Spanned Recording Issue?

Started by swinxx, February 28, 2015, 05:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

Hello!

Today i went to a shoot and had an issue with 50fps recording. only 10 seconds possible. however, i tried the spanned card option and it was better.
now, at home i copied the files from both cards to my hdd.
the strange thing is that when the recording exceeds 4gb there are 2 or more files on one card, e.g.
xyz.mlv, xyz.m00, xyz.m01
on the second card (sd card) there is also one file which corresponds to those files, named xyz.m00
so when i copy them to 1 folder, the file naming is like this:
xyz.mvl, xyz.m00, xyz.m00 2...
so i have 2 m.00 files.

how should i name those files to be recognized correctly within mlvfd or mlrawviewer?

anyone knows?

thank you very much.

swinxx

update:

i have tried to rename the spanned file from the sd card to m00, and the m00 file from the cf card to m01, but the frames are mixed up.
then i have tried to rename the spanned file to m01 and left the m00 file.. also no effect,..
so now i got nervous..

update2:
i also have one file where the recording stopped (10 files) mlv - m08
from m00 to m08 those files are on both cards, so i have 18 files..

if possiible i need to save those shots, cause they were great takes.

please help

thx.

DeafEyeJedi

I ran into this similar issue in the past and have decided not to use both CF & SD slots for spanning files together.

Spanned files work fine on a single CF card, however I've also renamed m00 along with m00_copy (automatically done in Mac) if I click on "do not replace" file...

Although I do like the idea of using both CF & SD combined but don't think it's worth the hassle IMO.

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

mothaibaphoto

Rename files with no gaps as in second post and feed to mlv_dump. This works for me.

swinxx

@mothaibaphoto:

i have tried to use mlv_dump as you recommended, but the frames are mixed up.
the only program which is working with some of the files is mlrawviewer.

when there are spanned files on sd and cf card, no program can handle that as far as i tried.
i are uploading some files now (but they are of course big..)

https://copy.com/ulsYvGWuzA80BCIz

thx.

swinxx

@audionut

thx for the link. but that does not solve my problem.
the interesting thing is that mlrawviewer can playback and convert the files, mlv_dump and mlvfs can not convert them correctly.
i think that when spanning to cf and sd card and also recording more than 4gb so the files are split up to more than one file on the cf card the naming structure is not ideal.
perhaps a dev could change that, or disable the option to span on 2 cards when rec >4gb splits up the files..

however, i hope that someone can help me to save my shots.

thx swinxx

mothaibaphoto

I can't download your files to try, sorry. Anyway it's pointless as long as mlv_dump failed for you and I'm not a dev. I had a lot of files converted this way. Mlrawviewer did mess with audio for me. Now I format cards with exFat on PS exclusively not to routinely rename files every time.

swinxx

hi, i have tried it with mlv_dump --dng file
mlv_dump finds also the m00,.. files but however in the end, there are frames missing.
greets. swinxx

chmee

in mlv every frame-chunk has its own timespan-entry. so if the converter is doin it right, its indifferent, what count the splitfiles have. did you tried to name them all to be one big multifile? after that, are you able to test raw2cdng?

cf-card - mlv m01 m02 m03 m04
sd card - whatever four files
-> mlv m01 m02 m03 m04 m05 m06 m07 m08

(maybe it works to put the last recorded files as last counts, so in above example m04 - and last of the sdcard- as m08 and/or m09)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

swinxx

Hello chmee.
Thx. Only mlrawviewer is converting it right.
I recorded with fps50, perhaps thats the problem.. I dont know. Greets

chmee

if you re able to use raw2cdng, enable debug, do a test and post or link it, i m interested, what happens..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

swinxx

i´m sorry, i only use a mac machine and therefore i´m really looking forward in using mlvfs although raw2cdng is for sure a really great windows program.
thank you very much.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: swinxx on March 01, 2015, 10:16:09 AM
... in the end, there are frames missing.
For me this happens just when I record till the card is full.

swinxx

sorry, i meant at the end of the day there are missing frames.
the missing frames are within the shot. so the video is stuttering.
greets swinxx

mothaibaphoto

And regarding your uploaded files. Spanned recording issue takes place just when at least three files involved: splitted files due limited FAT filesize from one card and spanned file(s) from another. Beside junk files and MLRawviewer output wavs i see just two actual files in every folder: mlv and m00 in folder 1, mlv and m09 in folder 2. To convert with mlv_dump m09 in folder 2 should be renamed to m00 and remove these small files. Small files mean there was a problem with free space and frames at the end of this shot will be lost.

dmilligan

swinxx

thx for your interest.

there are also issues with mlvfs with those files i uploaded. other takes have 3 files (when mlv got over 4gb and split up to a second one)
i don´t checked wav issues with mlrawviewer cause the files are recorded with 50fps and i only checked them within resolve and halftime speed.
but i found out that mlrawviewer plays them all back smooth and mlvfs conversion takes stutter.
so i hope that dmilligan will fix this in the next release.

update: perhaps found the problem: idx files have to be deleted (thank you dmilligan for the recommendation)

thx

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

swinxx

@g3gg0

i tried it and wanna say thank you very much for your effort. now file.m00 is on my sd card only, and the cf splitting works like charm with no confusion (file.mlv, file.m01,...)
thank you very much and i really wanna outline that you provide fantastic support!!!!

best wishes, swinxx