Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granan13

I wouldn't say impossible; a few years before shooting in RAW with ML was considered as impossible and "Would it be possible to shoot in raw with ML ?" had the same type of categorical response.

It's not possible yet, and no one is trying to achieve it yet, but one day, who knows ? Don't be categorical, the people working on ML are doing an amazing job and I'm sure that in the future they'll achieve things they think impossible right now.
70D -- 18-135 stm -- Sigma 18-35 F1,8 -- Super takumar 50mm F1,4

Teran0vA

Quote from: granan13 on March 07, 2015, 02:52:10 PM
I wouldn't say impossible; a few years before shooting in RAW with ML was considered as impossible and "Would it be possible to shoot in raw with ML ?" had the same type of categorical response.

It's not possible yet, and no one is trying to achieve it yet, but one day, who knows ? Don't be categorical, the people working on ML are doing an amazing job and I'm sure that in the future they'll achieve things they think impossible right now.

No amount of programing can change hardware limits. Your example is wrong because shooting raw is only using the sensor differently than originally programed, not improving it. It was always capable of doing it, just not programed to do it.

granan13

I'm surely being too much optimistic, it will probably not happen, but even with hardware limits there could be solutions to get over it, they have not been found yet, and maybe they will never be. Hardware limits can be overridden; no jack output on 60D ? ML team found a solution. Of course this and the 60fps issue are totally different, but the fact is, even if all things considered i agree with your point, I'm just not as categorical about an uncompromising impossibility.
70D -- 18-135 stm -- Sigma 18-35 F1,8 -- Super takumar 50mm F1,4

grey

Quote from: granan13 on March 08, 2015, 12:42:17 AM
I'm surely being too much optimistic, it will probably not happen, but even with hardware limits there could be solutions to get over it, they have not been found yet, and maybe they will never be. Hardware limits can be overridden; no jack output on 60D ? ML team found a solution. Of course this and the 60fps issue are totally different, but the fact is, even if all things considered i agree with your point, I'm just not as categorical about an uncompromising impossibility.

AV output via USB connector always was in all Canon VDSLR. Redirecting audio data to USB connector is matter of programming.

Reading sensor at 1/3 of vertical resolution at more than 30 FPS is impossible. This is hardware limit that can't be overridden.

BTW sensor always outputs RAW data. No matter photo or video. ML just giving you a chance to write this data to memory card.

jcdu11600

I'm looking for the magic lantern's parameters in the 70D to rec video with a remote.
I bought a LEXAR 2000x 64Go but i can't rec over 7 sec in raw mode

Walter Schulz

Waste of money. There is no Canon DSLR supporting UHS-II. 70D SD-card slot supports write rates up to about 40 MByte/s -> around 720p25 in RAW.

nikfreak

updated first post. Read changelog before you continue.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

deusex1

Nikfreak, thanks for the update man, you are the best!

crirus

Anything related to leaving the screen on while USB/HDMI is pluged in?

Smarty Pants

1. all versions so far have installed on my 70D without issue
2. brilliant work nikfreak and friends
3. wish people would stop the inane chatter on this thread (18 pages of crap so far)  (eg. walter shulz and co., you buy a fast card so when transferring video to your computer it doesn't take 3 hours but hey you know everything it seems, keep this thread to ML 70D and chat somewhere else please)

Testing RAW 1280x720 , default settings, manual exposure, AF with 50mm f1.8
Both RAW and MLV record, MLV the first time takes a while for the 281Mb file to write and also displays that a static image only uses about 14Mb/s(normally hovers around 38.3)(landscape HD RAW video might be doable? if these are correct values).

Both have the following bug:
Whilst recording press AF-ON to auto-focus, snaps into focus, from this point onwards autofocus will no longer work and ML shutter speed in ML shows: N/A, -214748364
You now also cannot change the shutter speed or aperture on the normal display until you restart the camera(flick to photo and back again) - the liveview exposure simulation still works but lags.

Hope this helps.

