Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gringodelobo

Quote from: Guitarshredder1 on April 01, 2017, 09:36:11 PM
Lmao I booted my camera up today to test before my first concert shoot tonight and got a blue screen of death, which I wasn't familiar with magic lantern and of course had me sweating bullets. I looked it up, forgetting what day it was and apparently it only happens on April 1, which is hilarious at first but then I realized I do need to shoot later today for a job. I changed the date in the canon menu, but would if it would be possible to remove this joke mode in a future update, that would be great. Thanks!

Aidan
+1

It might have been funny, if pressing the magic lantern button once would have just disabled it, but in it's current form... not so much. Mayor stress factor.

Daniel

Blue Screen Crash.

I would think most people don't know about this "prank".
Why do we have to waste time trying to figure out what is wrong with the camera?
When you are using your camera and trying to get work done and this nonsense shows to make using ML not enjoyable.

This is not funny, not a joke and not professional.
Come on.  Just remove this stupid prank. Not funny, Ugh...

No I don't want to change the date.  Dates on files should be correct.

Prank your web site, but not in the firmware for god sakes.
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

Guitarshredder1

Quote from: Daniel on April 02, 2017, 12:19:07 AM
Bug: Crash with Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS.

sometime I can take a few pictures then crash or crash about a 30 seconds after turning on.
blue screen stating there is a problem.  turning off takes a while for screen to turn off.

have not had this error with the Canon 24-70 2.8 MkII

I have beta-4a installed. been using ML on many different cameras over the years. first time I have got this blue screen error.

known issue?
Change the date in the canon menu, it's an April fools joke programmed into magic lantern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

louisjablonski

Hi fantastic people

Everytime i try to install the firmware my 70D says that its the incorrect firmware version..

Magic Lantern
Incorrect firmware version
Expecting a Canon 70D, with firmware version 112.
Please try installing ML for 70D 112 A
You may now remove your battery.

This may be a noob question, but yes I am a noob.. :'( Help plz.

//Louis

tyller7

Hi, After install the last firmware of ML, the menu bug (flash) in all 4-5 sec.
Ive been install the canon update (1.1.2) before.
Do you know what is the problem?  Thnx

sry fo the poor quality of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqAyULDG9Zw

offshore

Hi! I have a little problem with my camera and ML 70D fw 1.1.2 (beta 4a) ... frequently used to control EOS UTILITY wifi in the camera for astro sessions .... but when I activate the wifi and I try to take a pictures, camera freezes and shows several errors, once again error 70 error 80 sometimes freezes and I have to remove the battery to restore it anyway ... someone noticed the same problem? or is there any solution? thanks for any replies.

Roberto.
Canon EOS 70D Firm 1.1.2 Canon 70/300 Canon 17/85 Sigma 17/50 Sigma 10/20
ML Beta 4A

OlRivrRat

@ Tyller7

Go back to My Reply #2555 on 29Jun16 ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Thobias

So... 5D3 and 700D has 4K RAW now (almost), while 70D is still in beta? Why? Just question.
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

a1ex

Answered on the download page - each camera port is done by volunteers who own the camera, in their spare time. There's no Magic Lantern organization that does project management or gives priority to this or that camera model - it's simply the camera owners showing enough interest for implementing or porting these features (not by asking, but by updating the source code on their own initiative).

So, your question could be rephrased as "why are the 5D3 and 700D owners reverse engineering their cameras, and publishing their progress without waiting for 70D owners to catch up?!"

FYI, on 70D there are some important unresolved issues (FPS override, raw overlays in photo mode) and so far nobody found the answer to them.

Also FYI, most of the recent progress I've been posting lately applies to 70D and all other cameras. However, a 70D owner (I'm not one of them) has to follow the same steps and customize them for each camera (rather than complaining) - and the same is true for most other camera models.

markrmark

OK. So first off I am really grateful for Magic Lantern. I'm an independent filmmaker (who doesn't make any money from my films). I don't have the money for uber-expensive pro film gear. I use a 70D and a GoPro. MagicLantern has been helping me get better footage with its focus peaking and its zebras. Awesome features.

Having said that, I recently had a little scare on April Fools. I was out in the desert filming a documentary on rewilders foraging for edible roots for 10 days. About a week in we hit April 1st. We were way out in the desert, far away from civilization, cooking on a campfire and sleeping on grass mats, and digging up roots for food. I was trying my best to film the whole adventure! Keeping my camera gear clean while digging thru mud and soil is not easy.

