MLV--Syncing .WAV with Image Sequence in FCPX?

Started by coryaycock, April 18, 2015, 06:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coryaycock

Hi,

I am shooting 23.976 1/48 shutter speed with nightly on my 7D.  I double-click the MLV file in my card's folder and a WAV file is created.  I then go into ML RawViewer, export the DNGS, take the DNGS into Lightroom, export TIFFS, make an image sequence in Compressor and then take the sequence into FCPX.  I then drag the WAV file under my sequence in FCPX.  The WAV will not match up with the clip.  I used a clapper board.  I read that you line up the beginning and then just snip off the end of the audio file but this isn't the case with my attempt to sync. 

The boom mic and camera mic audio are syncing together fine, but the picture doesn't seem to be able to sync with any of the audio.  It eventually becomes out of sync after the clapper board sound.  Am I doing something simple that is causing me not to be able to line up picture and sound?  I don't understand why it won't just sync. 

*Also, I don't know if this applies but when I move my .WAV file from the card folder to the desktop I get this error on my Mac. "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "M17-0940.WAV" can't be read or written.
(Error code -36)"

N/A

First, make sure that the "skip frames" option in the mlv menu is off. Transfer the mlv's to your computer and then use MLRawviewer to render to dng's and the wav at the same time.

When rendering to an image sequence, make sure to use the exact same fps that the mlv was recorded with, it's all too easy to render a 23.976 file to 24p by accident. And don't forget to zoom in to your FCPX timeline when placing the wav at the beginning of the sequence.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

coryaycock

N/A, you are a champion.  For my image sequence in Compressor, it was set at 29.97 fps. 

paulnwajei

I think you should check your project or event settings. make sure its the same as your clip.