Author Topic: Canon 700D / T5i  (Read 503774 times)

Walter Schulz

Re: Canon 700D / T5i
« Reply #1025 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
Backup card's autoexec.bin and copy "portable display test" autoexec.bin to card.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0

- Remove battery
- Insert card and close compartment
- Insert battery and close compartment

Does LCD show some info? If not: Remove battery, remove card and report back.

jeefo254

• New to the forum
« Reply #1026 on: May 13, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
No the test didn't work. The display didn't show anything. Worth to mention that this morning after leaving it all night without the battery or the card in it after I inserted the battery and turned it on the display turned on but it didn't show anything on it and the Live View button did move the mirror when I pressed it but the display didn't change . Whilst it was still on, I inserted the card and it went back to the previous behavior. 

Walter Schulz

« Reply #1027 on: May 14, 2017, 02:12:06 AM »
Just to make sure:
- LCD is not working at all. Not even for a short term.
- The card is prepared for ML and cam's bootflag is set. You can test it by renaming autoexec.bin. If the card is prepared for ML, bootflag is set and autoexec.bin missing cam will get stuck at startup. You will not be able to shot.

Please confirm.

What happens if you connect a monitor via HDMI?

jeefo254

• New to the forum
« Reply #1028 on: May 14, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »
Right now the LCD is not working at all. Not even the back light is powering on. The card is prepared for ML. Right now it's got the settings from when it worked, I've tried without ML on the card, I've tried EOScard, I've tried with the software update on the card and nothing, it will not power on. The LED light flashes whenever I insert the card and the shutter does work 6 times before showing busy message in the viewfinder but the photos won't appear on the card. And sometimes when on Auto mode the flash will fire, and on other modes the flash trigger works and the flash fires on half button press. Something that bothers me is that the shutter will not work if I had the card and the battery in the camera before I've turned it on. It works only if the card was in the camera and I removed and reinserted the battery or if the card wasn't in the camera and while I leave it on I put the card in it will still work a bunch of times before, again, showing the busy message.

I went I bought an mini HDMI adapter to try and see if anything happens and still nothing. I'm pretty stuck basically.. <br /><br /><br />best online image hosting<br />

Walter Schulz

« Reply #1029 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
You are telling me LCD is not working at all. And you are telling me about a busy message.

Is the LCD working (=showing some kind of information) sometimes (=under certain circumstances) or not?

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #1030 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
If the shutter makes noise with the portable display test on the card, that means the card is not bootable (in other words, the test was not loaded). After loading*) and displaying the test screen, it should lock up, forcing you to take the battery out in order to get any more signs of life (such as LED blinks) outside the viewfinder.

*) at this step, a short LED blink may or may not be visible, depending on camera model; would be nice if another 700D owner could check.

The viewfinder is controlled by another processor, and whatever it does during the display test (no signs at all, busy, or whatever) is model-dependent, not controllable by ML, and thus not relevant for the test.

You can also try this (just curious why the pictures are not saved to the card): http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/12/

(it would blink the LED for the first 30 seconds, then save a log file that contains all the debug messages from Canon)

jeefo254

• New to the forum
« Reply #1031 on: May 17, 2017, 03:42:16 PM »
I've managed to get the portable display test to work. It lights up the lcd backlight even with the power switch set to off, and that's it. No info on the display, just the light and a stuck pixel  :)

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #1032 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
That means, it's very likely a hardware issue. Not much to do at this point - just for curiosity, you can now run the startup logger as well, but I don't think it will be of any help.

jeefo254

• New to the forum
« Reply #1033 on: May 17, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
Ok, thanks very much for all the help guys. I've just contacted a repair service here in my town. I thought maybe I could fix it on my own. Anyway, thanks again!

ps the starup logger doesn't work.. bummer