Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2015, 07:55:31 PM
6b shouldn't change that behaviour but thx for the detailed report (either it hasn't been reported that way til now or I didn't see it til now - it's new to me). That means I need to take a look again at arrow keys but anyways I recommend everybody to update as the log files (links on bitbucket) show no errors with 6b. if you have time please do a comparision of raw temperatures as stated above:
Yeah, truthfully I didn't notice the issue until now as I have not had to change my exposure often after the start of recording.  The questions queued me to try it out.

Sure thing Nikfreak, I'll compare some extended runtime temps tonight before upgrading and after, does it matter to you if it is extended recording temps or just camera running temps, do you have a preference?
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

I am interested in the internal raw temperatures shown in bottom debug menu (raw value). I measured it like that: turned cam on with 5b release and recorded a 5 min h264 video and checked the value in debug menu. Afterwards immediately installed 6b and turned cam off to cool down. Then did the same 5 min h264 with 6b and the values seemed decreased by a raw value of ~15. Maybe you could do the test with a longer video to be rest assured it was no placebo to me but from what i can tell the area around set / lock buttons and sdcard slot in bottom right corner feels much less heated to me now too...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Figuring that it was something in My Settings (PilotError) (as I usually do in these sorts of Situ's) I gave the ML Menu another OnceOver

& noticing that I had Gradual Exposure "On", decided to turn it "Off" to see if that would resolve the issue - It Did.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

TechnoPilot

Quote from: OlRivrRat on July 13, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
      @NikFreak

Figuring that it was something in My Settings (PilotError) (as I usually do in these sorts of Situ's) I gave the ML Menu another OnceOver

& noticing that I had Gradual Exposure "On", decided to turn it "Off" to see if that would resolve the issue - It Did.
Interesting, since I am shooting with it on for those tests, I haven't tried it with it off since it was working.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

@OlRivrRat: nevermind. Without your report I wouldn't have tried to replicate and found the small bug with arrow key mode...

camslide

While playing around with the new release my raw temp is around 186. I'm on firmware rev B.
Tried to use Silent Picture but only getting weird results:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4047/5imgr3qd_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4047/c9726r4b_jpg.htm
Furthermore the power indicator is showing wrong numbers. My shoulder display shows half power but ML overlay only showing 0% power. Maybe because I'm using a 3rd party battery grip?!
70D.112

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Temp Test

70D_111B Alpha5b

Started @       163º

>5:45Min H264      188º

Let it Cool for @Least 15Min with SD & Batt Out & Doors Open

70D_111B Alpha6b

Started @      163º

>5:45Min H264      193º

Guess I really shouldn't put the "º" after the numbers since the really aren't degrees.

nikfreak

These are not °celsius / fahrenheit. Just raw values but thx for testing. Looks like a placebo on my side  :o. No need to test again

Quote from: camslide on July 13, 2015, 09:48:00 PM
While playing around with the new release my raw temp is around 186. I'm on firmware rev B.
Tried to use Silent Picture but only getting weird results:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4047/5imgr3qd_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4047/c9726r4b_jpg.htm
Furthermore the power indicator is showing wrong numbers. My shoulder display shows half power but ML overlay only showing 0% power. Maybe because I'm using a 3rd party battery grip?!

FRSP is working nice over here. No problems saving as DNG / MLV. Can't reproduce your issue atm. Anyone else having this on A or B rev?
Grip: use w/o to see if it works. I guess it would also happen with original grip

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2015, 09:59:55 PM
These are not °celsius / fahrenheit. Just raw values but thx for testing. Looks like a placebo on my side  :o

FRSP is working nice over here. No problems saving as DNG / MLV. Can't reproduce your issue atm.
Grip: use w/o to see if it works. I guess it would also happen with original grip
I'll give it a test when I get home as well for a richer dataset of cameras, though I'm also revB.

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

& noticing that I had Gradual Exposure "On", decided to turn it"Off" to see if that would resolve the issue - It Did.

More on this - or - Moron this - Whichever you think fits -

Gradual Exposure is not a Prob' in & of itself. What was exacerbating the Situ' was that I had it set to 1EV/512Frames so it wasn't showing any results

on the Display. With patients the Display "Makes the change".

camslide

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2015, 09:59:55 PM
These are not °celsius / fahrenheit. Just raw values but thx for testing. Looks like a placebo on my side  :o

FRSP is working nice over here. No problems saving as DNG / MLV. Can't reproduce your issue atm. Anyone else having this on A or B rev?

