My gig videos

Started by thedecibelkid, November 24, 2014, 12:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedecibelkid

I've started filming musicians and poets and the like (with permission, etc.) and Magic Lantern has been a godsend, especially the focus preview window when you're stumbling about in semi-darkness with the aperture wide open!

Tech is a Canon 600D, 32GB SD card, spare batteries. Audio is usually from a Zoom H4n.

The Dyr Sister - The Girl With A Cloud About Her Head - live at the John Peel Centre, Stowmarket
This is my first ever, and despite having to brutally Deshake it it's still not too bad.

Honey & The Bear - The Wrong Side Of Me - unplugged late night session for the Soapbox Stage at Folk East
This was recorded with pretty much one lightbulb as the light source, 50mm lens and ML's manual controls really helped. The crop factor on the lens means it looks like I'm stood a lot closer than I really am. Lots of manual focus fiddling

This is a compilation from that festival stage, there'll be more full-length videos of some of the clips in here over the next few weeks. The final "shed" is from an actual "camcorder" and was well interlaced!

I also took some at the weekend including using a new 28mm auto-chinon lens, similar low-light performance as the Canon 50mm but a wider field of view (despite still being a 36mm lens cropped down to the ~24mm sensor)

thedecibelkid

Latest one: The infamous Attila The Stockbroker :

(Canon 600D + EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens)

micster

You say the focus preview has been a godsend, but the videos seem to lose focus very easily because of you keeping the lens wide open. Stop it back a couple and boost the ISO - people prefer a bit of grain to an out of focus shot.

In your latest you have the same focus issues, but also very weird framing. I'm not sure why you've put those black bars on the shot, it just cramps up the frame and squishes the guys head in the left corner.

thedecibelkid

I like the depth of field, makes it arty  :) Love that Attilla leans into focus while finishing the first line, for example and framed him like that on purpose, the audience is to the right of frame and he's sticking his arms into that space.

And they're not black bars, that's my chosen final aspect ratio 2.39:1 :)

micster

I love depth of field too, but there's a time and a place for it. Also I understand it's your chosen ratio but, again, time and place; it's off putting to look at because of the overall framing. If you're happy with it then cool.

thedecibelkid

Latest one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3XywRyJRaE

no messing with Depth of field in this one, but the super-low light ability of the 50mm EF II lens again. Some bleed/fringing in places but that just shows that it's right at the limit!

thedecibelkid

Latest - Jonathan Marriot "Lorna's Song" live at John Peel Centre last Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ar1g9JMZo

Aperture down to f1/4.9 and ISO up to 1600. HAPPY NOW!? :D