Author Topic: Lua Scripting (lua.mo)  (Read 76729 times)

grnbrg

• New to the forum
Re: Lua Scripting (lua.mo)
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
:sigh:  Hopefully this is actually a bug this time, and not something that seems pretty obvious in hindsight.

Code: [Select]
-- 70D LV exposure test
-- If run in LV, high speed continuous mode, will trigger a burst of 3 frames.

menu.close()
console.show()

print("Click?")

key.wait()

camera.shutter.value = 1/500
camera.iso.value=100
camera.shoot(false)

key.wait()

This script should fire a single frame, and does in most combinations.

However, in Live View, with the drive mode set to high speed (7fps), this script fires the shutter 3 times.

Brian.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2017, 12:14:57 AM »
5D3 1.2.3, high speed continuous mode in LiveView: takes only one picture.

However, after trying a couple of times, I've managed to make the camera a bit unresponsive (script stuck somewhere after showing "Click?", most keys working for menu navigation, except SET and joystick press, which did not do anything). Will try to reproduce and fix this one.

Does this behavior have anything to do with key handling? (e.g. does it help if you just close the menu and use a fixed delay?)

Do other ML features that rely on picture taking (e.g. intervalometer) take multiple pictures at once in this mode?

(side note: there is a setting in ML to take a few pictures at once for e.g. motion detection, but it shouldn't apply here)

grnbrg

• New to the forum
« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:08 AM »
Key handling doesn't appear to be relevant -- I came across this in the middle of another script, and pared it down to a testable example.

Just confirmed that the basic intervalometer fires 3 frame bursts where a single exposure is correct, and camera.burst(1) fires 3 frames.  Advanced bracketing seems to work fine.

Brian.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2017, 01:11:17 AM »
What about camera.burst(2) ?

"3 frame bursts where a single exposure is correct" -> you mean, only one of these 3 pictures has the exposure you expect, and the other two have different exposures?

Is it a regression over the regular builds? (you can try the 10/12-bit experimental build, or older builds from nikfreak)

If you can compile ML, does this also take 3 pictures?

/* don't click me, debug.c */
static void run_test()
{
    msleep(2000);
    call("Release");
}

grnbrg

• New to the forum
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2017, 04:05:56 AM »
"3 frame bursts where a single exposure is correct" -> I expect a single shutter actuation and get three.

I have reproduced the issue with the June 24th and July 6th lua_fix builds -- Will test with the Oct 26, 2016 mainline beta tonight.

I reset the camera settings and ML settings to defaults, and while it did not fix the issue, I'm now (usually*) getting two exposures per camera.shoot(false) + LV + high speed continuous call.  Not really in a position to compile a binary.  Also, slow shutter speeds seem to work -- a 1 second shutter time didn't double or triple.  Will titrate this and report, if I can identify where the problem starts.

*.... usually?

I expanded the test script to shoot a series of -- 1/8000s, 1/4000s, 1/2000s and 1/1000s one after the other.  Usually, each call to camera.shoot(false) is producing two images, as though the function has been called twice.  But occasionally a run of the test script will produce 7 images, not 8.

Brian.

Edit:  Tested with the older mainline binary -- still getting double shutter activations.

When running the following test script:

-- 70D LV exposure test
-- If run in LV, high speed continuous mode, will trigger a burst of 3 frames.

menu.close()
console.show()

print("Click?")

key.wait()

camera.shutter.value = 1/25
camera.iso.value=100
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/10
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/5
camera.shoot(false)
camera.shutter.value = 1/4
camera.shoot(false)

key.wait()

the 1/25s call results in two images.  The subsequent three calls each reliably result in a single image.