ML raw/mlv resolution, write speed and crop factor calculator

Started by rbrune, April 07, 2015, 10:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbrune

Since the topics of maximum SD/CF card writing speeds, achievable maximum resolutions and how the different recording modes affect the crop factor come up over and over again I put together a little javascript calculator that should help understanding the capabilities of the respective cameras better - and might be useful for planning shoots.

How to use:
Select your camera model, select the desired recording mode (zoom, 1080p, 720p) which determines the pixel subsampling mode, pick an aspect ratio and frame rate. Ideally also type in the max. writing speed of your SD/CF card measured by magic lantern (otherwise it uses the limit of the SD/CF interface which might not be achievable with your card).

http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/
(updated April 20th, 2015)

If you miss a feature or something doesn't seem right please let me know.

Disclaimer:

• The pixel width given by the calculator might not be selectable in magic lantern on your camera since it currently doesn't offer finer grained selection (the calculator allows for all multiples of 32 while magic lantern only has a subset of those selectable).
  • I tried to include as many quirks and limits for each listed camera (max crop recording sizes, no 1080p mode on EOS-M, fps limitations of 500D, ...). Please report any inconsistencies and additional quirks!

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

dubzeebass

Can u add ability to calculate run time per card size? Great job!

rbrune

Quote from: dubzeebass on April 08, 2015, 02:31:13 PM
Can u add ability to calculate run time per card size? Great job!

Great idea - and done.
Added a snippet on how many minutes a 32GB card will be good for.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

skrull

This is really interesting!

I would like to see something like this calculator into ML as a separate module, or better yet, inside MLV module as a menu option... I would code it myself, but I'm too busy atm... I will see it.

Walter Schulz

? There is a calculator included. Each time you choose resolution and/or change ratio and/or frame rate you will see bandwidth required.
What are you missing?

budafilms

A personal experience is about select the lens for the shoot.
For example, a medium shot could be nice with a 50 mm than 85.

As you know, exist an optical tool to do this. And is very expensive.

I have enough resolution for my movies at Full HD, this is one of the advantages to get 4K: crop, have more possibilities, less takes for insert...

Maybe could be a very nice option in live view, pressing a button an select the crop factor lens to know how could be your shoot: 24 MM, 35, 50, 85.

This one was an old idea when I see the graphical representation by @DeafEyeJedi.

Thnks!

vertigopix

Ottoga

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

rbrune

Quote from: vertigopix on April 20, 2015, 12:00:21 PM
Nice tool, thank you !

Maybe can you add 60D ?  :)

Done (it is basically a 600D)
But since I do not have a 60D, can you confirm to me that
a) the max SD card write speed is about 21MB/s
b) the max selectable resolution in crop mode is 2512x1080

vertigopix

Thank you !

Quotea) the max SD card write speed is about 21MB/s
b) the max selectable resolution in crop mode is 2512x1080

a) Yes, max 21 MB/s with a fast card exFAT formatted   :(
b) No, max selectable crop is 2496x1080

rbrune

Quote from: vertigopix on April 20, 2015, 04:23:53 PM
Thank you !

a) Yes, max 21 MB/s with a fast card exFAT formatted   :(
b) No, max selectable crop is 2496x1080

Awesome, thank you.

@b) 2512 is probably the actual max - but mlv_rec only allows multiples of 32 (like my calculator), so everything is correct now.

vertigopix

You're welcome.

Great tool and working offline ! I've copied the 2 files to my phone and tablet and it's working with Chrome !  :)

Lucas7

Hi

That seems to be a great tool
But how do you set up the subsampling in Magic latern ?
(In fact I would like to have the full width with my 650D in 1280x720 24 fps without having to crop, is it possible ?)

Cheers

baranbaran

Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Grzegorz

This is great - thank you!

