Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isi25

Quote from: draco on January 16, 2015, 04:39:56 AM
Well shoot I can't load the firmware. It goes to the grey Canon "Firmware update program" screen with "Loading.." in the middle for 1 second then the screen turns black and quickly exits to the shooting info screen. I guess this means I have the older firmware. My 70D serial #062022010573. I purchased the Camera 8/12/2014 from B&H.

Guys, are you sure the two versions depends on dates or could it be something else? For example, a slightly different firmware version for (W)/(N) models or something like that ? I guess it's a newbie question but just in case xD
Just saying 'couse this guy bought his cam a month ago...

Also thnx nikfreak, a1ex and everyone involved on this. It's been a happy week finding out you guys are now developing the 70D version of ML. I've been waiting more than a year to read that! Lol.
70D_111B, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Rokinon Cine 35mm T1.5 . NEXT: Rokinon Cine 85mm T1.5

johnha

I've tried shooting at 3.0x bit rate and the resultant files are no larger than 1.0x bit rate. So I don't think the bit rate setting works currently. Could anyone else confirm?

Canon-Ball

QuoteQuote from: draco on Today at 04:39:56 AM
Well shoot I can't load the firmware. It goes to the grey Canon "Firmware update program" screen with "Loading.." in the middle for 1 second then the screen turns black and quickly exits to the shooting info screen. I guess this means I have the older firmware. My 70D serial #062022010573. I purchased the Camera 8/12/2014 from B&H.
Guys, are you sure the two versions depends on dates or could it be something else? For example, a slightly different firmware version for (W)/(N) models or something like that ? I guess it's a newbie question but just in case xD
Just saying 'couse this guy bought his cam a month ago...

Also thnx nikfreak, a1ex and everyone involved on this. It's been a happy week finding out you guys are now developing the 70D version of ML. I've been waiting more than a year to read that! Lol.

Might be an idea, but I'd guess his camera was just a kind of "slow seller". I bought mine also in December and my serial starts with 13302600xxxx. The outer packing states June 2014...
However, I didn't find the time to test ML Alpha for the 70D, but I'm quite happy that it is available. Tnx!

Guitarshredder1

@johnha, yeah, I noticed the same exact thing.

nikfreak

Quote from: Guitarshredder1 on January 16, 2015, 12:46:28 PM
@johnha, yeah, I noticed the same exact thing.

I updated the first post. Keep up reporting all bugs you find....
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

pa0los

Today I crashed my camera while playing with RAW recording. The LCD displayed Err 70 when I tried to turn it on.
For a moment I thought that the camera is bricked, but then I formatted the SD card on PC, removed the battery for a minute and it seems to be working again (without ML for now).
I found some crash log files on the SD card. Here are some of them (i removed the build info since we only have this alpha ver):
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_VD_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) ) at ./Evf/EvfState.c:428, task ?
lv:1 mode:0 Free Memory  : 190K + 1855K
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_VD_GMT, NULL, 0 ) ) at ./Gmt/GmtState.c:4845, task ?
lv:0 mode:0 Free Memory  : 191K + 1848K
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_READOUTDONE_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) ) at ./Evf/EvfState.c:374, task ?
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_RESET_PSAVE_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) ) at ./Evf/EvfState.c:401, task ?
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_SETPARAM_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) ) at ./Evf/EvfState.c:358, task ?
lv:0 mode:0

The last thing I remember doing is trying to activate the Magic Zoom. I had problems activating it with the zoom (+) button and tried some other options.

fever003

Hi,

I can confirm mine does not work after following the steps.

Possible reason is mine is the old 70D, bought in December 2013 with serial number of 048#########.

The camera says Firmware update program, loading... and immediately reboots with Sensor Cleaning and nothing happens. No activity on the red LED too.

Will wait for an update :)

Thanks alot nikfreak for your effort

snakec

Overlays
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-MagicZoom:NOT OK
-Cropmarks: OK
-Ghost Image:
-Spotmeter:
-False Color: ____OK
-Histogram: ____OK
-Waveform: ____OK
-Vectorscope:
Movie
-BitRate: ____OK
-REC Key: ____OK
-Gradual Exposure:
-FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0
-HDR Video:
-Vignetting: ____OK
-Image Finetuning: ____OK
-Movie Tweaks: ____OK
Shoot
-Intervalometer: ____NOT OK.
-Motion Detect: OK
-Shoot Preferences: ____
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: ____OK
- ettr: ____
- autoexpo: ____OK

snakec

RAW MAX 16/9 : 1280/720

Where is " Expo " and " Audio" ?

FotoGraphr

Fantastic!
Working here on a new serial number 144xxx

No Dual ISO (or I can't find it) and can also confirm intervalometer not working.

Just quickly installed it, so will do a i depth test Asap and post detailed results and findings.

