how and where do you store your raw clips?

Started by ruber, March 22, 2015, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruber

Hi,

I started recording our clips in raw (mlv format) and I am enthusiast about the results.

As already said... thank you A1ex and ML guys for this  :)

The other side of the coins is obviously the huge amount of data to storage comparing to h264 clips.

I already ordered a new NAS with 12TB of HDs (2 x 6tb) but I am afraid It will not last long.

What do you guys usually do?
- Do you keep your MLVs or convert them?
- Do you store them in HDs or else?
- do you store 1 copy or do also a backup somewhere else?

Thanks  ;)

Walter Schulz

German Sysadmins have a saying:
Nicht gesicherte Daten sind als gelöscht zu betrachten.
Translation attempt:
Data without backup has to be regarded as deleted.

dubzeebass

I transcode to ProRes's highest quality with Cinelog-C and delete the MLVs. Takes up about 60% of the space of the MLV.

dubzeebass

Then have a couple of external 1TB drives that mirror each other, that's where I store the data.

Levas

Using a NAS (2 drives of 4TB), both drives have the same data, if one crashes, it's still all there.
And I have the same video data on a USB drive connected to my computer, in case my NAS catches fire or something  :P.

Data storage is getting cheaper every day, so the time the NAS is full with raw video data, it's time for some bigger drives, or a NAS with room for 5 drives and better RAID possibilities.

ruber

Thank you all for your feedback.

@Walter Schulz: I see your point... wise words  ;)

@dubzeebass: I also have cinelog luts, I think I'll go for conversion then.

@Levas: raid is my next step. I think that the nas I mentioned (4 slots actually) will receive 2 more hdds soon :-)

ItsMeLenny

Some German sysadmins take the approach of:
morgen, morgen, nur nicht heute, sagen alle, faule Leute.