Pseudo-anamorphic video?

Started by Lensumn, November 22, 2014, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lensumn

Hi,

I am not a tech guy, so this might be a total balderdash, but I had an idea that might be quite awesome if it works.

Lets look at Canon 5Dmk2 for example. It has a sensor of 5,616 × 3,744 resolution. Basically that means that if we shoot 1080p, it samples every third horizontal line and every fourth vertical line.

I had an idea. What if while recording video, we still sample every third horizontal line, but instead of every forth vertical line, we sample every second line.

This will produce a vertically stretched video that has 1920 x 2016 resolution, and when we squash it in After Effects, it shall have very nice look.

I think that this might require some very kickass camera like 5Dmk2 or 5Dmk3 to work. It aint quite 4K (which anyway seem impossible) but still might give older hardware some extended life.

P.S. Sorry for my English

dmilligan

It samples every 3rd line both horizontally and vertically. Have a look at the bayer filter and it should be clear why, and why its impossible to skip every 2 or every 4 (unless you don't need either red or blue color information).

The h264 encoder is going to have its own limitations in addition, that would also prevent something like this.