Amazing work, very excited for the first bug fix release!

pa0los

I'm working with Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. Some more feedback on what's not working correctly:
1. Focal length isn't correct (it shows 53 @17mm, 71 @50mm)
2. Aperture value isn't updated (stays @ 2.8)
3. Underexposure zebras sometimes stay on the edge of screen (even when there is a light area beneath)
4. Neither of the Magic Zoom focus confirm functions work (tested with Magic Zoom always on, because can't be activated by key)
Also I bought today Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card and still can't get a constant 720p RAW recording. It stops after ~50sec.
Tried running the card R/W speed benchmark and it gave me:
Write:42.3MB/s @ 16MB buffer
Read:43.7MB/s
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

About recording time: Format card with ExFAT filesystem and try again. You have to make card bootable  again (EOScard/Macboot). Copy extracted nightly contents to card, startup cam and report results.
HTH.

beloks

Purchased in December 2013, the version with Wi-Fi, serial number 04212100XXXX
ML does not get in the photo mode, video mode immediately falls in Err-80
sadness..

Walter Schulz

3: Check fileman with files > 4 GByte, please. Requires ExFAT, of course.

pa0los

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 16, 2015, 04:37:32 PM
Format card with ExFAT filesystem and try again.
Tried that, I don't think there's any difference. Still max I got is ~50sec (2GB raw file).
Maybe there's a specific "allocation unit size" setting I should use? I tried 1024kB
I experimented with the default settings and with the minimal settings (almost everything turned off on the overlay page).
Ofcourse i have the "allow dropped frames" option off.
Hopeless...

Walter Schulz

Take a test with RAW, too. MLV seems to have some overhead and it looks like we're dancing on the edge with 720p. Just took a short test with my 650D. MLV breaks between 1 and 2 minutes, RAW runs until free space is gone.

pa0los

RAW is the only option we've got so far (and that's what I've tested).
nikfreak said that MLV is not working yet.

ShootMeAlready

The answer from Canon on 70D firmware versions.

1. No public firmware downloads available from Canon for the 70D.

2. Firmware differ by region, so yes there is multiple firmware release(s), not sure how many. 
"Different "base/factory" firmwares do not necessarily denote there is a bug fix or an enhancement, but rather can related to cameras sold in different countries"
They did not state unequivocally state that no bug fixes have gone in these versions, such weasel wording suggests yes some fixes went in or the person who replied has no certain knowledge.

3. There is another version of the 70D not sold in N.America that does not have wifi, it has a different firmware.

So the first question, should be what region did you buy from.  Perhaps the fir is crapping out based on regional differences.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

ARsiega

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on January 16, 2015, 06:06:36 PM
snip
So the first question, should be what region did you buy from.  Perhaps the fir is crapping out based on regional differences.
Hmm, curios! That's what also came to mind when reading the post below.

Quote from: fever003 on January 16, 2015, 01:41:35 PM
Hi,
I can confirm mine does not work after following the steps.
Possible reason is mine is the old 70D, bought in December 2013 with serial number of 048#########.
The camera says Firmware update program, loading... and immediately reboots with Sensor Cleaning and nothing happens. No activity on the red LED too.
Will wait for an update :)
Thanks alot nikfreak for your effort
Mine exactly does that; also bought last Dec. 2013, also w/ firmware starting 048. We're almost the same, are you somewhere in Asia, Southeast perhaps?

bigorna

Thinking about what SMAlready just wrote, I realized that WiFi have different regulations in different countries (number of channels, for example), and that can be a possible reason for different versions.

pierre2fun

068xxxx does not work too
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

nikfreak

I better quote myself from first post:
QuoteI can't support two revisions at the same time but take a look at the source. Everything is well documented. Once this build got somewhat stable it's about days to support all revisions.

We got everything needed to support all 70D-Wifi models. So why worry about fw revisions? You only have to accept that I won't support all revisions in this early stage of porting. Once we are somewhat stable all 70D's will get ML. It's a matter of sitting some hours in a row in front off my computer to get it done. Really, take a look at the source, especiall the stubs and consts, then you will get it...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Guitarshredder1

I took a look at some of the source, and noticed the problem @SML123 is showing with the raw file registration. That's just from borrowing the source code, all the aperture and ISO data is screwed up. I'm trying to learn and write/correct at the same time.

janoschsimon

no love yet for my 70D :-) serial 033021.....

anyway keep up the great work guys :-)

Guitarshredder1

Quote from: draco on January 16, 2015, 04:39:56 AM

I did Java and C programming 15 years ago so might try to learn more and help out. Maybe some of us can make a new thread and start work on the port for earlier firmware as Nitfreak and others are going to be busy enough.

Mine did the same thing, I tried it a second time, half pressed the shutter button, and it worked. Maybe try this?