RawMagic problem - Large MLV file only partially converting to DNG

Started by silenttapes, January 22, 2015, 05:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silenttapes

Hey,

I have a MLV raw file that is approx. 18,000 frames. When I convert these to DNG using RawMagic it only converts approx. 12,000. I know this because I can actually view all the frames in MLRawViewer. The file is spanned over 8 files approx. 31gb in size. It was recorded on a 32gb card and did not run out of memory, I actually manually stopped the recording before the card filled up. 2 of the spanned files (.MLV and .M02) are 4.28gb instead (not sure if this is relevant).

Does anyone have a solution? I've tried to export from MLRawViewer but all the frames are crazy pink.

Please excuse me if there is a topic on this - I have tried to search but mainly find answers about .raw and changing the header.

Cheers,

dmilligan

Are you sure the frames are crazy pink or do they just look that way in the Finder? MLRV outputs lossless compressed DNGs that don't show up right in the Finder, but when you actually import them into a proper NLE (Resolve, Premiere, etc) they are fine.

You can also try my app MLVFS

silenttapes

Thank you! You are correct MLRV DNGs were just incorrectly represented in Finder. They work perfectly in Resolve.

However with out knowing why this happened I now have a permanent problem. How many parts of my Rawmagic conversions have been lost since I started using it? I really don't want to check every file I ever convert by viewing it in MLRV.

I had a quick glance at your App, like the sound of it and will certainly give it a go.

Cheers,

dmilligan

RAWMagic is not supported here b/c the developer violated the terms of the GPL by using ML code that was GPL'd and refusing to release the source of his own app as the GPL stipulates. There are several free and open source converters available here that I feel are superior to RAWMagic anyway.

silenttapes

Ah I see. Ok cool. Various blog post guides to ML advocate Rawmagic which is why I ended up using it.

Which one do you recommend?

I did notice that the DNGs that came out of MLRV are only 1mb vs the 2.4mb from Rawmagic (12 bit).

dmilligan

Well, I'm probably a bit partial, but I think MLVFS provides for the simplest, fastest, and easiest workflows, especially if your using an NLE that supports realtime raw playback like Resolve or Premiere CC.

You can also keep the original source MLVs for storage/archival and not worry about having a bunch of DNGs taking up disk space, since MLVFS converts on the fly. This would applicable to your current situation too, imagine if you converted to DNGs and then deleted the original MLV, only realizing afterward that some important frames had not been converted or were corrupt.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dmilligan on January 22, 2015, 09:13:13 PM
You can also keep the original source MLVs for storage/archival and not worry about having a bunch of DNGs taking up disk space, since MLVFS converts on the fly. This would applicable to your current situation too, imagine if you converted to DNGs and then deleted the original MLV, only realizing afterward that some important frames had not been converted or were corrupt.

Exactly the reason(s) why I enjoy the freedom of MLVFS... It's so FLY & yet so easy! [emoji119]

Also another app worth noting... @Danne's 'cr2hdr-r' which works really well & allows for me to throw in different files (Dual-ISO, MLV, RAW) all at once during render and the best part is that it organizes into folders and keeps original MLV/RAW's in their respective separate folders to prevent from accidental deletion especially for a lazy guy like me. [emoji106]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109