzipped help files across to the card but still nothing comes up when I click any help topic.  Any ideas?

Walter Schulz

Yes, read nightly build instructions ...
=====
What are the disadvantages of nightly builds?

[...]

- No documentation - the only help for new features is a small line of text, and ML source code.
=====

ssepan

BTW, regarding the menus disappearing quickly in LiveView, there is an old post (10/24/12) by A1ex on the subject of AF Confirm Chips, on cameras with newer than Digic4, where the menus were closing quickly. (Grasping at straws here, but I thought I'd mention it in case there is a hint of a clue in there somewhere.)

About 10th post on page 1/1:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3312.0

To be clear, I'm not saying that the presence / absence of the electrical contacts causes it. (In fact, on my 6D, the timeout is the same 6 seconds whether a lens has the contacts or not). But if the 5D3's AF logic was sending some signal one to two seconds (after the menu button press), maybe there is something in the 6D sending a signal 6 seconds after the last button press. (What waits 6 seconds in the 6D, I wonder.)

Also, although repeatedly pressing the Q button will NOT delay the timeout at all, spinning the back control wheel will delay it indefinitely, until about 6 seconds after you stop.

6D | 5Dc | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF  75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/2.5 macro

CampX

First post in here, just downloaded and installed ML 2 days ago, just became a member of the forum. 
All I can say is 'holymotherofgod', this just opened the door to what my 6d will do! 
I just bought a 6d three weeks ago, stepping up from a 7d.  I am interested in getting started in astrophotography, and needed an intervalometer.  After weighing all the options (and figuring out the risk-to-reward ratio), I decided on installing MagicLantern.  This meant installing 1.1.3 on the body, which probably took the longest, as I had real fun trying to find it!
I don't shoot video, just stills.  Already the ETTR and dual-ISO features have me HOOKED.  Amazing the dynamic range that exists on the camera, it just needed to be unlocked.
I am not very computer-savy, but within a less than an hour, I downloaded and installed CR2HDR, and BarracudaGUI, just for post-processing the dual-ISO files, which I then play with in Lightroom6.  Easy, and sweet results.

Levas

Haven't had time to try the 1.1.6. ML.

But what did you early beta testers find out ?
Does it work as good as 1.1.3 or are there some things missing/ not working in 1.1.6 compared to 1.1.3 ?

If it works as good as 1.1.3, maybe 1.1.6 can be put on the nightly builds ?

Walter Schulz

And a very good morning to you, too!

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 6D.116

Levas

Missed that  :P
Just the first day it's availanle...

Does it offer the same functionality as the 1.1.3?

ddelreal

Might try 1.1.6 later today too. Is it working okay for everybody???

Sapporo

Will try it soon. First time to uninstall magic lantern, format all the cards, update the firmware and after that reinstall magic lantern.

Walter Schulz

Just format one card in cam (Q=delete ML option), update Canon firmware. Delete Canon firmware, copy latest nightly build contents to card and run firmware update.
On other cards it is sufficient to delete ML directory, *.FIR and autoexec.bin and copy extracted nightly build contents to cards.

Sapporo

I should have written: First, time to uninstall.

Everythings works as it did before. I have a new one, Load H264.ini in video mode, but it is emty.

Maqs

Quote from: Sapporo on June 21, 2015, 12:42:12 PM
I should have written: First, time to uninstall.

Everythings works as it did before. I have a new one, Load H264.ini in video mode, but it is emty.

This should work as for the 5D3 and loads bitrate settings from ML\H264.ini. The tragic lantern bitrate functions had been removed from 6D113, so I thought it may be a good idea to at least enable .ini loading (again?) in 6D116, as it seems way more safe.

See for example H265-alli.ini and H264-ipb.ini (for 5D3).

Marsu42

Quote from: Sapporo on June 21, 2015, 12:42:12 PM
Everythings works as it did before.

Yippeee! Clap your hands for the work of Maqs and JLGW! And thanks to Alex for clicking the "Accept pull request" button! Popcorn! :-)