NEW Black line on 5D Mark III RAW videos

Started by Sauros, December 10, 2014, 01:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauros

Hello guys!
I've been shooting RAW for almost a year, but this is the first time I've seen this problem:

If someone is wondering, video is stretched because it is a 50fps slow-mo video and it is squeezed to get a needed data rate for 2:35 video. Then stretch in post.

So, yeah, someone seen this problem before? It only shows on one frame of the video.

Thank you!

DeafEyeJedi

Haven't seen this before and I hope you get it resolved somehow cuz that shot looks hella great w the lighting and slow-mo...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kharak

is this black line through out the shot? or just one frame?

I've seen it before in a shot, but it was only one frame and to be honest the project had been rendered and complete before I noticed it and had to go back to DNG's to check. And in my case it was almost not noticicable so I didn't care, kinda gave the shot a feel somehow.

But I can see in your lighting case, this is not ideal.

if its only one frame, skip it. No one will notice

I recorded MLV.
once you go raw you never go back

sergiocamara93

Never seen it in all my time with RAW/MLV. If it's only one frame, I think you can easily get away with it if you "repair" the frame by masking the black bar with something like the Wire Remover Tool in After Effects. Good luck, looks amazing!
5D Mark III

Sauros

Thank you for replies and compliments, guys!
Here is the teaser for the music video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSrwP44DZo

When I take out one frame from the video, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't .. for example in this slow-motion shot it worked, because there were so many frames, but in the real time shot it's not working and you can see the skip in frames. Of course some people may put it on their computers, or their internet connection, or even don't see it, but now shooting important work with 5DIII RAW gets even more risky ..

DeafEyeJedi

Definitely worth the risk though and teaser looks nice!

Sauros

Hello, guys.
Shot another project and the same thing is going on .. I'm clueless ... please help! :((

And by the way, here is the full music video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08HpyH2wwYk

DeafEyeJedi

Not sure what else to think other than a defective Card that you may be using?

Do the blackline show with different cards or just one of the cards?

Just a thought!

Walter Schulz

You may use H2testw 1.4 to look for card issues.

Sauros

I haven't pinpointed particular card, but I will try to do that. Guess I will record bunch of raw videos on all of them and then see.
I reinstalled ML, but the issue was there again on a different shoot.
Thank you, Walter, I will check out the H2testw!

Sauros

H2testw returned without any errors. The cards are ok, as far as the program says.

dmilligan

What Canon firmware, 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?

There are reports of 1.2.3 having more issues with high fps raw recording. (AFAIK, it's because 1.2.3 can show video on lcd and external hdmi at the same time, which appears to use more system resources and gives some troubles when recording raw video at high fps)

DeafEyeJedi

Makes perfect sense regarding high fps between 1.1.3 vs. 1.2.3!

Sauros

Firmware is 1.2.3.
Hm .. I need the 1.2.3 because of the clean HDMI, because I record backup on Ninja Blade. But maybe if I turn off display, when external monitor is attached, it can save resources and record without that weird line. Is it possible on 1.2.3 to get clean HDMI with camera screen off?

But the black line happens with 24fps recordings too! Not just 50fps.

rawvideo

I am on 123 and get a lot of bad frames as soon as I exceed the frame rate of 35 in 25 frames mode, resolution doesn't seem to matter. But all below 35 is clear so far. For 50 frames mode my limit is 60.