New 5D MIII with Magic Lantern

Started by A787, April 28, 2015, 07:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A787

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to purchase a 5D MIII in the next few weeks, possibly early May.
However I did a bit of research and came across some discussions on how Canon is not allowing some firmware update and as such the newer cameras wont be able to have Magic Lantern running on them.
My main and only purpose of purchasing a 5D is to use Magic Lantern, if this is true I might look into another camera.

Has anyone bought a 5D recently and experienced such issues?
Your advices are much appreciated, many thanks.

Cheers,
:)

Walter Schulz

Downgrading 1.3.3 to 1.1.3 or 1.2.3: Use EOS Utility with cam connected to cam. You have to be in photo mode, LV off.

pixies

Maybe by mentioning the 'newer cameras,' they were referring to the Canon 5DS that's coming out in a month or so.  How can they prevent a firmware update anyways in any DSLR? 

Walter Schulz

Don't mix up bullshit hearsay with reality.
The issue at hand is Canon's firmware 1.3.3 for 5D3 which will block downgrading to older versions when camera menu "Firmware update" is used. Will do with EOS Utility, though.

pixies

Ok, but you just proved my point...they CAN'T block you from changing your firmware.   

Walter Schulz

They can. If they want.
- Technically they can make devs life much much harder. With ease.
- And they can call up their lawyers. And that would be worse.

pixies

Yes, it's possible, (albeit unlikely), but only on future models of course, not on the ones that have already been released, like the 5DIII that the OP was referring to.

Walter Schulz

May I ask if your opinion is backed by facts or are you just guessing?

And legal option doesn't care about that stuff at all.

pixies

It's based on facts.  I'm not guessing.  What is this legal option that you're talking about?  Once you own a piece of hardware, you can do pretty much what you want with it.  For example, I overclock my $489 CPU, and it performs equal to Intel's $1,049 CPU.  Am I cheating?

Walter Schulz

Present your facts, please.
I reject your example because your logic is flawed. I hope you can do better.

pixies

Where is you legal argument?  You are presenting no facts.

Walter Schulz

pixies

What I said is true, factual, and scientifically sound.  I'm giving you a homework assignment, so you will remember this and understand this by your own efforts.  If you have a computer programming degree, re-read certain sections.  If you don't have a computer programming degree, sign up at your local community college.  Good luck.

g3gg0

can you please stop this discussion? thats not what the thread is about.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

LJR

Hello. Magic Lantern for 5DMii 2.1.2 not available for download. Error message: This build failed. Im a first time user, can anyone help? Thanks.