Strange MLV issue on 5D-III

Started by ds.trias, December 04, 2014, 04:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds.trias

Hi guys,

Been testing the new MLV format and workflow on 5D-III 1.1.3. Am using the Feb-24 build, Lexar 64gb CF cards.

I use MLRAWVIEWEL 1.3.3 to view and convert my mlv files to .dngs. While shooting my videos, I notice that always the last file to be saved on the card (until it gets full) causes issues, and cannot be opened via MlRawViewer.
Also, the last video seems to generate many associated files (for instance M01-0547.M00, M01-0547.M01, M01-0547.M02.. and so forth, till .M08). It doesn't have .MRX file like the other MLVs on the card, and its associated WAV only weighs 1KB...

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Daniel

mothaibaphoto

1. Raw video (MLV) -> Reserve card space, or never shoot till card is full.
2. MLV_Dump extract DNGs from such "last shot" correctly. It's usefulness limited due to skipped frames anyway.

ds.trias

Thanks for the reply Moth,

If I understood you correctly, I have a chance  of recovering the last video through mlv_dump?
Well, I've tried downloading it and using it but am not 100% I am doing things right... do I drag and drop the mlv file to the mlv_dump exe? I'm not even sure where do I put all those console/written commands^
If you know any tutorial for it-I'd really appreciate it

ds.trias

Thanks a lot! This got me started.

I'm trying to convert the last MLV to RAW (in order to process it further through rawanizer), I typed this into the command line:
/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/mlv_dump.exe -r -o 0547.raw /cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV

It then writes:

MLV Dumper v1.0
-----------------
Mode of operation:
   - Input MLV file: '/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV'
   - Convert to legacy RAW
   - Output into '0547.raw'
[ERROR] Failed to open file '/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV'

Is there any reason for this? I'm quite sure I put in the right file name and address, is there something wrong with my syntax?

mothaibaphoto

If you want to get DNGs, you should use  --dng parameter, i.e ...mlv_dump.exe --dng /cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV
Message probably mean you type file path incorrectly. Or try quotes, ie
/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/mlv_dump.exe --dng "/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV"

ds.trias

Aggh, I typed just that and got-
MLV Dumper v1.0
-----------------

Mode of operation:
   - Input MLV file: '/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV'
   - Convert to DNG frames
   - Output into '/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547_frame_'
[ERROR] Failed to open file '/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV'

Its like the program can't seem to find this file, or any of the mlv files in this folder.. its strange-- I put all of the MLVs together in the same directory of the mlv_dump.

ds.trias

And I don't reckon its an error in the file's address.. I dragged and dropped the MLV file into the command line, and it filled its address for me:
/cygdrive/g/NAKED/card1/M01-0547.MLV

mothaibaphoto

You're on windows and cygdrive - network disk? Than
\\cygdrive\g\NAKED\card1\mlv_dump.exe --dng "\\cygdrive\g\NAKED\card1\M01-0547.MLV"
Maybe your disk read only?

mothaibaphoto

I dragged and dropped the MLV file from network disk into the command line and it filled its address for me:
\\VOLDMONSTER\Downloads\256752731.mlv