Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surrealtime

@joanmsoriano you may have to reboot your camera. Look it up online.

OlRivrRat

@JoanMSoriano

I recently was asked by a friend to have a look @ her 40D as it had ceased to start up & within a few minutes I discovered that 1 of the Pins

in the Card Slot appeared to be missing but upon closer inspection I found that it was bent over, Flat, @ 90º to where it was supposed to be.

With a great deal of care I was able to straighten it back up to its Original Stance & that 40D is again Alive & Well. So have a careful look down

into the SD Card Slot of your 70D & make sure that nothing looks Out Of Place. You won't see a bunch of pins like in the CF Card Slot on the

40D but there are some Very Fine Wires down in there could get bent by Who Knows What. It's still a Mystery as to how that 40Ds pin got bent.

ML content ~~ I'll be surprised if this issue turns out to be ML Related.

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

xsghost

Quote from: OlRivrRat on July 01, 2015, 06:22:06 AM
@JoanMSoriano
       ML content ~~ I'll be surprised if this issue turns out to be ML Related.

Oh! It's ML related alright..
Since installing the 31st of may build, I've had these 2 incidents happen to me:

1. While recording h264 video, i opened the ML menu to disable the extra sharpening of display feature. When I got out of the menu, the black bars above and bellow the video had become translucent (video was still recording). When I stopped recording, and then turned recording back on, the "Recording was stopped automatically" message was displayed and wouldn't go away. Turning the camera off from the switch did not turn the camera off. I had to quickly pull out the battery, and then restarted it (it was during a paid gig). It worked fine after that, but I took great care not to access the ML menu while recording any more.

2. I was recording and I had the "Card full" message pop up. So I turned the camera off, and changed the card to a fresh empty one (that had the same build of ML on it; yes, I'm sure it was the same build, I had installed the same build of ML on all my cards at the same time, like I always do when a new build comes out). Anywho, so I put the fresh card in, and turn on the camera, but the display remains black, buttons do nothing, only the card LED lights up. Start sweating, turn the camera back off and on again, same thing. Camera off, pull out the battery, put battery back in, camera on, same thing. My face started going through all the colors. After repeating the pulling out the battery thing for a few times, it had finally started up like nothing happened. I don't know why...
70D.111A     - 600D, 70D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 18-35 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC

DeafEyeJedi

That's why this is called "Alpha" and also it has been recommended to go back to Alpha5b since Alpha6 is unfortunately still quite buggy according to @nikfreak.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

OlRivrRat

@xsghost

Consider Me "somewhat" surprised, as we still need to hear back from JoanMSoriano on the status of that issue. It does

seem quite similar to your 2nd incident though.

Might have been nice of you to report the incidents that you had when they happened so others might have benefitted

from the info.

laci.szebeni

Quote from: OlRivrRat on July 01, 2015, 09:55:47 PM
@xsghost

Consider Me "somewhat" surprised, as we still need to hear back from JoanMSoriano on the status of that issue. It does

seem quite similar to your 2nd incident though.

Might have been nice of you to report the incidents that you had when they happened so others might have benefitted

from the info.
Well I see a lot of vague undocumented posts around here, and I didn't want to be that guy that just posts about a bug without being sure about what caused it exactly.
As long as I can't repeat that situation, I can't really call it a bug or claim I know what I'm talking about.
Having said that, I have had the camera refuse to turn on after switching cards more than once now, displaying just a black unresponsive screen. I can't tell for sure what sequence of steps must be taken to achieve it, or how to avoid it. I know for sure only that it happens both when changing cards while the camera is on, and if you turn the camera off before the change...

DeafEyeJedi

Did you wait 3-5 seconds after opening door before taking the card out during swap?

laci.szebeni

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on July 02, 2015, 07:04:11 AM
Did you wait 3-5 seconds after opening door before taking the card out during swap?
I'm not one to count seconds, but I do always wait for the led activity to stop. That's my queue for knowing when to take out the card.

OlRivrRat

@laci.szebeni

Would you please state which 70D Version & which ML Build you are using.

& maybe some info about your SDCards.

laci.szebeni

70D version A (it's also in my signature as requested by nikfreak). ML build 31st of May (Nightly 2015 May 31 70D111A).

iterronez

Hello Forum,

I have a longer post with findings on Alpha6, but I wanted to try Alpha5b first. Where can I download it? I looked and looked, believe me.

Thank you!

iterronez

@Walter Schulz: Thank you! (Sorry I couldn't find it.)

EOS70D JP

Hello 70D Forum,

Thanks for Magic Lantern!!
Now we learning Magic Lantern and translating into Japanese.
So very hard...

So, we want to try "Alpha 5b" too.
Could anyone tell us where can we download it?

Thank you.

DeafEyeJedi

@EOS70D JP:

Read two posts up above...

That link will take you there.

Walter Schulz

Filedropper links not working.

