Canon 5D4 port

Started by jarabmx, February 26, 2015, 11:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarabmx

Dear magiclantern team,

I am all aware 5D4 is due in couple of months and until it's out you cannot give any definite answers but assuming 5D4 will stay at its current position within Canon hierarchy, do you see yourself porting ML to it? With your recent efforts towards the new Apertus camera I was wondering whether this might be the end for Canon-ML era? I know there is a lot to speculate but shooting into RAW became absolutely essential for me (thanks so much for your work) and I will have to be upgrading my camera this year. I was hoping I could get just fairly general idea where you guys are standing currently.

Thanks and once again, you turned my 5D2 into a completely new beast.

chmee

QuoteWith your recent efforts towards the new Apertus camera I was wondering whether this might be the end for Canon-ML era?
i wrote in another thread, its about the small things. its easy to analyse and code an open system (fi apertus), but an enormous stress to rev-engineer parts of the closed canon hard- and software. because prices went extremely down for good movie-recording-hardware, its senseful to ask about the effort to re-code canon bodies.

my personal opinion: ml did a great job - but had to fuss with too small steps. even a simple bitdepth reduction inside the body is a big problem. im sure, theres much more hidden behind the canon-curtain. the 5Ds (depending on new bining and encoding) could be a great thing. i'd say, if the firmware is not too far away from the actual point, it will happen - if its a complete new rev-engineering, i'd take my time into the apertus-project.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

jarabmx

Thanks for your reply. The huge Canon ecosystem + ability to shoot RAW is just perfect. Let's see.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: chmee on February 26, 2015, 12:28:22 PMif its a complete new rev-engineering, i'd take my time into the apertus-project.

regards chmee

If that comes out to be true, i think that the 5D3 + ML will still be King. 4K or not 4K, i find the malleability of RAW superior to H.264. Even 4K H.264. The ability to forget about Color temperature and choose it in post later: Priceless! :) and also, as montenero showed us in the video he posted, recording in a 4:3 with an anamorphic lens, gives you 4K.
But, why people are so obsessed with 4K anyway? :)

chmee

the apertus beta is not only about 4k, its about new ways of using, understanding and recording light, i dont find the pdf-paper a1ex mentioned often. and it will be raw as well, with better/faster io-ports. in combination with an ef-mount, voila. thats mine in may/june2015 :)

DeafEyeJedi

@chmee:

and how much did you pay upfront for the Apertus that you'll be getting in May/June 2015?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

extremelypoorfilmaker

Chmee.. when apertus was doing the fundraising for the axiom beta.. i didn't had the £350 to donate.. i regret that everyday. The axiom camera concept will be the camera i will invest in. :D

Talking about light.. it comes to mind a quote from Bender from the movie: Bender big Score: "Ah, sweet photons, i don't know if you are waves or particles, but you go down smooth!"

One thing i would love to learn about is: How can we get RAW from the sensor of the sony A7S? And if we can find a way to get it, will it retain the same amazing low light ability?
Please have mercy if this question sounds stupid.. But if i could shoot raw with the A7S, would be selling all my lenses and 6D to get that camera :)

chmee

@DeafEyeJedi 350€

@extremelypoorfilmaker
but it does not exist :) the question is, if it can write raw-like files with the full sensor-readout. i doubt. this good picture comes from the internal processing (full sensor readout including lowering to 8bit). if you read/write the sensor-data, it will be bayer as well, with mostly all the benefits/disadvantages as the 5diii.. it should be theoreticaly a little bit sharper (full sensor, not crop-mode)

regards chmee

liquidia

Hello Developers

I postpone my purchase in the anticipation of announcement of 5Dmark iV  next month. But  canon dslr are useless without Magic Lateran atleast for me so i was just wondering would you give it a try or it wont happen ever?

Thanks
Rahul

Walter Schulz

70D was announced 2013.July.02 and ML for 70D is in alpha state.
Hope you get the picture ...

pv25pv

When 5d4 comes out ,it will be an instant purchase for me along with the atomos shogun...so 120fps @1080p and 4k RAW writing in 1T ssd.
I hope ill have the whole budget by then so i keep 5d3 as backup camera..otherwise ill sell. But most important is what progress Canon has made with the sensor....i hope we get 16 stops :P
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

chmee

from where did you ve got this specs? 1920*1080@120fps via HDMI? 4K Raw? 16 Stops? nowhere nearly (DxO-measured) 14 stops i bet. nothing of these points will occure in a 5DIV. i guarantee.

Walter Schulz

chmee: "X-Files. I want to believe."

extremelypoorfilmaker

I am sorry, but i need to understand a few things here:

1st: This new atomos shogun i hear most people talking about, claims it can record RAW in 4K, straight from the camera? I mean, if what i have read and heard is correct, buying that device would basically make magic lantern RAW capabilities useless right? Still, if i have understood correctly, you NEED to have a camera outputting RAW in order to recording it right? i am getting confused..

2nd: Wher you peole get all this specs of a supposed 5D4? Is it just speculation or you people know something i don't know? :D

@chmee: Hey dude, thanks for the reply! :) I know it was a silly question of me, but still, i like to dream!! :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on March 09, 2015, 10:18:31 PMIs it just speculation or you people know something i don't know? :D

Those who talk don't know. Those who know don't talk.
Or in short: NDA

extremelypoorfilmaker

ahahahaha Walter sei un grande! :D

you are absolutely right! :) sometimes i really wonder.. why do people have this almost "insane" NEED to know about specs of products that are not out yet? One of the great thing about the 5D4 is: Once it will be out, the 5D3 prices will drop drastically most probably, therefore will allow me to FINALLY be able to buy one!! ..Of course, unless anyone of you very kind fellas is willing to lend me £1600 now..
I can repay it back in 3 months! £560 per month!
What do you people say? Obviously the kind person who is willing to lend such amount of money to a complete stranger, will benefit of having a person absolutely willing to work for free on any project where an extra hand is needed! So, Wanna help a brother out? :)

:D

chmee

sorry, nope. too much speculative. imho just click-baiting.

NL and CR rumoring - http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/03/eos-5d-mark-iv-mentioned-cr1/

skrull

I love to see how some people go daydreaming about things that doesn't exist and asks to develop a port for something that is not known yet... Yet they seems to believe in their own reality and begs about it.

This thread should be already closed.

SiSS

Nothing new about the 5D4 / 5DC, but those who are interested about the 4K there's strong rumors that C300 II and C500 II will have it as well as something new for the GH4 competition, which is interesting.

As a 5D3 mlv user, my favorite upgrade would to 4K Raw, but we might have to wait. They say that 5D3 is selling good so they don't hurry. I hope we hear something in the NAB.

Audionut

5D4 port will be done, when it's done.

Rumors about the 5D4 and whatnot are over here.