Sekonic DTS Profiles for Canon 5D3 with ML raw?

Started by QuickHitRecord, November 24, 2014, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickHitRecord

5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

QuickHitRecord

I saw those but they are for H264 video, so they won't accurately represent the dynamic range of a raw camera.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

russellsnr

Hi, every camera is different! Even the same make of camera (2 X Canon MK III) will not work with the same profile, yes it will be close but not on the button.
I have not heard of profiles for specifically ML, do they exist? and what would be different to the Sekonic profile for a specific camera/meter combination?.
Thanks
Russ

QuickHitRecord

@russellsnr

I don't know if any profiles exist. I figured that if anyone had cooked one up, this would be a good place to look.

Sekonic meters are able to "map" the dynamic range of your camera. In the case of my L-478D, I will literally have a color-coded range highlighted on the bottom of the display, along with markings of readings that I have taken in a given scene.

QuickHitRecord

Now that I have the Exposure Target II, I can make my own. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to transfer these from meter to meter. But here's what the dynamic range looks like when mapped out:
The purple line is BMDFilm4K, the purple line is Cinelog, and the yellow line is plain old H264.

I'm exposing according to the default profile on my Sekonic L-478. I haven't figured out how to program an offset yet.