Tested w/o battery grip and correct values are displayed. One of both batteries was empty.
Seems like the temperature I reported was only for the first 15 minutes. Now I'm between 210-213.
Do you need further data for Silent Picture?
70D.112

nikfreak

@ALL: Updated 1st post changelog:
Please delete ML directory before using 6b so we can be rest assured there are no leftovers(config files) from previous versions

@camslide: Got an idea regarding your issue. But it maybe would only apply if you had fps override active. Just to be sure: can you delete Ml directory and try 6b from scratch and then try to replicate your issue? If it still happens can you note down your steps so we can replicate?

camslide

@nikfreak:
Didn't have fps override enabled but deleted ML directory and started from scratch. Same results. When trying to open the picture with PS it isn't recognized. Maybe I'm the error?! Do I have to convert the picture?
When reviewing the files by using the file manager pictures look the same as on my computer.
Here are my steps:
-I activated all modules except arkanoid ->reboot
-went to Shoot tab
-scroll down to Silent Picture ->press Q
-set mode to Simple and File Format to DNG
-start live view
-either push Shutter button half way or * button (both works for me)
-push shutter button again to get back to live view
-shut down camera
-insert SD Card to computer and import pictures using Lightroom
-when I try to develop the file in LR I get an error message "file either not supported or damaged"
70D.112

nikfreak

Quote from: camslide on July 13, 2015, 11:28:41 PM
-I activated all modules except arkanoid ->reboot
-set mode to Simple and File Format to DNG

... means you got dualiso enabled, too, right? Which tools do you use for conversion?
Let's start simple. Disable all modules except silent.mo and then try with fullres mode, too (not simple)! Result?

camslide

Quote from: nikfreak on July 14, 2015, 06:38:01 AM
... means you got dualiso enabled, too, right? Which tools do you use for conversion?
Let's start simple. Disable all modules except silent.mo and then try with fullres mode, too (not simple)! Result?
I didn't use any conversion tools. Thought, dng should work right out of camera. What tools do I need to use?
I disabled all modules except silent.mo, took some test shot with full-res.

EDIT:I just tested in on my other computer with LR 5.7 and it works great(6.1 on the other one). Can anybody explain why LR 6.1 doesn't work with these dng files?
70D.112

TechnoPilot

@NikFreak

Okay so I took the time to run through some temperature testing on my 70D.111B.

Alpha 6
Idle: 184
5:00min: 194
5:45min: 197
10:00min: 202
15:00min: 206

Alpha 6b
Idle: 192
5:00min: 208
5:45min: 211
10:00min: 211
15:00min: 213

Overall I found it ran hotter than Alpha 6, this was with the same settings (manually setup).

One thing I did find different is that with the old Alpha 6 build, if I hit the ISO button while recording video, nothing happened, now in 6b it highlights the ISO value and the control wheel now changes the value and it does not error, however using the AF Mode button while recording does during rapid changes.

If there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

lojzik

QuoteHint: There's also a Burn-in test called "Quick test (around 15 min)" in debug menu which you can run!!!
What should be result of Quick test?
Last message was :) and camera is not in initial state (different WB, bulb in AV)
70D.112

nikfreak

There's no real result. Cam is just doing stuff itself. Kind of a self test- I just want to hear if the test finished successfully or you got problems (ofc the test will change lots of values / settings and you will have to start from scratch). As you seen the hint for the test: How about some more help regarding a working feature list (see reminder on 1st page)?

lojzik

some tests
shot feastures
- advaced bracket
- default params (auto and constant frames) - ok
- default + iso shifting (auto frames) - ok
- default + DOF + constant frames - ok
- default + flash + (auto/constant) frames - ok
- intervalometer
- interval 2s -> real interval for 5 pictures: 3, 1, 3, 1
- trigger - all ok

image review
  - play mode
  exposure adjust - ok
  timelapse play - ok both directions
  compare - ok
  trigger key - all ok
  - image review - ok
  - quick zoom
    single press -> 100% - ok
    fast - ok
    full zoom on AF - error (zoom on center)
    f zoom on last pos - ok

