Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by a1ex, March 10, 2015, 11:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Looks like firmware 1.1.3 is here to stay, so I've built the installer.

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Background info
Most Canon firmware upgrades were usually minor (like fixing a typo in the Ukrainian language), so upgrading ML to latest firmware was pretty easy. Not so with 5D3 1.2.3.

Most important changes in 1.2.3 since 1.1.3 (source):
- clean HDMI out
- dual monitor support
- AF at f/8 with teleconverters
- fixed an AFMA bug
- a bunch of minor fixes

Unfortunately, in order to implement the dual monitor feature, Canon made some major changes on the display side (changed some low-level registers) and LiveView implementation (which is now quad-buffered, while on 1.1.3 it's triple-buffered, just like in all other ML-enabled cameras). From ML's point of view, this resulted in the following differences:

- 1.1.3 is slightly faster when recording RAW/MLV (not much, only a few MB/s)
- fast zebras are not working on 1.2.3 or later, but they are OK on 1.1.3
- no full-screen magic zoom on 1.2.3 or later
- no brightness/contrast/saturation adjutments on 1.2.3 or later
- "DIGIC peaking" is a little more limited on 1.2.3 or later (only the basic mode is working, not the ones with fancy backgrounds)
- motion detection in "frame difference" mode does not work on 1.2.3 or later
- I'm not sure if corrupted frames are still an issue (if you experience them, try downgrading to 1.1.3)

Other than that, the two ML versions are pretty much identical.

Bottom line:
- if you need any of Canon's updates from firmware 1.2.3 or later, use 1.2.3 (and prepare for upgrading to 1.3.3)
- otherwise, consider downgrading to 1.1.3 (I did).

Note: the upgrade from 1.2.3 to 1.3.3 was a minor one, and porting ML is straightforward (chris_overseas already did it, I only need to sit down and try it).

I know, maintaining two firmware versions for a single camera is a hassle, but if we want to squeeze the last drops of performance from this camera, we have no choice. And, as you've guessed, fixing some of the above issues is quite hard.

Please discuss raw recording issues in the Raw Video section of the forum, not here.

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

hjfilmspeed

Thank you so much! Can we uninstall from this build?

jose_ugs

YEsssss!!!
p.s. That was just a spontaneous reaction to a1ex's post (and not hjfilmspeed's)!

hjfilmspeed

hjfilmspeed

So if we are already running 113 and want to update a bootable card, just drag a drop as usual right? Not sure I'll ever unistall though.

dualmp

Danne

Installer worked magic. Much appreciated. Must have been 1,5 years since I had my booflag disabled. It is already set again  :).

budafilms

dubzeebass

What's the diff between this and the nightlies?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dubzeebass on March 12, 2015, 01:33:24 PM
What's the diff between this and the nightlies?

Sorry, but what do you intend to ask? This is implemented in main branch which caused "updates" for all nightly builds (but 5D3.123) after commit.

dubzeebass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 12, 2015, 01:43:38 PM
Sorry, but what do you intend to ask? This is implemented in main branch which caused "updates" for all nightly builds (but 5D3.123) after commit.

Looks like he just created the installer, champ, thanks.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks again @a1ex!

Looking forward to getting FRSP into the nightlies...

8)

swinxx

Yes... Its getting better and better. Superb. Thank you

budafilms

1.1.3 Silent Picture is the old version, the simple mode. Not Full Res.
Can someone provide me the last module to add or in this firmware doesn't work?

THanks.

Quentin

Its not that a fear of evolution.
But as long as 1.1.3 works for me, why moving elsewhere ?
(I sent a post to Feature Requests about recording Crop mode as mov, not RAW)

DeafEyeJedi

I second that @Quentin (love the crop-mode h.264 on the M) but not sure if it'll ever be possible on 5D3 because I think I may have remember someone mentioned awhile ago that it could be a hardware limitation regarding the FF sensor?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still dreamin' on it though...

SiSS

I couldn't find this anywhere, I know the differences in FPS, but what are the differences in resolution between 1.1.3 and 1.2.3? Can we get 2K Cine straight out of 1.1.3?
I've only been running 1.2.3.

Thanks,
S

Audionut

Resolution options are identical.  But since 1.1.3 is a little faster...............

SiSS

Canon eos m

Dumb question - how Dom I downgrade to 1.1.3 from 1.2.3? Please help.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Walter Schulz

HD Cam Team

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 19, 2015, 04:55:40 PM
I second that @Quentin (love the crop-mode h.264 on the M) but not sure if it'll ever be possible on 5D3 because I think I may have remember someone mentioned awhile ago that it could be a hardware limitation regarding the FF sensor?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still dreamin' on it though...

I would also love crop-mode in .MOV format!!

Anybody got further info about that chance? Thank you!
HD Cam Team
Web:
www.HDCamTeam.com | Twitter: @HDCamTeam | Facebook: HDCamTeam

goldenchild9to5

Is there any way on getting a 1/48th Shutter using 5D Mark III RAW @ 1080p been trying but can't seem to get it..