Struggling to get my MLV converted into RAW - Mac

Started by Timr, December 08, 2014, 03:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timr

Alright guys, this isn't normally how I would start off on my first post on the boards, how ever I have 128gb of footage I need converted into RAW from MLV with in the next twelve hours. I have been going at this for several hours, between trying to make it work and research.

I downloaded (and paid $30  :-\) for RAW magic to try and find a different solution. It will not even open with out unexpectedly closing. Restarted my computer, shut down my computer, and re-installed. Still nothing.

I am totally new to ML and am having a horrible time getting these MLV's converted.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am shooting with a 5D III. Macbook Pro 10.6.8. Please let me know what other information I could provide to help and if any of you can provide some help it would be beyond greatly appreciated. I had about another 14 lines, how ever I accidentally closed it.

My mlv_rec file is saved under /Users/timrebe/Downloads/ml_rec/ (Listed inside is 5D3_113.sym, autoexec.bin.cpgz(zipped), mlv_dump.linux, mlv_dump.osx, mlv_play.mo, smpte.mo, trace.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo)

I also tried putting together a file on my desktop containing the video and also the mlv_dump.

This is displayed when opened in the terminal.

Last login: Sun Dec  7 20:53:31 on ttys000
/Users/timrebe/Desktop/C63AMG507/mlv_dump ; exit;
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Desktop/C63AMG507/mlv_dump ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Process completed]

The best I could come up with as far as commands in the terminal. This maybe something silly that I am just over looking, how ever I am new to using terminals to convert footage. (I had about 12 more, how ever I accidentally hit the red x on the box and it closed)

Last login: Sun Dec  7 20:52:43
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Downloads/M04-1539.MLV -o videoone.RAW -r mlv_rec
-bash: /Users/timrebe/Downloads/M04-1539.MLV: cannot execute binary file
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_rec -o videone.RAW -r M04-1539.MLV
-bash: /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_rec: is a directory
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_dump.osx -o videone.RAW -r M04-1539.MLV
-bash: /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_dump.osx: No such file or directory
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Desktop/C63AMG507 -o videone.RAW -r M04-1539
-bash: /Users/timrebe/Desktop/C63AMG507: is a directory
macbook-pro:~ timrebe$ /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_rec/auotexec.bin.cpgz -o videone.RAW -r M04-1539
-bash: /Users/timrebe/Downloads/mlv_rec/auotexec.bin.cpgz: No such file or directory

Kind Regards,

Tim

DeafEyeJedi

Not sure why RAWmagic won't work for you but as far as I'm concerned the ML community does NOT support using RAWmagic software regardless of how nice it may seem. I own one as well but there are other options...

Do you want to convert them into DNG's... Try using RAW2DNG -- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/?topic=5404.0

If you want to convert them into ProRes 4444 then try using MLRawViewer which can also convert to DNG's as well -- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

Might also want to check out MLVmystic as well -- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10466.0

Found these links within seconds through Google...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dhpdigital

Hi. I'm also new to ML and have installed the latest nightly build onto mr Canon 5D MK3 and all loads fine. If I shoot a RAW test on the card I get a .MLV file but I was expecting to see a .raw file which I can convert. Have I missed something here?

Thanks in advance,

D.

Walter Schulz

Yes: If you load MLV_REC and activate MLV recording you get MLV files.

dhpdigital

You're a star! Thanks. I'll give it a crack now.  :D

Really appreciate your reply

dhpdigital

So, what can we convert the .mlv file to .dng with?

Walter Schulz

Home|Help|Search|Profile|My Messages|Members|Logout

dmilligan

Quote from: dhpdigital on December 12, 2014, 03:55:27 PM
So, what can we convert the .mlv file to .dng with?
Did you not read the post right above your first post in this thread?

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 08, 2014, 05:58:11 AM
... try using MLRawViewer which can also convert to DNG's as well-- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

dhpdigital

Thank you! Apologies, yes I did miss that link. My internet connection at the studio is very flakey and sometimes pages just don't load so they get closed. This is exactly what I'm after.

Thanks again to the community who join in and help others to learn. Also to the developers who make this possible for us to use on our beloved cameras to unlock more of their potential. RAW is the only true way to get the image quality I want to work with. I just need to find a practical workflow to add it to my pipeline now!

Cheers. D