.M00/M01/.MRX Files

Started by dguest, March 23, 2015, 09:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dguest

Hi All,

I recently shot something using ML on my 5d2 and I got file names with .M00,.M01,.M02 and .MRX files.  I've done some research on the forum and found that when you shoot for a long period of time, ML makes these files but I'm wondering if I can use them or not.  Of course, I can't open (or I don't know how to) files with these extensions.

Your help is appreciated.  Thanks!

+DLG

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but you missed to mention your workflow (tools be used, steps taken in development).

dguest

I'm using MIRaw Viewer to export ProRes clips.

I'm working on a MAC lap top using Version 10.10.2
Processer is 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Walter Schulz

And which problem did show up?

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds like spanning files issue?

Since you are on a Mac... I've run into this similar situation previously (although you haven't really stated your main issue as @Walter Schulz mentioned).

But it may be worth to try your footage with either @dmilligan's MLVFS or @Danne's cr2hdr-r and they both run well on Mac's.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Frank7D

.M00, .M01 etc. files are video, just like .MLV ones are. mlrawviewer will recognize the .M00, .M01 etc. files and play/extract them, without you doing anything special. Just leave them in the folder with the .MLV files.

dguest

Thanks everyone.

My problem was MIRaw Viewer wasn't giving me the option to view those files with extensions that weren't .MLV 

I'm using MI Raw Viewer version Tcl 8.5 & Tk 8.5 (8.5.9)

@ DeafEyeJedi, I'll try those options. 

I'll let everyone know what happens.  Thanks again!

Frank7D

When you say "view," do you mean browse to and see them in a browser window? You won't (and shouldn't) see them there. All you need to see there is the .MLV files; the others will follow them automatically when you process or play.
If you mean you don't see them play in the player window, then that would be a problem.

dguest

Hi Frank,

When I open MIRaw Viewer, I can click on all the .mlv files to view them but the other files (.m001, .m002, etc.) are greyed out.  MIRaw Viewer won't allow me to click on those files.

Frank7D

That's because you don't need to. They will play/process along with their corresponding .MLV files once you select the .MLV files.

dguest

Makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  Just for my knowledge base those files (.M001, .M002, etc) are created because I'm shooting longer durations/takes?

Appreciate your help!

+DLG

Frank7D

PeterR

I recently shot several interviews and Ive got hundreds of gb's of these M01, M02, etc files in addition to the MLVs. I understand that these are spanning files, but Ive never had to deal with them in the past so Im not sure how to process them.

I use MLV Mystic to convert the MLVs to folders with the corresponding DNGs, then use davinci resolve to edit.

MLV mystic is not accepting the M0* files. What do I do to process these? :o

Thanks!
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

Licaon_Kter

AFAIK, the processing tool should load them after the main MLV.
Are you missing footage?

DeafEyeJedi

@PeterR:

Have you tried using MLRawViewer?

If the spanned files are included next to their MLV's respectively -- it should be able to show the entire clip.

Unless you are missing some footage for some reason?

I'm assuming you're on a Mac... right?

If so, try other decent converters that works well with spanning files such as @dmilligan's MLVFS or @Danne's cr2hdr.app, if you haven't already.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PeterR

@DeafEyeJedi

Looks like you were right. MLVmystic did know to combine the spanning files into one when exporting the DNGs. Thank you.
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

Savely

I'm sorry for necroposting, but does these .m00 files work with MLVP? I'm not sure I have lost some frames/footage so how I can be sure I need these files (it stored on SDcard) or just delete it?

Walter Schulz

If you do this you will kill your footage and only left with just 4 GB of recording (about 40 seconds in fastest data transfer mode). Those file chunks (chunk, not junk!) are your recording splitted up in several parts because of file size limitations. Each recording consists of *all* files named <insertfilenamehere>.MLV, <insertfilenamehere>.M00 to <Insertfilenamehere>.M99
If you are using ExFAT you should enable exfat option im ML menu to avoid dealing with chunks.

Savely

Oh, I see now, thanks a lot. So if I'll enable exfat option then these parts would stop to appear?

And plz explain card spanning concept - is it not make whole speed faster (though it is written CF+SD card speed). It just dump additional data more then 4GB on SD-card? I thought it dump frames that can't fit into buffer (or something like that) and thus it prevent from frame loss and record stop. I have tried to rec on CF only and on CF+SD with card spanning enabling - it showing absoletely identical outcomes - for example 3200х1066 record 7 seconds on both cases, so what is practical benefit of card spanning?

And does soweone know camera cards interface speed limit (5dmkIII)? I do have microSD Lexar 1800x with UHSII adapter that showing ~180mb/s writing when on computer test (h2testw) but with bencmarks on the 5dmkIII it perform tiny ~17mb/s... Actually camera bencmarks also show similar speed with other Sd-cards too. So SD-card interface speed just 17mb/s? It so frustrating with this new speedy card then (((

Walter Schulz

Sorry, you missed doing your homework before purchasing that card. SD-card interface in 5D3 is limited to 23.84 MByte/s (theoretical bandwidth) and in RL it's good for about 19 MByte/s in write mode.

No cam running ML (including those in development) supports UHS-II. All you can get is UHS-I and only newest generation (750D/760D/80D ...) supports fastests UHS-1 mode (104 -> 99.2 MByte/s).

Don't own a 5D3 and therefore unable to tell anything reliable about card spanning.

Savely

Actually I did research before buy that card - I buy it primarily for phantom 4 pro... Anyway, thanks a lot for clarity and last question - is it possible with current experimental 4k build and maximum writing speed of 5dmkIII (100+20mb/s) to write 4k video with 24fps continously? Not really get what 24p in 3840x1536 @ 24p mode mean, may be it is same as 24fps.

Jato

Hi all!
I spent yesterday's session shooting MLV. I recorded some long videos, and ML generated some of those .MLV+M00 files, >4,28Gb sized. (For instance: M15-2007.MLV (4,28Gb) + M15-2007.M00 (1,24Gb)). That's right, BUT:i have other files, this kind:

Where main file is just about 130Mb, and the rest of .M0X files are just 52 Bytes.

I think i lost some long recordings here, but can't understand the reason why. Any idea?

Using Nightly.2017Feb12.7D203

Thanks!

g3gg0

if you got some files left, recording was aborted and mlv_rec didnt clean up the (empty) files.
the 52 byte files are empty and just contain the file header.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Jato