Any chance you could enable the Audio menu so we can stop the screen going off when you plug in headphones in the next version?

thanks nik

nikfreak

Quote from: Smarty Pants on March 09, 2015, 10:21:28 PM

Both have the following bug:
Whilst recording press AF-ON to auto-focus, snaps into focus, from this point onwards autofocus will no longer work and ML shutter speed in ML shows: N/A, -214748364
You now also cannot change the shutter speed or aperture on the normal display until you restart the camera(flick to photo and back again) - the liveview exposure simulation still works but lags.

Hope this helps.

Any chance you could enable the Audio menu so we can stop the screen going off when you plug in headphones in the next version?

thanks nik

Did you have that bug in previous versions? I only tested myself touch-af while video recording.
Regarding audio: last time i tried was weeks ago but it was crashing. Ofc I will have a look into it again.

vfero

Been testing ALPHA04 for advanced bracketing : Really strange noise at each shot. The noise is like another click just after the real one ( sounds like scissors... )

Don't know if it can be dangerous, and don't know if it can help

Here's a video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ekvB0_NCFF8

Cheers,
Vfero

Smarty Pants

sorry: i don't remember it happening before so i don't remember testing it and i've deleted the test content so can't check now

AF is disabled after the first go during record and won't come back when recording has stopped but,
if you let it go into power save and press start to reactivate you get AF and shutter speed/aperture control back again in liveview (with other weird and strange numbers in ML shutter speed like "..N 12"..5s)
if you then record you only get 1 go at AF again
manually moving to MF makes no difference

re audio: whenever is good for you

i've also noticed in this version that the menu doesn't flicker so much or disappear so quickly, if you keep pressing an arrow it stays most of the time, seems the RAW menu is the least stable and photo mode is the most.

Glassed

Hello !

Just tryed the Alpha4 , the camera bricked for a moment and threw a "error 80" , had to remove the battery for a few seconds to get it back to life.

rotaryman

Smarty Pants: I'm having the same shutter speed issue. This didn't appear before in previous builds. Shutter speeds drop to -2.44950 and so on and so forth and are unchangeable. Also still no confirmation on Magic Zoom.

Joos

thank you very much for your work, use ML a long time, even with the 550d. But do not you think that the version 4 is already quite stable, and you can add support for other versions of canon 70d ? very hard to wait )))
sorry for my english
canon 70d_rev_B

nikfreak

Quote from: vfero on March 09, 2015, 11:50:15 PM
Been testing ALPHA04 for advanced bracketing : Really strange noise at each shot. The noise is like another click just after the real one ( sounds like scissors... )

Checked the video and updated the first post with a new download link which disables bracketing. Everybody please download that and delete the old one until I can reproduce. Please check the reported AF issues while recording video with this new download.

grey

Quote from: nikfreak on March 10, 2015, 08:26:25 AM
Checked the video and updated the first post with a new download link which disables bracketing. Everybody please download that and delete the old one until I can reproduce. Please check the reported AF issues while recording video with this new download.

I looked at that video, and nothing wrong with sounds. Tried AB on my 6D and 70D, and sound identically.

grey

BTW. Nikfreak, i have 6D, EOS M, 500D and 70D. All with ML. If you need any help in comparison of modules on several different cameras, i can help.

grey

Ha, i got it. for some reason in AB mode drive is set to silent mode, and this produce this "strange" sound. Sitting and trying AB mode. It's work perfect.

grey

Sorry for my english. I'm study it only in school.  ::)

grey

On 6D AB also use silent shutter.

nikfreak

Hey grey thank you for reporting your findings. As I understood 6D produces same sound by default and you have to turn off silent shooting to get it working?

grey

Quote from: nikfreak on March 10, 2015, 02:37:28 PM
Hey grey thank you for reporting your findings. As I understood 6D produces same sound by default and you have to turn off silent shooting to get it working?

NO. By default AB turns drive mode to silent, i think it's for less blurring caused by camera shake via shutter actuating. Camera produces this "strange" sound in silent mode, especially in LV. So sound on video is quite normal. I have same sound on 6D. And if you turn drive to Silent, and try to shoor via LV you get same sound. Summary: AB in yesterday Alpha works fine.

grey

If you look at top display when AB taking pictures, you will see  "S" symbol appear near drive mode. 6d and 70d, no matter.