Anyway, as we were hiking to a new camp spot, I was trying to get some shots of the landscape, and bam, blue screen of death. Reset everything, and still was happening. It was pretty ugh, trying to catch the coyotes or the frogs, or some bit of dialogue, only to hit the blue screen. The instructions seemed a little weird to me, but I tried playing with the ML settings. Then I was trying to interview my main subject in the grass, amidst the wind, and the camera kept borking out... Little did I know it was the clever work of firmware pranksters. Good one!

All in all, it was more fear that my camera was not going to hold out for the rest of the trip. I was able to get the shots with a little creative play, and was relieved when the problem did not seem to reoccur through the trip.

As I said, I'm still grateful for this amazing piece of software, which has held out really well (just not on April 1st!).

I'll post the link to the documentary short when its done.

Mark
Listening and Remembering
http://listenremember.org

matthieu.weber

Hello ML team,

First, I would like to congratulate you for your excellent firmware  :)
For me bests features are : Peak focus, movie restart + sound level meter and intervalometer.

Nevertheless, I've noticed something with this b4a release of ML which can scare 70D's owners (I couldn't find any topic about that but perhaps I dit a wrong search).

After installed and ran ML for a while, I putted a new blank 16Go SD card in my 70D, but, here noting happened : I was unable to switch on the camera !
If I remove the SD card, it started in "100% look like" Canon's firmware, and of course "No card" appears.

I tried with several (blank) SD cards : Same issue => No boot, no SD red light, nothing... even no top lcd or TFT display... Glups ! :o :-X

So I wrote back in one of my SD, ML b4a, then all worked fine again. :D

So nothing bad...  but a bit confusing and scaring.

If this is a normal behavior (not a bug), for me it should be mentioned on the how-to on this topic

(Like : Warning After installing ML, if you use a blank SD card, you won't be able to start your camera again. You must install ML files and dirs on every SD you are using with your camera while ML is installed on it").

Thanks !

Matthieu

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader, try again. Report back.

This issue will occur if you wipe ML contents (files) from a bootable card without making the card non-bootable. It's mentioned in FAQ, too.
We have no issue mixing ML and non-ML cards. Been there, done that over and over again.
Exception: An older EyeFi generation which is in fact incompatible with cam's bootflag set. Won't work until you uninstall ML from cam (=reset bootflag).

We would really love to iron out bugs without fighting FUD. Thanks!

To uninstall ML from card: Use Format option in cam with Q button pressed.
Just deleting ML files is plain wrong.

There are, however, cams showing this or similiar behauviour and not restricted to 70D. Those cams may have to be treated by a1ex himself and - hopefully - made "clean" again. See Camera Emergency Department forum.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: a1ex on April 18, 2017, 05:23:28 PM
Answered on the download page - each camera port is done by volunteers who own the camera, in their spare time. There's no Magic Lantern organization that does project management or gives priority to this or that camera model - it's simply the camera owners showing enough interest for implementing or porting these features (not by asking, but by updating the source code on their own initiative).

So, your question could be rephrased as "why are the 5D3 and 700D owners reverse engineering their cameras, and publishing their progress without waiting for 70D owners to catch up?!"

FYI, on 70D there are some important unresolved issues (FPS override, raw overlays in photo mode) and so far nobody found the answer to them.

Also FYI, most of the recent progress I've been posting lately applies to 70D and all other cameras. However, a 70D owner (I'm not one of them) has to follow the same steps and customize them for each camera (rather than complaining) - and the same is true for most other camera models.
Hey Alex,

While I understand that these features haven't been fixed for the 70D, at least personally for me they are not critical and have far more interest in lossless compressed 10/12/14bit RAW to get more out of the camera.  You mention you need us to dig into customizing the work you have done for the 70D body, is there anything you can point me too to guide me a little what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance!
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

a1ex

Have you tried clicking on the links from my post?

ShootMeAlready

For me there is really two 70D issues of note.
Biggies
- Variable fps for video.  ~ doable but requires tweaking between the two known A & B timers.
- LCD Preview of 10bit Raw clip. I have seen raw_twk.mo for my 600D and it worked better. However on 70D it plays once and hangs the camera. Probably an overwrite or improper re-initialization.  This is doable but requires some scrutinizing.  I suspect it should be doable, since we can see LCD live display when shooting, stands to reason its not a throughput hang, so play-back looks doable.

Nice to have
- 24fps for 3X mode video, which enables highest resolutions (even 2k).  Right now best is 30fps. Probably get solved as part of the first item.

