My experience shooting with ML for 2 days

Started by ultimatemale, December 29, 2014, 05:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultimatemale

So i filmed a 2 day music video on the 5d3 using ML RAW (NOT MLV)and not one corrupt file

Equipments-
Canon 5D3
Canon 24mm 1.4
Canon 24-70mm 2.8
Canon 100mm macro
Canon 85mm 1.2
Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS
Two Kumputerbay 1000x cards and one lexar 1066x (lexar card was really good expecially with slow-mo)
Mashall monitor
Phantom 2 drone with GoPro 4 black
Build was one of the August one's (can't remember now)
Canon firmware is 1.2.3

I had no problem with continuous recording even with my Mashall monitor connected via hdmi
About 600gb of footages and not one corrupt file (made sure to format with computer to exFAT). Had corrupt files in previous shoots bcus i fomat in camera
I shot ML RAW and not MLV as i didn't really need sound (its a music video). Also heard that MLV isn't as reliable as ML RAW
Had my new imac5K on site so dumping files from cards was really fast (less than 15min to dump a 64gb card)

Normally with my Kumputerbay cards, i tend to record between 1min to 4min when shooting slow-mo before it stops (at 1920x818 50p) but the Lexar card gave me continuous

I used RAWmagic lite to convert my files to dng
Used DaVinci Resolve 11 lite for proxy conversion and grading
Edited with Premiere cc2014

Problem
The only problem i ran into was during round tripping back to Premiere cc2014 from Resolve
I successfully send an XML to resolve (from Premiere cc2014) for grading, but when i tried sending back to Premiere cc2014 after grading, Premiere cc2014 would not accept the XML created by Resolve. FCP7 and Premiere cs6 would accept it though. So not not sure whats going on there.

I can say am really really happy with the way the shoot went. One thing i'll definitely do from now on is make sure to format my cards to exFAT with my computer and not in camera

A screen grab of one of the footages

This is a video i shot using ML RAW some months back (had some corrupt files whish i repaired later)

mohanohi

Why do you send from Resolve to Premiere after grading? For finishing?
DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens

rtf

ultimatemale

@mohanohi, I send back to Premiere after grading so i can add some of my GoPro footages, text and also apply some effects too

beanz

At the end of the day it all comes down to lighting! Good job on that.

mohanohi

So you want to use Premiere as finishing tool.. What i do is bring all the final cut from premiere to resolve via XML and do finishing in Resolve. If there any AE files, i render it out and place in resolve so that i get precise color. For DCP i render as j2k, for any other Bluray/DVD/Youtube i render it out DNXHD 220 mb and then do authoring in either premiere or AE.

ultimatemale

Quote from: mohanohi on January 01, 2015, 07:08:18 AM
So you want to use Premiere as finishing tool.. What i do is bring all the final cut from premiere to resolve via XML and do finishing in Resolve. If there any AE files, i render it out and place in resolve so that i get precise color. For DCP i render as j2k, for any other Bluray/DVD/Youtube i render it out DNXHD 220 mb and then do authoring in either premiere or AE.

I would like to do that too but am quite new to resolve and when i export xml from premiere, for some reason i can't access the sound even though i can see it on the time line

mohanohi

Render audio separately from Premiere and import it manually in resolve. It would be better if you merge everything to one Video track and delete all other audio and video tracks and export XML. I don't understand why would u import audio into resolve. Wouldn't it would be better to do only visual related stuff in resolve > Render to DNXHD then import the Video master file to After effects and import separately the audio and sync it back (off course with beginning beep and end beep sound to be in precise sync) and then prepare Digital Masters? (DCP, bluray, DVD, Youtube?)

mohanohi

I can see major of cross dissolve you have done isn't working properly. I see the last dissolve frame just popping out rather than smoothly go away. Was it intentional?

ultimatemale

I edit on an imac so i export out as ProRess422. Will try bringing audio into Resolve

mohanohi