Canon EOS M3

Started by Hector, February 07, 2015, 01:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justkeepexploring

Just FYI, Canon is releasing the EOS M3 and all of the current EOS M lenses in the US in early Oct! 

usting316

any update on eos m3 on magic lantern? i have an eos m with ML and i use it for timelapse. will get an eos m3 this coming days. i hope ML will support m3

nikfreak

I guess you will not see ML on M3 but as stated earlier it's likely to run CHDK
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Ant123

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

usting316

Ant123 wow great progress :D

stoopkid

Ant, is there any chance of getting an option to turn off Exposure Simulation any time soon on CHDK? Because I've got to return this thing otherwise.

Ant123

Quote from: stoopkid on October 08, 2015, 06:17:23 AM
Ant, is there any chance of getting an option to turn off Exposure Simulation any time soon on CHDK?
I think it is more appropriate to talk about it on CHDK forum...

Chopeca

I just got myself an M3. The body is just so much nicer than the original one, and I wanted to be able to flip the screen. Unfortunately, the video quality this camera produces now is awful, and you can't even use manual settings. The exposure settings it lands on are usually bizarre.  Really hoping Magic Lantern makes its way onto this camera, because it would be the best videocamera for the buck. With the EF-M mount you can get image-stabilized lenses really cheap (unlike EF full-frame), so you don't need to carry around a lot of equipment. The write speed might even be enough to get 1080p RAW now.

cpreston

You can't shoot in manual on the M3?  Is that right?  That seems so strange since you can shoot in manual on the M1.  In any case, I'm sticking with the M1 unless ML is somehow made to work on the M3.  Very unlikely.  The EOS-M is a really nice little camera with ML.  I would love better video quality and I've heard that the M3 is slightly better, but ML is the key to making it useable for video in my opinion.

stoopkid

Chopeca, in video mode press "set" then the first icon in the top left selects between auto and manual.

Chopeca

Thank you so much stoopkid! ;) That is awesome.

dimitri

M3 is a great little camera for movie capturing and it really needs magic lantern, soon.
Some months ago I was joking on this thread by saying "I  am not sure if it really needs it".
In fact I was expecting that the developers would have made it quickly for this special camera.
Unfortunately things now show that it is very difficult to see anything on the horizon.
CHDK porting for M3 is not a good turn, because CHDK is mainly not for video.
In fact CHDK is a good option for point and shoot cameras that do not have many manual controls.
M3 with CHDK would be able to run some scripts for interval stills shooting: but you can do this very easily with an external remote timer and you do not need CHDK.
I would love to see the the zebras, the Kelvin white balance, time lapse videos through "fps override', the override of shutter speeds during movie capturing, the bit rate control and so many other unique features if only Magic Lantern could run on M3.

Walter Schulz

Chopeca

Quote from: cpreston on November 07, 2015, 06:10:19 AM
[...]I would love better video quality and I've heard that the M3 is slightly better, but ML is the key to making it useable for video in my opinion.
You are right. I've been using this camera for video since stoopkid pointed me in the right direction, and the video barely passes for 720p. There's very little detail. It's a shame because the body is a lot nicer than the M1, with a real grip, accentuated button placement for record and a moving screen.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the zebra is very unreliable on longer distances. With the active focus ring on the kit lens being so short, it's incredibly difficult to focus on the move.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 15, 2015, 11:26:08 PM
Won't happen ...
How come?

dfort

Quote from: Chopeca on November 15, 2015, 11:54:36 PM
How come?

Because the firmware on the M3 (and M10) is apparently based on the Powershot models while Magic Lantern hooks into the firmware for Canon DSLR's. The CHDK project has done some pretty amazing things with point & shoot cameras and CHDK does work on the M3.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/M3

Rumor has it that the M2 has better video than the M1 or M3 and porting Magic Lantern to the M2 is possible.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15895.0

usting316

this is a sad news. was hoping to sell the eos m1, now i will be selling the m3 :(

Chopeca

Quote from: dfort on November 16, 2015, 03:56:54 AM
Because the firmware on the M3 (and M10) is apparently based on the Powershot models while Magic Lantern hooks into the firmware for Canon DSLR's. The CHDK project has done some pretty amazing things with point & shoot cameras and CHDK does work on the M3.
Damn. Thanks so much for letting me know! I'll follow the M2 thread to see what happens.

godashram

I can tell you what's going on with the M2.... waiting on a dev to take it up :(
Canon T5I, EOS M2

dimitri

Quote from: Chopeca on November 15, 2015, 11:54:36 PM
You are right. I've been using this camera for video since stoopkid pointed me in the right direction, and the video barely passes for 720p.
Sorry I would not agree with this opinion.
Instead I quote a link for a movie test on M3

usting316

@ant can u send me files so i can use the intervalometer options on my m3? Thanks

idubuda

Ant 123, when the files for the M3 are going to be available? I'm really interested on using it

cheers

Diego

thetechhimself

Technically it's CHDK, not ML, so you'd have to bug him over there.

That said they've stonewalled on development; appears to be a dead subject; different propcase set than standard Powershots thus CHDK doesn't give you control over codec (or any other video) options as it's making bad function/mismatched/unmatched calls against the M3. They'd have to rewrite their existing base code to accommodate is what I gather, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

Messy

Sorry to bump this thread.

Where are we at with a M3 build? Any success?

josepvm

M3 and M10 firmwares are based on Powershot series firmware, not on EOS DSLR's, so Magic Lantern cannot run on these cameras. In theory porting CHDK to EOS M3 is possible, and some initial work has been done, but there is no a completed CHDK port so far.