30 frames VS 24 Frames.

Started by hankki, April 10, 2015, 01:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

its interesting to know, that these visual/psychological conditioning affects more the western culture than fi the asians. they have far less "problems" looking movies with 48/50/60fps. interesting as well, a lot of people have got a lcd-tv with these frame-multipliers/motion-interpolation (100/200/300/600Hz), a lot just do not see the impact on the visual, a lot dont know that this setting is responsible for it, titantic looks like cosby-show (soap-effect).

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Licaon_Kter

I had recently a strange encounter with a TV, large screen LG 55"/3D or bigger (forgot to take note of the exact series), and although I looked around the menus for some sort of frame-rate setting, I could not find it.

Anyway, it was a strange encounter because I was seeing the same CSI like shows, but they had (how do I put this in to words?), a realistic feeling, like the news crew filmed the whole show and maybe that won't be a problem but everything looked fake and wrong.

mannfilm

24fps is the standard because it is as cheap - as slow - as you can go with expensive film emulsion and maintain the illusion of lip sync. Back the early 1900's silent days it was 16fps because there was no lip sync. Today, shooting RAW, producers like 24fps because its as cheap as you can go for storage, rendering, color correction, etc. - remember, not too long ago, storage and arrays used to be very, very  expensive. Is 24fps a "real" film look? Who knows, the producers use it because it is cheap. 

Kharak

24 is magic! Look at the Hobbit 48 fps.. It was like watching a documentary, I was totally blown off by it.. I couldn't get in to the story, I was just looking at actors acting and CGI happening.

What absolutely ruins films that I watch one Televisions, for me, is the implemented "truemotion", "Flowmotion" or whatever name these TV producers call it. Its basically scrapping everything you've done with a movie to get that cinematic feel and throw a "Soab Opera Documentary" Effect on top of it all..

I can't watch netflix, because even though I have deactivated all the crap on my TV, netflix via Anynet+ activates all the shit again so they can stream a "high quality" image. And I can't access the image menu while on netflix..

I don't care where I am, in a store, at family or friends place, I go in on menu and deactivate all the crap. I think in my heart, I am doing them a cinematic favor ;)

My 5 cents.

once you go raw you never go back

chmee

???
Quote..What absolutely ruins films that I watch one Televisions, for me, is the implemented "truemotion", "Flowmotion" or whatever name these TV producers call it..
by 99.99% its not the tv-station. its your tv and/or the player!

whats the framerate in cinema? on film-projectors?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Kharak

I know its the TV e.g. I deactivate it. I meant the "TV Producers" as in the people who make the TV's, Samsung, Sony, Philips etc. Yes that was a bad term to use for production of TV's.

Film projectors should show the true framerate of the Film reel, but it basically depends on how fast the wheel is spinning. Digital Cinema Projectors, project in the given framerate, in 99% of the cases if the movie is from Hollywood it will be 24 FPS.

But ofcourse the Digital Cinema Projector might not have the hardware to project High Framerates (think its called HFR) ergo. The Hobbit, who was filmed in 48 FPS and projected in theaters in both 24 and 48 FPS.. I unfortunately tried the latter.

Watching videos on the internet will usually be in the FPS that the video is made with! Unless its some weird specific player with a reason to do otherwise.

once you go raw you never go back

budafilms

I have a silly question about choose FPS.

I read this thread that explain how to rec 24/25/30 and crop mode: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.150

Wich is better - or is the same - setting the camera for 25 fps, when you final work going to be 25 FPS?

CANON MENU > VIDEO MODE NTSC > and ML Menu FPS OVERRIDE to 25

or

CANON MENU > VIDEO MODE PAL 25 FPS > and ML MENU FPS OVERRIDE OFF

Maybe exist a little difference well explained or is the same to set both or rolling shutter work in a different way.

Thanks

DeafEyeJedi

Great question as I've thought of this myself as well in the past.

Decided to go both ways and check the footage.. to my eyes it seems that it may not make much differential in between other than I believe we get proper Metadata  from MLV files with FPS override set to on for not only better audio syncing (or easier if I may recall) as well as color grade?

However, I could be wrong due to my disability with hearing impairment (I currently have two Cochear Implants) so I'm not PERFECT.

8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

Yes, I tried both, but i couldn't find any difference in the software I used to work: Davinci Resolve... I think rolling shutter is managed by ML in the first setting, but I can't see something different.

Maybe using more ML use more memory allocated...

About sound, good point, I never could use it in sync with DaVinci. It's not usefull for me. MLviewer in post only works in the software and nothing more :(

Maybe a DEV can explain some differences... if already exist one...