Homeland Security - Shot in ML Raw

Started by dpjpandone, December 13, 2014, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

Hey guys, here is a trailer for a short film i worked on last summer, shot in ML Raw on 7D and 5D2

N/A

Ugghh I really need to get my Rokinon repaired, this looks great! What was your role in the making of it?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

dpjpandone

N/A

Nice, very professional looking. Awesome work on the skin tones, Osiris Luts?

Any more development news on the 7d? I'd love to see Dual Iso video enabled, in 2.5k crop mode that would pretty much seal the deal on adding another few years to our 7d video's lifespan. As I understand, the master proc is a b!+@# to code for, so maybe it's just a pipe dream.

nikki

what was your step by step post workflow and editing system...??   did you use 3x on the 5d2?

rainless

What the hell is this?

You mean to tell me that WHOLE THING was shot on the 7D and 5DMK2?

THAT'S INSANE!!!
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

dpjpandone

Quote from: nikki on December 14, 2014, 05:47:05 PM
what was your step by step post workflow and editing system...??   did you use 3x on the 5d2?

Don't really use 3X very much, the chomatic abberation is really noticeable on my Nikon AIS primes with crop mode... all the shots in the trailer were full-frame
7D was used for the majority, and 5D for a few scenes inside cars and stuff where I needed a REALLY wide FOV. I think the image quality of 7D is far superior to 5D2 because of the vertical lines on 5D2 (even with vertical stripe correction...) plus i like the Super35 sensor of 7D the best, it's much easier to pull focus, and the FOV is what I'm used to.

My workflow was:

Shoot raw 1728x724 (2.39)
Convert to DNG with MLRawViewer
Batch import into AE with the smart import 2 script (available on forum)
White balance, highlight recovery, lift shadows when necessary and noise reduction with ACR (in after effects)
Export to Prores 4:4:4 with VisionLog profile
Edit in Premiere
Grade in Premiere, some shots used Osirus LUT's, some were done manually with filmconvert or 3-way color corrector

I would like to try resolve for my next project since I finally got a GPU that is supported.

As for development on 7D, I think I've got it to a point where it's working stable with an external monitor and it does everything I need it to do for cinematography. I don't think we will see Dual Iso anytime soon, because no one ever got digital iso working (yes, because of dual processor) Unless a competent programmer (which i am not) takes an interest in 7D, I don't think it will progress much further than it is currently.

I am really happy with 7D though, I think the image holds up very well. Until majority of cinema projectors and household TV's switch over to 4K, (which is a few years off IMO) I think 7D is more than sufficient for independent films. 1728x724 scales very nicely to 2k, no one can tell the difference, honestly... and most  film festivals and theaters will continue to project in 2k for a few more years, so I think 7D is a good investment. I plan to pick up a few more so I have backups. I really feel like camera is no longer limitation for great production. I will invest my money into lighting and  grip and stay with this platform for a few more productions.

DeafEyeJedi

Interesting... Thanks for sharing @dpjpandone!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

N/A

Very true, ML and especially ML on the 7d has come a whole hell of a lot farther than any of us could have ever imagined, and quite possibly revolutionized the film industry in the process.

So yeah, I'm satisfied.  :)

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109