I wont have enough time until August.  But I want to.  But just to get the raw_twk.mo working would take 10bit raw from interesting to practical. 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

TechnoPilot

Quote from: a1ex on April 27, 2017, 09:22:37 PM
Have you tried clicking on the links from my post?
I just re-reviewed them, I didn't realize they were different links I only saw the "TwoInOne" post, I'll do some more reading!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

TechnoPilot

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 27, 2017, 09:26:41 PM
For me there is really two 70D issues of note.
Biggies
- Variable fps for video.  ~ doable but requires tweaking between the two known A & B timers.
- LCD Preview of 10bit Raw clip. I have seen raw_twk.mo for my 600D and it worked better. However on 70D it plays once and hangs the camera. Probably an overwrite or improper re-initialization.  This is doable but requires some scrutinizing.  I suspect it should be doable, since we can see LCD live display when shooting, stands to reason its not a throughput hang, so play-back looks doable.

Nice to have
- 24fps for 3X mode video, which enables highest resolutions (even 2k).  Right now best is 30fps. Probably get solved as part of the first item.

I wont have enough time until August.  But I want to.  But just to get the raw_twk.mo working would take 10bit raw from interesting to practical.
Agreed, rawtwk is the highly interesting side to me, hence in terms of my own focus, I want to work on that side.  Thanks to @Alex, I've got some more reading to do!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

bakersdozen

For us newer to ML on the 70d, were the FPS override issues with speeding up or slowing down the frame rate? Or both? Is there anyway of getting this module unlocked on the current release so we could play with the timers more and test it out again?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

EOS M + 5D3

isidroco

Quote from: offshore on April 08, 2017, 10:13:02 AM
Hi! I have a little problem with my camera and ML 70D fw 1.1.2 (beta 4a) ... frequently used to control EOS UTILITY wifi in the camera for astro sessions .... but when I activate the wifi and I try to take a pictures, camera freezes and shows several errors, once again error 70 error 80 sometimes freezes and I have to remove the battery to restore it anyway ... someone noticed the same problem? or is there any solution? thanks for any replies. Roberto.

You hit famous err80 on 70D, it's main motherboard, probably bad soldering, after LiveView or Video sessions heat might trigger the fault until camera doesn't work anymore. Canon doesn't recognize their fault except for Brazil where I sent mine to a friend there for free repair.
Elsewhere it costs between 400 and 500 dollars. There are lots of users complaining and I'm seriously considering abandoning the brand.

deeky

Posted this in the Q&A forum, but putting it here hoping for a better response (like, anything).

I'm running ML on a 70D with the correct firmware version.  When I go to shoot live view with the focus peak overlay, I get nothing more than a magenta snow across the image.  Changing the threshold will change the rate of snowfall, but that's it.  As I move in and out of focus, it does not change the concentration of the snowflakes in any area.

It doesn't matter if I'm in Live View or all modes for Global Draw.
The zebras also will not show in live view, but only in image review after the shot is taken.
When in live view mode and the ML menu, the camera seems to glitch a little and occasionally flip to the live view image for just a second before flipping back to the ML menu.
I've tried 'uninstalling' ML by waiting and 'reinstalling' it again with the firmware update function.

Any suggestions?  Could it be a glitch in the download or extraction?

Thanks for the help.

tuxfoto

nikfreak

Quote from: deeky on May 24, 2017, 05:01:21 AM
Any suggestions?  Could it be a glitch in the download or extraction?

Yes, read the first post. There's a "What's not working" section covering your issues with the ML menu flickering as well as zebra stuff.
Raw zebras are not available and that topic has been covered a few times. I recommend to use "fast zebras"!
Focus peaking has been confirmed a dozen of times for 1.1.1 as well as 1.1.2 to be working. Ofc you may have found a bug but please describe the exact way and sum of settings to reproduce it.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

bakersdozen

Here's a quick summary of testing out FRSP https://youtu.be/QvExLlUC1cQ

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

EOS M + 5D3

donnie_brasco

Hi

Just installed ML today on my 70D. Firmware 1.1.2

Everything went fine, but I am left without/can't find a way to disable my AGC. (Main reason I decided to try ML). Is this option not in place for 70D? Do we have any idea if it will, and if yes, do we know when?

Thanks, DB

Walter Schulz

Consult Canon manual -> Setting the Sound Recording (p. 268): Sound Recording/Sound-Recording Level -> Manual