More colorspace for Film Emulation (using 2 LUTs)

Started by niklas.seehausen, January 29, 2015, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niklas.seehausen

I shoot raw on a 60d then I convert it to a DNG-Sequence and import this DNG-Sequence to Davinci Resolve.
In the raw tab I choose bmd film to achieve a bigger colorspace. to get even more colorspace I use the BMDtoVisionlog LUT.

Now I want to add another LUT(kodak 2393) how do I do this ?
Should I    1. create 2 serial nodes the first with the BMDtoVisionlog LUT and the second with the kodak 2393 LUT.
                 2. leave the first node untouched and create another node and add an parallel node. And add to the second node the BMDtoVisionlog LUT and to the third the kodak 2393 LUT.
                 3. use a layer node.
Or should I only use one LUT(kodak 2393).I don´t even know if using two LUTs makes sense.
Or is there another way to get more colorspace than BMD Film without a LUT.

Sorry for my bad english and my lack of knowledge in Davinci Resolve. 

niklas.seehausen

What seems to work is to apply the kodak 2393 lut via projeckt settings/lookup table and then apply the colorspace lut via right click on a node. but I´m still not sure if thats the right way.

DanHaag

You should really read through all of Andy's postings in the Cinelog thread. All the theory, all the workflows, all the science behind the LUTs and color spaces... all you need is in there, believe me.  :)

niklas.seehausen

i think i need to choose the colorspace lut as input lut and the film emulation lut as output lut.

Andy600

Why do you want to use the BMD Film to VisionLog lut? AFAIK it's only for VisionColor Osiris luts.

If your 2393 lut is not from VisionColor you will be better off staying with BMD Film colorspace. The built-in Film luts in Resolve expect print density input so you need to get from BMD Film log to Cineon log (or carefully manipulate the curves) then add the Resolve film lut - but remember, Resolve VFX luts only allow 1D transforms (i.e. the transfer function). The color gamut will still be BMD Film so you will still need to do some work with the color and contrast/curves/LGG etc. You should grade in nodes after the transfer function luts but before the PFE lut and, if your doing something for TV or the web, always use the scopes to ensure your colors and levels stay legal.

BMD Film is a very big colorspace. It's gamut is wider than Alexa Wide Gamut but the tone curve has far less dynamic range than Log-C. This means you will have to do a lot of color and gamma manipulation to get a good image with controlled saturation.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com