New Camera

Started by Thorm, February 17, 2015, 09:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorm

Hey guys!

So im thinking about getting into filming again and i need help with deciding what camera should i get?

I used to have 550D with magic-lantern, so im familiar with ML.
My budget for the camera body is no more than 1000€, ofcourse cheaper the better...
I was thinking about GH3 but i was wondering if a canon camera with ML would be better?
What i value most in camera is dynamic range.

What would you recommend?

jtvision

550D is much better vs GH3 in my opinion. Great variety of lens choce and better color science from Canon. ML on top of that and the rest is up to your creativity. If you want a real upgrade then save a bit more and buy GH4 if resolution is what matters to you. GH4 doesn't do raw. If you need raw BMPCC could be an option. It is cheap and it does raw 1080p. Downsides - battery life, dinamic range and m43 sensor.

Thorm

Thank for reply jtvision!

Ok, now i regret selling the t2i... So what canon should i get? Looks like 700d is almost the same as 550D.

Rshred

I've been looking at the 7d as prices have dropped quite a bit since the 7d mark ii came out... give it a look
Good luck,
Rob

Walter Schulz

His priority is dynamic range.
HDR and dual-ISO video are not (yet?) available for 7D.

Thorm

I think im leaning toward 600D... Im just wondering why canon releases new models that are basically the same as the previous models  ::)
Good thing we have magic-lantern!

ansius

it all depends on priorities, what is important to you. I chose 7D because it was the top camera I could afford and I got good deal for barely used one (21K shutter count), because of it's ability to keep resolution on hdmi output while recording, it being a fast camera and that it uses CF cards - so good candidate for raw video.

I would not look on triple digit cameras, they are not that good, i have played with all of them and 7D outperforms them, the useless features like auto-focus that fails when ever it important ;) and so on.

the only other I would consider that is about that budget is 6D, because pictures and video are superb, SD card tough, and unergonomic body.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

kyrobb

A 600D is essentially a 550D with a flip out screen. If that's the upgrade you were hoping for, then go for it. If Raw Video quality is what you're after, see if you can find either a used 7D or a 50D that fits your budget.

Thorm

hmm tough decision... What is the highest resolution when shooting 24fps raw on 7D? How stable is it? timelimit for recording?

Rshred

Thorm

OK. 7D it is.

Now what kind of CF-memory card? I dont need huge memorycard. Usually i just shoot maybe less than 10min of footage. How much raw 1728 x 972 takes space?

Walter Schulz

10 min at 24 fps  -> about 40 GByte

extremelypoorfilmaker

My suggestion is: DON'T buy the 7D save up some money, wait a bit, ask for a loan, i mean do whatever is it in your power and buy the 5D3. To my opinion, 5D3 + ML = The best money can get you right now :)

You won't regret it and that camera will last you a good 10 years in my opinion! :)

DeafEyeJedi

You can get 5D3 for 2k or less... I've seen used 5D3's with 20-25k shutter count on sale for $1200-$1500 on Craigslist...

Doesn't hurt to try researching some more!

That's exactly what I've been doing... Hoping to find another 5D3 body with 20-25k shutter count within that price range.

Trust me it's totally worth every Penny!!!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109