Auto ETTR
- in Av sometimes only changes ISO and time with constant exposure (400, 50 ) -> (100, 13), or (400, 50) -> (12800, ?)
trigger mode
   - set - ok
   - halfS dbl - mostly not triggered
   - auto snap - sometimes takes more pictures (3 pictures with different exposure or 4 pictures with identical exposure)

edit 14.7. 20:29
Expo lock
  - Off/Tv,ISO/Tv,Av - ok
  - off/ISO,Tv/Tv,Av - ok
  - off/Tv,ISO/Av,Tv - ok
  - iso,Av/Tv,ISO/Av,Tv - ok
  - iso,Av/off/Av,Tv - ok

Dual ISO
  - 200/800 - ok
  - 200/+2EV - ok
  - alternate frames - ok
  - custom file prefix - ok
  - I have some problem with conversion to dng (link to correct cr2hdr, cr2hdr20bit?)

Expo presets
  - Press Info - OK
  - Press Set - Error (canon action, but if i use set for ettr, it works)
  - white balance only in K mode

Overlay (all in photo mode)
  - zebras
     under, over - ok
     color space - imo all ok

focus peak
  - greyscale - ok
  - other parameters - it does something, but I can't see exactly difference in result

edit 14.7. 20:38
arcanoid
  - problems with background - after camera start some noise, in other cases last image (LV, from play mode)

edit 15.7. 19:55
crop marks
- show in photo mode - ok
- show in play mode - photo topleft+metadata -> cropmark on whole display

ghost image
- play with photo topleft+metadata -> overlay photo only on topleft in LV

spotmetter
- spotmeter unit - imo ok (but i can't verify right values)
- spot position - ok

LV with ML overlay
- randomly hide focus box

false color
- original image on spotmeter position
- banding detection - BW noisy image in LV (I don't know what is right result)
- green screen - only BW image without something green (I don't know what is right result)

waveform
- all modes do something, I can't verify result

vektorscope
- ok

edit 15.7. 20:22
histogram
- all choises does what I expect (I can't exactly verify displayed histogram)

level indicator
- freezes after I left magiclantern overlay LV page

DOF settings
- ok,  small difference between displayed and real distance (distances to 1 meter)

edit 16.7. 10:25
DotTune AFMA
Scan type - auto
scan passes - 2 and 10, probably ok (display is off during scan (bug or feature?))
AFMA mode - wide and tele on zoom, prime on prime - results looks ok
70D.112

nikfreak

@lojzik: keep up testing and providing results like that. This is exactly how it is expected and will improve the chance of being merged into unified branch  ;D
@others: may I ask anothe rone of you willing to provide same kind of report as lojzik does (just to raise the chance we don't miss a crucial bug and also verify lojzik's results)

More info on what to do on 1st page (reminder-link / changelog).

nikfreak

@lojzik: regarding dualiso please follow Walter's advice if you have Lightroom http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.msg151160#msg151160. I provided and used own cr2hdr in past but removed it from 1st post after people confirmed it working with the LR plugin.

DeafEyeJedi

@loljzik:

Would you mind me asking which Alpha build did you use for the test that you just did?

@nikfreak:

Welcome back and hope your trip went well.

Just downloaded 6b -- will test thoroughly and report back asap.

Thanks!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lojzik

@DeafEyeJedi: Alpha6b (magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jul13.70D111B.zip)
70D.112

muc2810

Sorry for offtopic:

Does anybody know if 70D is able to read/write 256GB Cards?

Thanks
Stefan
70D - FW 1.1.1 Rev. A.

SimonEngel

To all of you who have the same issue with opening the "fullressilentpicture" DNG files. I found a way to make it work. At least it is a temporary solution.
You have to change the "Unique Camera Model" in the metadata of the DNG file to "Canon EOS 60D".

Here is how you can do it:
1. Get exiftool from here: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
2. Open a command prompt (like CMD in Windows)
3. Navigate to the folder where your DNG files are located
4. Run the command: exiftool -UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 60D" *.DNG
5. DONE: you can now open the DNG files in CameraRAW or Lightroom again

I hope Adobe will fix it soon!

Thanks
Simon