It solved my problem! Til 5 minutes ago I though I had a poor card, as I could not reach the limits with my 50D - looking hard at your table I realised I had been shooting 30 fps and comparing it to your limits at 24 fps! ::)

Grzegorz

Canon 50D today, with Lexar x1066 64GB, in crop mode managed over six minutes with no frames skipped at 1728 x 1080, aspect 16:10, I stopped the recording myself. :)

Would someone pls. direct me to a thread explaining framing in crop mode? What I see is obviously not what I get...

rbrune

Quote from: Grzegorz on May 07, 2015, 11:06:04 AM
Canon 50D today, with Lexar x1066 64GB, in crop mode managed over six minutes with no frames skipped at 1728 x 1080, aspect 16:10, I stopped the recording myself. :)

Would someone pls. direct me to a thread explaining framing in crop mode? What I see is obviously not what I get...

Regarding the framing, open my calculator again and look at the rectangle that shows you the portion used of the sensor. Of course you have to comapre it to the APS-C sized grey frame to see how much/little of the full sensor area you're using. Also the calculator gives you the crop factor with which you can multiply your lens focal length with to get the effective focal length.
Also there are some settings regarding framing indicators in the ML mlv settings, play around with those.

Now 1728x1080@24fps for 6mins is about 75MB/s. Are you sure those are your settings and really no frame was dropped? I thought the theoretical limit of the 50D interface is about 70MB/s and you exceeded it by quite a bit.

Grzegorz

Hi,

Thanks for your advise!

Regarding the video I am reasonably sure - I did not check the frame numbers (did not extract frames) for anything missing BUT the recording stops when a frame is dropped, doesn't it? I mean I have seen this message several times when trying to record at 30 fps and the recording would always stop  after a few hundred frames once the message was displayed. And I did not change any settings regarding this. I still have this video, so if there is anything you would like me to check, (even upload - but I do not know where to upload - it is almost 30GB - 8957 frames) then I will. I watched it through MIRawViewer. There is also a MRX file - I do not know what are the info inside, is there an information about frames ? Or is there any other method to check the frames apart from extracting and counting?

In my previous post I forgot to mention it was 23.976 fps using nightly 2015May03.50D109

Grzegorz

Confirmed. I have just converted the files using raw2cdng.1.6.5. which resulted in 8957 consecutive frames.

One strange thing, though. MIRawViewer v.1.4.3 states: 1728 x 1080 23.976 FPS, 8957 frames, BUT when I open .dng in RawTherapee 4.2.147 the actual image size appears to be 1720 x 1072. Any ideas?

Grzegorz

Well, it seems 50D is capable of even more  :)

I have just managed to record 8393 frames (no dropped frames) at 1792 x 1080 at 23.976 fps (according to ML settings and MIRawViewer, but extracted dngs are 1784 x 1072).

beauchampy

This is great! It's now at the top of my favourites bar  ;) Thanks for the awesome tool!

beauchampy

Question - so in your tool if I select 5dm3 doing 50p at 16:9 it tells me I need 1856x626

In my camera, the closest resolution I have available for 16:9 50p is 1856x650

I don't have the option for 626?

Edit: And btw are people really pushing 100mb/s on their 5d3's?

DeafEyeJedi

@beauchampy -- speaking of 113 or 123?

As well as with latest nightly, correct?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

beauchampy

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 01, 2016, 06:20:23 PM
@beauchampy -- speaking of 113 or 123?

As well as with latest nightly, correct?

123. Not the latest because of the pink frames issue - currently running a build from August '14. Are different resolutions available in later builds?

rbrune

Yes, the latest version allows more fine grained control over the resolution.

And for 100MB/s - maybe someone with a 5d3 can chip in but I assume something around 90MB/s is more realistic as it leaves some bandwidth and ram to cope with hickups/CF slowdowns during writing.

k2121

Hi,
I'm new user of ml.
Why when I activate "raw video (mlv)" option, everyday I have another expect write speed? It's annoying, because I never know when I can record MLV continously. Please help me.
Greetings
K.
650d.104 ML • SX1.200h CHDK

[email protected]

just wondering where to select the 'sampling mode'? any guys can point me that? thanks in advance.