Alpha 5 A
Alpha 5 B

Please report if not working ...

joanmsoriano

i try with and without lens, i try 2 sd cards, i change batteries ,
i´m using sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs, u try some kingstone sd cards without ml

my camera is  70D (W), i installed magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B to test RAW video, it work fine in 2 sd cards.
i didn´t use the camera for some weeks, i turn it on and it happen, the led was black, the rear buttons doesn´t work, and the sd light turns on and keeps that way

Canon 70D (W)
sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs
Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B

laci.szebeni

I've been following this thread for a few months now and it's becoming quite clear that the build for the B version of the 70D is a lot funkier. It seems that 80% of the problems come from that camera.
Or maybe there are just more B owners..  Who knows?...

OlRivrRat

@ joanmsoriano

What does the " (W) " after  70D mean?

laci.szebeni

Quote from: OlRivrRat on July 03, 2015, 06:57:12 PM
@ joanmsoriano

What does the " (W) " after  70D mean?
I'm assuming he's referring to the WiFi version.

joanmsoriano

my problem with all what happen and what i try

first of all, i use ML on my t2i for 3 years without a problem, so using it on my 70d was not my first time. i always wait until the SD card light turns off and i shut the camera off to take out or change the memory

I use the Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B on my sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs (2 of them) and test it on my Canon 70D (W) (the wifi model)

I test the raw footage and other visual stuffs i use on my t2i, it work fine

i turn off the camera and didn´t use it for 3 weeks, i think that i have left the baterry on the camera this time

When i take the camera and turn it on, the led was black, and rear buttons didn´t work, the top panel was on and ok, and that buttons and settings work fine, the f on the rear panel was working with a digital lens. i also notice that the sd light was on and never turn off

i have done this so far:

- Change SD card
- Change batteries (i have 1 canon original and 3 non-original)
- left the camera without batteries 24hours
- install latest version of ML , magiclantern-Nightly.2015May31.70D111A, the led turn on with a ML text saying that it wasn´t the model for that ML, so i install magiclantern-Nightly.2015May31.70D111B, and it was back to black led without rear buttons working
- try a SD card without ML
- now i´m trying toi rebooy my camera, but i read that this model doesn´t have an internal battery that users can reach, so i´m trying with a tip for this that says that if i keep on without batteries the camera some minutes, and then some hours off without battery it might work. if it doesn´t, i will take it to service to reboot
Canon 70D (W)
sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs
Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B

Walter Schulz

"Internal battery removal" resolving troubles is a myth. It's clock battery.

laci.szebeni

Quote from: joanmsoriano on July 03, 2015, 07:49:45 PM

first of all, i use ML on my t2i for 3 years without a problem, so using it on my 70d was not my first time. i always wait until the SD card light turns off and i shut the camera off to take out or change the memory

I use the Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B on my sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs (2 of them) and test it on my Canon 70D (W) (the wifi model)

i turn off the camera and didn´t use it for 3 weeks, i think that i have left the baterry on the camera this time

When i take the camera and turn it on, the led was black, and rear buttons didn´t work, the top panel was on and ok, and that buttons and settings work fine, the f on the rear panel was working with a digital lens. i also notice that the sd light was on and never turn off

i have done this so far:

- Change SD card
- install latest version of ML , magiclantern-Nightly.2015May31.70D111A, the led turn on with a ML text saying that it wasn´t the model for that ML, so i install magiclantern-Nightly.2015May31.70D111B, and it was back to black led without rear buttons working
- now i´m trying toi rebooy my camera, but i read that this model doesn´t have an internal battery that users can reach, so i´m trying with a tip for this that says that if i keep on without batteries the camera some minutes, and then some hours off without battery it might work. if it doesn´t, i will take it to service to reboot

I don't understand.. How did you try installing ML again? Can you access the Canon menu?

a1ex

Got it, so bootloader is working, but something's wrong with the main firmware.

Can you send me a copy of ML/LOGS/ROM*.BIN from your card? (hopefully you still have a ML card with these files)

Then, when nikfreak returns, I'll ask him to prepare a ROM dumper from the recovery branch (it's easy, there are some stubs to find).

Since you have a second Canon camera, this test could be also helpful: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13070
(you will need compiling skills, and it might not work out of the box, so it's best if nikfreak could help here as well)

I can help with the compiling part next week, but I'll need a tester (since we need to try the diagnostic tools on a good camera as well).

laci.szebeni

Quote from: joanmsoriano on July 03, 2015, 07:49:45 PM

i have done this so far:

- Change SD card
Also, did you by any chance use the SD card somewhere else before putting it back in the 70D when it stopped working?

I ask because it reminds me of this situation I had: I took by mistake the SD card from my T3i (with t3i ML on it) and inserted it in my 70D, and it froze up when I turned it on (black screen, non responsive). I think I had to take out the battery to power it down, but it then recovered when I inserted the correct SD card with the 70D ML on it.

So...