Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otekki

Hi Guys

I have just got my 6D after using a 600D (with magic lantern) for the last 3 years. My 6D came with 1.1.6 installed so I downgraded to 1.1.3 to install magic lantern. I have just come across this post, am I right in thinking I can now upgrade to 1.1.6 and download this build? It seems the firmware upgrade was fairly small and no one is noticing any major issues with ML running on 1.1.6?

Ryan
Canon 6D / 24-105mm L / 50mm 1.8
Video Producer.

wss

Hi folk.... boy I think I am in trouble....
I forgot to take off ML from the SD card during the firmware upgrade and now after the upgrade.... The 6D now does not turn on...
OMG...
Is there anything I can do??  Or I must bring it back to Canon??
Thanks for any feedback!!!

Licaon_Kter

Do detail exactly what you did.
you had what in the camera?
you had what on the card?
you did what?

ssepan

Ryan,
I've only had it on my 6D (1.1.6) for a couple weeks, but it has given me no problems.
I have not tried any of the RAW/video stuff; I mostly use the Focus Peaking, Magic Zoom, and the ETTR hint meter, and the like.
There is a separate download link for the 6D 1.1.6, posted a couple of times somewhere in this or the other forum.

Steve
6D | 5Dc | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF  75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/2.5 macro

otekki

Thanks Steve. I'm assuming that's the link from the first post?

If so I will give it a download tonight and try it out. Will obviously report any issues. I'm the same, I just want focus peaking really and the crop marks, need to try RAW video too
Canon 6D / 24-105mm L / 50mm 1.8
Video Producer.

csoller

Hi folks, can i copy my 1.1.3 nightly settings file to the 1.1.6 folder?

Kathode-Ray

Yes, you can copy all the settings from the settings directory.
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

Kathode-Ray

Quote from: wss on May 18, 2015, 06:22:47 PM
Hi folk.... boy I think I am in trouble....
I forgot to take off ML from the SD card during the firmware upgrade and now after the upgrade.... The 6D now does not turn on...
OMG...
Is there anything I can do??  Or I must bring it back to Canon??
Thanks for any feedback!!!

First, take out the battery and the card. Then re-insert the battery and turn on your camera without a card. Does it work?
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

ssepan

Ryan,
The first post in this forum, Yes. 8)
Hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.

Steve
6D | 5Dc | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF  75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/2.5 macro

grey

To developers: What about new features in ML for 6d 1.1.6? Audio features is still not implemented. Framing in MLV for 1824*xxx resolution is incorrect. Pressing Zoom button while recording MLV crashes the camera. Level indicator is green only in center, why?

aequinox

Hi,

first of all thank you so much for investing your time and knowledge. I do have to say you seem to have a good taste in local radio stations ;-)
I've been playing with ML on 1.1.6. for a couple of days already and so far everything is working just fine for me (I mostly use it for the Focus Trap).

However, today I managed to drain my battery completely and discovert a strang behaviour. When the camera powered off due to the lack of energy, the LED and the empty-battery-indicator symbol on the shoulder display kept flashing indeffinetely eventhough I switched the camera off. I swaped the ML-SD Card with a regular one and it stopped. But when I put the ML-SD Card back in, the LED and symbol started to flash again though the camera was still switched off.

This happened never before and only occured now after I updated, therefore I thought this could be connected to ML. Definetely no dealbreaker though ;-)

Once again: awesome work!

Greetings

Dennis

Walter Schulz

Check Prefs tab -> Warning for bad settings. Anything ON there?

Maqs

Quote from: grey on May 20, 2015, 06:24:11 PM
To developers: What about new features in ML for 6d 1.1.6?
It's "just" a port, therefore there won't (and shouldn't) be any new features in it. We need to take small steps. The main reason for the port are the auto focus bug fixes by Canon. Bugs that are in ML for 1.1.3 as well need to be found, but can be fixed later.

Audio features is still not implemented.

The new sound system is supported. It does not make sense to implement the old one when a new one is already in development. Once new-sound-system is merged, everything should just work.

Framing in MLV for 1824*xxx resolution is incorrect. Pressing Zoom button while recording MLV crashes the camera. Level indicator is green only in center, why?
Are those 1.1.6 only or do they happen with 1.1.3 as well? Has anybody else experienced the crash?

Levas

Crash on zooming while recording in MLV happened a lot to me, on 1.1.3
Has to do with global draw settings in the raw recording menu, it must be set to allow or something.
When global draw settings are ok, you can record and press zoom without crash (on 1.1.3)

Kathode-Ray

Just did a quick test, the camera freezes here as well when the zoom button is pressed during MLV recording.

Global draw OFF or Allow doesn't make any difference, even if I disable it in the Overlay menu. MLV_snd loaded or not also doesn't matter.

