Anyone Know How To Downgrade From 1.3.3 To 1.2.3 Firmware 5DMIII?

Started by RP, February 05, 2015, 09:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader, format card in cam. Run EOS Utility to downgrade Canon firmware 1.3.3. to 1.2.3. Extracted Canon firmware file name is 5D300123.FIR

armavista

Hi there,

I definitely can't downgrade from 1.3.3 to 1.2.3. I tried everything: with EOS utility (different versions) and directly from the CF card (previously formated with Windows, then in the camera). I also tried from a SD card...

I experienced the same thing as spencerblesi and gmfotografie: the downgrading process starts (displays "Firmware update program" for maybe 1/10th of a second), then the camera display gets black, the red indicator light blinks and the camera gets disconnected. I have to remove the battery to stop the light from blinking.

Thanks for your help !  :o :o :o

P.S. It is in camera mode, M, P, whatever... The firmware was downloaded from Magic Lantern.

Walter Schulz

Download *Canon* firmware 1.2.3. Extract content. Format card in cam.
Connect cam to PC via USB and run EOS Utility coming with EOS solution disk 29.A1.

Offtopic: One of these days ...

armavista

Thanks!

So you say the problem comes from the firmware downloaded from Magic Lantern?

I can't find any direct link from Canon to dowload firmware 1.2.3

Can you help?

Walter Schulz

The problem is this one: ML builds are based and branded to their dedicated Canon firmware versions. You need a specified Canon firmware version to make ML run. At time of writing your firmware version is not supported by ML.
And you need Canon firmware to change Canon's firmware version installed on your camera.

In computer terms: Resembles trying to install a program for Linux while Windows is running and blaming the developer of the program.

And you will find a link for firmware download in the sticky thread for 5D3.123 (Camera specific discussion) and in the very page you downloaded ML nightly build.

armavista

Many thanks Walter! It worked perfectly.

I completely understood your explanation, i just did not know the firmware file included in the ML build was modified.

The other link on the same page allowed me to dowload the original firmware.

JUAN CARLOS CAMPOS TAYLOR

Quote from: spencerblesi on July 24, 2015, 11:47:30 PM
Hi all, I'm having the same problem downgrading my firmware from 1.3.3 to 1.2.3.  I was able to downgrade once before using EOS Utility.  I've tried all the methods listed here.  I'm still going through EOS Utility to downgrade.  I get through all the steps asking me to downgrade firmware and click OK, the camera screen lights up for a second, then goes black, and the red light at the bottom begins slowly blinking.  EOS Utility says the camera has disconnected.  I've tried with all other firmware files (like 1.1.3), but the same thing happens every time.  Anyone else experiencing this?  I'd like to get my ML back ASAP.  Thanks, Spencer

Mate use the EOS Utility 2

tallmanandy

I need to downgrade from 1.3.3, but I'm in Somalia and don't have the correct USB cable. Is there anyway at all to downgrade without EOS utility?

Walter Schulz

No. You need USB-Mini-B standard connector. You will find this on some external USB 2.0 devices:  External storage, cardreaders ...

Third from left
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/media/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

DSLR Pro

Here is the link to video on how to downgrade from Firmware 133 to 123 step by step + download links for EOS utility & 123 firmware :   

ali531

Dears,
anyone know to download firmware 1.1.3 for canon 5D Mark iii?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 5D3.113
and read instructions.

Mr.zandy

Hello , i want to downgrade ny canon 5d mark 3 firmware from 1.3.3 to 1.2.3 to install ML.
I tried eos utily and the card reader to do so. But when i select to downgrade..the camera says...firnware incorrect..and remove the battery... as u downloaded the firmware correctly..from nighty builds . What should i do..plzz help

Walter Schulz

You have to use EOS Utility v2.x.
Switch cam to photo M mode and don't use LV before connecting to cam.

wcmary

I can't get EOS Utility to open.  Even the latest version from the CD that came with the camera that I just opened today gives me this message:  "Cannot be used with this version of the operating system."  I am running El Capitan V10.11.3
Is there another way?

wcmary

I was able to use my CD on a PC, so it's Canon not updating the Mac version.
Since I was today (2/4/16) able to downgrade the firmware, I figured I would update the process:
1.  On a PC, get the latest version of EOS Utility, or the one that came with your camera.
2.  Turn off Live View on the 5d mkiii.  For some reason, firmware update is grayed out in EOS Utility if LiveView is on.
3.  Plug the mkiii into your computer via USB.
4.  Launch EOS Utility.
5.  Choose "Camera Settings / Remote Settings" from the menu
6.  In the middle of the remote window that opens, choose the wrench button (just like in the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY-Mf08OInE&feature=youtu.be)
7.  Click on the firmware button now.
8.  FOLLOW THE ONSCREEN INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY AS THEY INVOLVE SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE REMOTE SCREEN OPEN ON YOUR PC AND THE DISPLAY ON THE BACK OF THE MKIII.
9.  When it's finished updating, select OK and turn off the camera.
Note:  After this finished, nothing happened when I turned the camera back on or off except for "sensor cleaning."  No interface on the back of the camera for at least 6 tries to turn it on and off, and then it suddenly started working.  I am not sure what caused this.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: wcmary on February 05, 2016, 01:37:55 AM
1.  On a PC, get the latest version of EOS Utility, or the one that came with your camera.

You have tested this with EOS Utility 3.x?

allecko

Hi, I don't want to start a new topic although this one is old. I've read all the posts but in the EOS Utility 2, set to M mode, update firmware is still greyed out. What can I do?

Walter Schulz

DSLR Pro

dfort

Just in case someone lands here when searching the forum I started a new more generic topic called:

Firmware Update/Downdate?

It is a link -- click on it. Happy downgrading.