Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmhsiaoyi

What should  I do next?

when resolution over 960x540 (22.6mb/s) it must skip frames.

btw, can i change fps from 29.97 to 24?
70D.111B

Walter Schulz

Start here:
- Run MLV_REC.mo only. Turn off all other modules
- Run lens in manual mode
- You can't use ML "FPS override" in this version.
- Don't use crop mode

Use Canon menu to change "Movie rec. size" from "1920x1080 30 fps" to "1920x1080 24 fps".
Please report back if you're able to use 720p24 or not.

wmhsiaoyi

720p24 is working  :) :)

but  I can't edit it on computer  (use ML RAW Video Converter 1.91)

RAW=>DNG is fine but MLV=>DNG always not working.

70D.111B

Danne

What converter is that? Link?
For windows raw2cdng is recommended. Mlvfs for mac.

aedipuss

Danne - raw2cdng.1.7.4 doesn't work for 70d mlv files.  it produces dng images that can't be imported into adobe or vegas.  i haven't found any current utility for windows that does.  the closest i've come for windows is the latest jenkins build of cr2hdr-20bit will convert 70d dual iso cr2 to usable dng.

canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

wmhsiaoyi

i found that "Adobe Lightroom " can import the dng file but the quality is very low and still got a error message.
70D.111B

camslide

Quote from: wmhsiaoyi on August 30, 2015, 05:51:10 PM
i found that "Adobe Lightroom " can import the dng file but the quality is very low and still got a error message.
Already know issue. Use exiftool and change camera model to 60D.
70D.112

aedipuss

i've got lightroom also.  yes it imports 70d dng but if you export dng they still don't work in photoshop or vegas, even if you use the cdr2dng plugin.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

aedipuss

is there a way to batch all of a folder's dng at once with exiftool?
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

Walter Schulz

Windows: Open command prompt in directory and
exiftool <arguments> *.DNG

aedipuss

canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

kaidian

ML audio meters are showing much lower readings than the Canon meters. Using the Canon AGC mode as a test, the Canon meters run high into the yellow (-12db and above) but the ML meters dont match this and show very low readings. The same big mismatch happens in non AGC mode.

aedipuss

i used exiftool to change the output of raw2cdng.1.7.4 dngs "model" to Canon EOS 60D and the dng files still can't be opened by adobe or vegas.  is there something else other than model that needs to be changed by the exiftool?

canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

Danne

WHat happens when you export directly with mlv_dump? I think it recognize it as eos 6D. Also note that the adobe color matrices are the same for 70D and 6D so probably better to tag it as eos 6D rather than 60D?

nikfreak

Really, it's time for an official merge into unified and all those utilities like mlvdump / raw2dng need to be recompiled. Most of these CameraModel related stuff won't happen then.So lil' bit of more patience. It will happen soon or less once he's back...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

aedipuss

@Danne - the output dng files from mlv_dump don't work in windows versions adobe or vegas either.  changing "model" with exiftool to 6D doesn't help.

@nitfreak - LOL yes they say patience is a virtue, but it doesn't help get things tested.  :-)
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

DeafEyeJedi

*Fun Stuff*

One of my step-kids wanted me to record him singing a song... Decided to give 70D_Beta-1 a run on somewhat a long take in MLV with Audio.

Shot in 23.97fps w 50L 1.2 @ ISO 200 in 1440 x 654 (2.20:1) w GD on.

Workflow as follows:

MLVFS > AE (OICO for Cinelog-C FM + Apply LUT color Koji 2383) prior to exporting as H.264.

https://vimeo.com/137812055

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

kaidian

Posted this twice and no response, just more endless fixation with RAW on this forum. Audio is a problem that really does need attention.

ML audio meters are showing much lower readings than the Canon meters. Using the Canon AGC mode as a test, the Canon meters run high into the yellow (-12db and above) but the ML meters dont match this and show very low readings. The same big mismatch happens in non AGC mode.

laci.szebeni

Quote from: kaidian on August 31, 2015, 02:02:28 PM
Posted this twice and no response, just more endless fixation with RAW on this forum. Audio is a problem that really does need attention.