The camera locks up, but the AF keeps working. Eventually, Err 80 shows up. The LCD stays on, even if the camera is switched off, I have to pull the battery.

Levas

You did try both global draw settings?
There's on in the 3th tab in the ML menu, Global draw - ON, all modes.
And there is one in the raw video(MLV) menu, Global draw - Allow.

The settings above work for me on firmware 1.1.3
Although I must say that I have the option magic zoom enabled, so pressing zoom while recording gives me the magic zoom 1:1 window.

Without the right global draw settings, the 1.1.3. build also crashes on pressing zoom with magic zoom enabled while recording.

Kathode-Ray

Yes, I tried all settings. It doesn't seem to matter with 1.1.6.

trinitypics

Hi Folks

I am new to the ML forum, but from some experience of other forums, it seems that people ask a question via a new thread, ans often get told to look at some other thread previously posted, and then other times, someone asks a question within an established thread, and get told off for hijacking the thread.  So, my apologise if I am one of the above, and I hope I am asking in the right place.................

I have been a Canon user for some 30 years, and yesterday spashed out and upgraded from a 50D to the 6D  :D

I have heard of ML for a long time but as yet never gotten round to trying it.

My issue is 2 fold:

1: I have that annoying issue with the GPS, remaining on and draining the battery, so ML is the answer as I believe you can use ML to overcome that and trun GPS off properley when turning the 6D off.

2: My new 6D is of course pre loaded with Firmware 1.1.6.   A: Is it now reasonable to believe that using ML with the Firmware 1.1.6 is OK  B: From what is said on the ML downloads page for the 6D download (Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3. (not latest!)) I am assuming that maybe there is a different file to download, so please can someone give me the 'easy' guide as to what I need to do to install this ML for 6D'.

Adge

Levas

The safe way (if there is any with ML  :P ) is to go to the downloads page.
Then click the button 'Download the nightly builds' and download the latest 6d 1.1.3.
Inside your download is a firmware update to 1.1.3.
You also need to make your SD cards bootable.
Here's the complete install guide:

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

trinitypics

Thank you Levas.

The following 3 lines do confuse me though:

Make sure you are running the right Canon firmware version, specified on the download page
You can check your firmware version by setting your mode dial to Manual (M) and looking in the Canon menu.
Nothing bad will happen if you try to run ML on a different firmware version - the card LED will start blinking and you'll have to take the battery out. Magic Lantern checks firmware version before attempting to run.

Does that mean I have to change my camera Firmware version from 1.1.6 backwards to 1.1.3 for it to install? Or is it simply telling me that with 1.1.6, when the LED starts blinking, I remove the battery, put it back, and the install will occur?

Thank you.

Adge

keepersdungeon

Quote from: trinitypics on May 25, 2015, 07:06:45 PM
Does that mean I have to change my camera Firmware version from 1.1.6 backwards to 1.1.3 for it to install?
Yeah that's exactly what it means u need to downgrade ur firmware to 1.1.3 if u've downloaded ML from the nightly builds.
Unless u're trying ML for the firmware 1.1.6 that u can find in the 1st post

Levas

Yup, what keepersdungeon says.
Use the firmware file that came with the magic lantern download, it's the .fir file.
You can put it on a SD card and and run the firmware update on your camera(it's in the canon menu, see your camera manual).

If you wanna go back to 1.1.6, download the firmware update from the Canon website. (but then 1.1.3 magic lantern won't run anymore)

Maqs

Quote from: Levas on May 25, 2015, 07:56:20 PM
Yup, what keepersdungeon says.
Use the firmware file that came with the magic lantern download, it's the .fir file.
You can put it on a SD card and and run the firmware update on your camera(it's in the canon menu, see your camera manual).

If you wanna go back to 1.1.6, download the firmware update from the Canon website. (but then 1.1.3 magic lantern won't run anymore)

See first post for ML for 1.1.6. It should have about the same bugs as 1.1.3, otherwise feel free to contact me with details. I'll start fixing them (and adding new features) once 1.1.6 has been merged. If everybody decides to use 1.1.3 instead, there will be nobody testing the fixes anyway. ;-)

Kathode-Ray

Quote from: trinitypics on May 25, 2015, 07:06:45 PM
Does that mean I have to change my camera Firmware version from 1.1.6 backwards to 1.1.3 for it to install? Or is it simply telling me that with 1.1.6, when the LED starts blinking, I remove the battery, put it back, and the install will occur?

Thank you.

Adge

Hi Adge,

You can safely run ML with the 1.1.6 firmware. Just download the nightly-like zip from the first post.

It works fine :-)

abergon

Hi, I just would like to report that I upgraded my 6D's firmware version to 1.1.6 and reinstalled MagicLantern afterwards, with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the great job,

Albert