5D3 firmware 1.3.3 available from Canon Latin America

Started by lintoni, January 28, 2015, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lintoni

Changes Firmware Version 1.3.3 incorporates the following improvement and fix. 1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom). 2. Corrects some incorrect indications on the "English" and "Russian" menu screens. Firmware Version 1.3.3 is for cameras with Firmware Version 1.2.3 or earlier. If your camera's firmware is already Version 1.3.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware. When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before downloading. Note: Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3).

http://www.cla.canon.com/cla/en/consumer/products/cameras/eos_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii

Walter Schulz

Good to see it in the wild.
Would someone please be kind enough to install this one and test downgrading to 1.2.3 by EOS Utility? Risk: If unable this person's 5D3 is stuck with 1.3.3 until a remedy is found or ML ported to it.

Official list of improvements in 1.3.3 is not that impressive ...

chris_overseas

I updated the 1.2.3 stubs etc for 1.3.3 here a few weeks ago: https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller/magic-lantern/branch/5D3-133. Still need to update the signature and a couple of other minor things, I don't think there's much else required to get the new version running. It'll be a couple of days before I have time to start playing with this again but from what I've seen so far the port should be pretty straightforward - certainly more so than 1.1.3 -> 1.2.3.

[EDIT: Note there's no Win 8.1 download, select Win 7, Win 8, Mac OS instead. The CLA site has a "You shall not alter, modify, disassemble, decompile or otherwise reverse engineer" clause. Probably best to wait until the European site has a download available for ML purposes since they typically don't include that clause]
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

walter_schulz

Most of the time Swiss is right on time. And here they are again:
http://de.canon.ch/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?type=firmware
Disclaimer says something about EAR but I'm not curious to find out what that one means.

UK not updated yet.
EDIT: Canon Support Europe is talking English:
http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?type=firmware

lintoni

Pelican

"Note: Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3)."

I doubt it. They usually write this but until now it was never true.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

chris_overseas

Canon have apparently taken it one step further this time. You can't downgrade in-camera, but you can still downgrade using EOS Tool. (I haven't verified that myself yet but have seen more than one person say they were caught out by it so it does seem to be true).

There aren't any other anti-ML countermeasures though so the tighter "no downgrade" policy is probably just for compatibility reasons or to help Canon reduce their support burden rather than any ill will towards ML.

Quote from: Pelican
link=topic=14399.msg139010#msg139010 date=1422587868

"Note: Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3)."

I doubt it. They usually write this but until now it was never true.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

a1ex

Some new strings in 1.3.3:

PROP_PERMIT_UPDATE_VERSION
PROP_PROHIBIT_UPDATE_VESION
UpdFirVersionCheck.c
CheckFirVersion
Delete old file and update
LP-E6N

and that's pretty much all I could find.

mkrjf

So my 5D Mk3 started to not turn on once in a while and I took it into Canon Professional Services - I asked if they could leave firmware version untouched and they said now step one in any service is to upgrade firmware.
Needless to say I now have 1.3.3 firmware installed and looks like no ML will run on that.
Will new version of ML be available of 1.3.3 anytime soon?
Otherwise I can't use camera for digital film which is main reason I still have it :(

DeafEyeJedi

Please use EOS Utility to downgrade...

It's rather simple if follow instructions properly.

Please read this thread

Good luck!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

The Unbreaka

Hello everyone,
I wanted to understand if you have solved the problem in some way.
The thread posted in the previous message does not open.
Can someone get me the situation?
I would take a 5d MarkIII but I would understand if I will be able to use ML although will have the firmware 1.3.3.
Appearance news.
thanks in advance

Walter Schulz

Run EOS Utility to downgrade your cam while connected to USB.

anDyIII

a1ex is the key to sign .fir files changed?
If yes, is there a chance to edit the fw version in the old 1.2.3 and show it to the camera as 1.3.3 or 1.3.0?

From what some Italian users explained on the Facebook user group, it seems that canon has blocked the EOS Utility downgrade method. They tried with a few new and old versions of the software, but nothing done. Software issue solved
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

a1ex

Walter Schulz

Quote from: anDyIII on March 23, 2015, 11:38:53 AM
From what some Italian users explained on the Facebook user group, it seems that canon has blocked the EOS Utility downgrade method. They tried with a few new and old versions of the software, but nothing done.

There was a problem for some user(s?) here, solved by
http://addedoptimization.com/5d-mark-iii-firmware-update-using-canon-eos-utility/
At time of writing we've seen no user here unable to downgrade from 1.3.3

Please test and reply.

anDyIII

Already tried but nothing done!  :-\
I'll wait for other users with 1.3.3 fw to try again. Meanwhile the users I talked with said that they went to Canon service and asked for the downgrade to 1.2.3. Canon technicians replied that they'll try but they are not sure to suceed.

a1ex could you try to remove the fw version check or mask the fw version of 1.2.3 fw?
Thanks
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

Walter Schulz

anDyIII: Are you able to post a detailed error description?
From OS used, to EOS Utility version, USB connection (2.0 or 3.0).
Where is the error happening exactly? Are those people unable to access firmware update menu or does firmware update seems to work but fails? Is there any kind of error message?

anDyIII

I think that the problem was an EOS Utiliy or Windows bug, because one of the users told me that he was in live view mode and then he turned it off but all the settings in Eos utility remained greyed out with no chance to downgrade. I told him to reinstall the software and delete Windows cache, and this solved the problem, so the downgrade option is available again.  ::)

The setup was: Windows 7 x64, USB 2, Eos utility from Solution disk version 28.5.
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

Walter Schulz

It would be just fine to remove USB cable, remove battery, restart utility. Insert battery, connect USB and startup EOS utility. Reinstalling software and cleaning Windows cache is a little bit over the top IMO.

Is the problem solved now?

anDyIII

Yes the problem is solved now and the downgrade is still possible!

Thanks Walter.

Anyway it would be fine to have an edited 1.2.3 fw to downgrade from 1.3.3. in case Canon will really block the EOS Utility downgrade method.
5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

Walter Schulz

anDyIII

5D Mark III
www.andreacasanova.eu

lintoni

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 12, 2015, 07:04:00 AM
Please use EOS Utility to downgrade...

It's rather simple if follow instructions properly.

Please read this thread

Good luck!
Fixed the link in this quote.

NightPhotographer

Can somebody please share an old EXE file of the EOS Utility? I'm in picture mode, and the firmware downgrade is still not available as an option with EOS Utility 3.2.10 :(

Walter Schulz

Do you have no firmware update option at all or is firmware update option greyed out or is firmware update option running but gives an error message?