batch compression tool for mlv files?

Started by Markus, March 26, 2015, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Is there any batch compression tools for mlv files? As I understand it mlv_dump can compress and maintain the file in mlv format so it's mountable in mlvfs and unpacked on the fly? The command line interface isn't practical if you would like to compress hundreds of clips so I'm wondering if someone has made a tool for this?

dmilligan

I would argue that the command line is actually *more* practical if you need to compress a large number of clips (because you can use wildcards and scripts and stuff);)

The current compression implementation in mlv_dump is quite slow, and not very usable in mlvfs (unless you don't mind ~1 fps), you also have to be careful about the options you use, not all of them work correctly in mlvfs. There's a new implementation that baldand did, but it's not really fully implemented yet, and in my tests there appear to be some occasional minor issues, not sure yet if it's the algo, mlv_dump, or mlvfs.

swinxx

I would also vote for an option in mlvfs to add a compress mlv button :) therefore you can perhaps add a compressed folder with the compressed mlvs to drag and drop them in backup folders :) commandline is for power users not for normal users like 90% of us guys

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: swinxx on March 26, 2015, 02:43:25 PM:) commandline is for power users not for normal users like 90% of us guys
this line... on a forum for a custom software that piggybacks on the Canon firmware and adds features and stuff, really? :D

dmilligan

You can try this: https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/downloads/CompressMLV.dmg

Install it the same way you install MLVFS (just double click the Compress MLV.workflow, and click 'install'). You should then have a new context menu item when you right click on a file: "Compress MLV". You might have to delete existing .IDX files.

Important! Only MLVFS or the version of mlv_dump included inside the .workflow package contents will be able to decompress the results. The included version of mlv_dump includes various new features that have not yet been merged, and some custom tweaks by me. So please don't use this for real archival purposes.

For Testing only!

The code is here

Danne

Very fine work Dmilligan. I also see you are rewriting the whole ML transcoding toolset with dng.c. Bravo. All my exiftool messing in cr2hdr-r will be obsolete  :P.

g3gg0

@dmilligan:
btw, as soon you think these patches are good, just create a pull request.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dmilligan

@g3gg0,

This is just a merge of my ml_dng branch (which already has a PR) and your mlv_dump_lj92 branch. I was sort of waiting until one or the other of them got merged.

The only change I made to lj92 stuff was to reassign the mlv_file_hdr_t.videoClass flags. You had just replaced the LZMA flag with LJ92, I think it's probably better to just make a new flag for LJ92 so as not to break existing LZMA compressed files that might be out there (or at least to be able to distinguish between the two and give a proper error).

swinxx

@dmilligan: thank you. I will definitely try this. You are great.

@licaon: it is a fact my friend :)