Started by João Marco, December 19, 2014, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

João Marco

The 21st Door (2015)
Feature, 92 minutes (Canon T2i/550d)

rainless

For a T2i that's absolutely beautiful.

Couple words of advice:

1. Never explain a trailer (especially not one with English subtitles). It's the trailer's job to explain itself.
2. Here on the forums it's much more useful to explain:

a. how you shot it
b. how you colored it
c. what gear you used
d. what settings you used

Helps the community out. Hive Mind you know?
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

João Marco

Hello, Rainless...
Thanks a lot for your comment... I'm glad that you like it as you did...
That's not an explanation, only the synopsis... But if you think that is a problem, than is my problem and I will think about it... Thanks by that...
Now about this movie:
this is a two and an half years feature film... and lots of work in it... But, first of all, I must say that the camera is just an eye... the public eye... the director point of view...
That said, for shooting, essays and script apart, I used three lights, my old T2i canon camera and four photo lenses: Tokina 12-24 4.0, Canon Kit 18-55, Canon 50 1.8; and a Tamron 28-70 2.8. I've used PS cinestyle and on camera magiclantern's histogram and zebras. Light is everything... grading is just another way of seeing light.
I've exposed everything for whites, avoiding cliping it by all means. But to begin I prepared the set with the dynamic range of this little DSLR... not very bright... nor very dark... and, of course, not too dark and too bright in the frame... We must use our cameras for the best they can... not to best of red or alexa... If all our work is done thinking about secreening it, we must avoid bad light, first of all...
I've used a shoulder rig, a simple one... without focuspull, as I prefer to use my hand directly in the lens.
Sound was direct. A soundman did it... not me, of course.
For grading, premiere cs6, three way color corrector, film convert (a colored stock that I desaturated).
For editing I needed about one year... to compose music, edit sound, edit video, balance the cuts and rhythm...
As result we are now in festivals...
I'm available for all questions... :-) Thanks a lot for your feedback.
João Marco

rainless

The greatest T2i film ever made... I'm certain of that. :)

Especially impressive is that you managed to accomplish all that with THOSE lenses... including the damned KIT LENS!

That's very... VERY impressive.

So did you use MLV, RAW, or just the regular compressed MOV?

What was your workflow if you used MLV or RAW?
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

João Marco

Thank you, Lars.  :)
Hello again, rainless. I'm Very happy with it, too...
I've used only .mov h264 regular compressed files...  in a cinestyle flavour with the technicolor official settings...
For shooting, even in dark scenes, i've used iso between 100 and 800, or 160 and 640... only in one moment i've try, and assume in the movie, a 1250/1600 iso... in five or six shots... for compensate some too dark rooms, light was required...
in the timeline, no grain was cleared... all noise is in the movie... i've assume that digital distration was not enough for clearing my footage.. adding 35mm grain in the final project helped me in the consistency that i was looking for.
thanks a lot for your questions...
João Marco

egc

Quote1. Never explain a trailer (especially not one with English subtitles). It's the trailer's job to explain itself.

Well, this is one way among others to make a trailer. I think this trailer is very good.  The main goal of a trailer is to make a film interesting, and that does this one very well, at least for me. It gives an idea about the film and it presents the actors, that's actually all a trailer has to do. The rest you want to see at the cinema, ideally :-)

And it seems like the actors are also good.

João Marco

Thanks, egc
I'm glad that you like it... They are true artists... really nice acting... I must agree...
Have a great 2015!