Yeah, I know what you mean.. A lot of people here fixating on raw and hdr and other child's toys like that, while totally ignoring the more important stuff that professionals use in ML to make their canons functional in their line of work. I feel like most of the people here on this forum are using their dslr to shoot stuff in their back yard..

dmilligan

If you have a problem with the direction of the project, feel free to contribute.

The developers here are not compensated and merely work on this as a hobby project. We work on the things that interest us, because we find it fun, interesting, and educational, and then we turn around and freely share our work with others. For some reason, this fact tends to piss a lot of people off, esp. "professionals". I really can't understand why.

Quote from: laci.szebeni on August 31, 2015, 02:09:07 PM
while totally ignoring the more important stuff that professionals use in ML to make their canons functional in their line of work.
Translation:
Quotewhile totally ignoring what I consider to be the more important stuff that I, as a professional, use in ML to make my canons functional in my line of work.

other child's toys like that
I feel like most of the people here on this forum are using their dslr to shoot stuff in their back yard..
I guess I probably fall into that category, and personally, I would much rather work with those people than the so called "professionals"*. They tend to be much more humble, useful, and more likely to contribute to this project than many of the arrogant "professionals" who simply step in and yell "You should be working [feature X] because I'm a pro, you're a child, and I said so".

*I'm not trying to make a generalization here, there are very many "professionals" who have done considerable work for this project, and that is greatly appreciated. It's the few bad apples that just come in and make demands and have a generally poor attitude, that I have a problem with.

Quote from: kaidian on August 31, 2015, 02:02:28 PM
Just because there was no response, doesn't mean that your post went unnoticed. I'm sure nikfreak appreciates all the reports of what is and isn't working, though he might not have time to respond to each and every one. Please continue to post problems that you might find, just know that it might not get an immediate response.

laci.szebeni

Quote from: dmilligan on August 31, 2015, 02:57:35 PM
If you have a problem with the direction of the project, feel free to contribute.

The developers here are not compensated and merely work on this as a hobby project. We work on the things that interest us, because we find it fun, interesting, and educational, and then we turn around and freely share our work with others. For some reason, this fact tends to piss a lot of people off, esp. "professionals". I really can't understand why.
Translation:
I guess I probably fall into that category, and personally, I would much rather work with those people than the so called "professionals"*. They tend to be much more humble, useful, and more likely to contribute to this project than many of the arrogant "professionals" who simply step in and yell "You should be working [feature X] because I'm a pro, you're a child, and I said so".

*I'm not trying to make a generalization here, there are very many "professionals" who have done considerable work for this project, and that is greatly appreciated. It's the few bad apples that just come in and make demands and have a generally poor attitude, that I have a problem with.
Just because there was no response, doesn't mean that your post went unnoticed. I'm sure nikfreak appreciates all the reports of what is and isn't working, though he might not have time to respond to each and every one. Please continue to post problems that you might find, just know that it might not get an immediate response.
Funny thing is, if the team would concentrate on building a stable, useful ML, like the late v2.3, most of these arrogant "professionals" would gladly pay for it. Even if they'd only charge like 30 bucks for it, at say.. 1000 users, that would make for quite an income..

nikfreak

Who said that anyone is interested in income? For me it is like dmilligan said: a hobby project. Your calculation is really unrealistic if you would emphasize how much time I spent into bringing ML to 70D. And I am only talking about me - not other device maintainers / contributors / devs. Anyways let's return to topic please and stay on topic. I don't wanna have the 70D thread going offtopic:

I will recheck the audio meters and see if I can solve the reported issues (no promises)...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

kaidian

Ok all, lets take a deep breath, professionala and enthusiasts alike.

Thanks to the dedication of unpaid people such as nikfreak and others, ML has taken Canon DSLR's from an being an inadequate filmmaking tool to a pretty good filmmaking tool. Everyone can enjoy and explore the RAW capabilities but lets also keep an eye on fundamental features that are currently not right such as Audio. Pretty much everything else is working extremely well in Beta 1. I have been testing it for five days.

bigorna

I thought that real professionals would be recording audio from a stand alone recorder, like a Tascam or Zoom and not from 70D.

Walter Schulz

Nikfreak asked most friendly to return to topic.