5d3 Raw Music Video 48fps slow motion "Set me free"

Started by jakebrusha, November 19, 2014, 07:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakebrusha

We recently released this music video shot in 5d3 raw for artist Griffin Peterson.

Directed by: Jake Brusha, Marc Mellens
Concept by: Marc Mellens, Jake Brusha
DP: Jake Brusha
Music by: Griffin Peterson
Color by: Paul Galati, Company 3 Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9ohCJNYOw

** Update: I learned how to embed the video in the blog post. I'm no longer an idiot. **

***Update: I uploaded a vimeo version with much higher bit rate.***

rainless

Excellent cinematography.

I'm really blown away by the images coming out of the 5D3. In terms of quality it might not technically be as powerful as a GH4 or A7S... but in terms of actually finished videos... there's really no contest.

...at least not yet.

Can you tell me a bit about the lenses and grading you used?
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

pacman829

Great work , Curious about what you used to light the couch scene
5mkII User

jakebrusha

Quote from: rainless on November 19, 2014, 10:53:30 PM
Excellent cinematography.

I'm really blown away by the images coming out of the 5D3. In terms of quality it might not technically be as powerful as a GH4 or A7S... but in terms of actually finished videos... there's really no contest.

...at least not yet.

Can you tell me a bit about the lenses and grading you used?

Hi Rainless,

thank you for the kind words. It was a fun project.

I think that the 5d3 raw feature being much higher bit depth is more powerful than the GH4 (10bit with optional external recorder) and A7s (8bit). It's much more workflow but for filmic images and with intent to color 5d3 raw is definitely stronger suited.

For lenes, we only used 2. Canon 50mm 1.2 and a few shots were on the Canon 24-70 2.8. I thought it would be fun to limit myself and have to be more creative with shots.

And for grading, we went to a professional color correcting house. We didn't use the raw files but instead used 12bit Prores 4444 files to grade in divinci resolve.

Let me know if you've got any more questions and thanks for taking the time to check the video out!

:)

jakebrusha

Quote from: pacman829 on November 20, 2014, 05:44:12 AM
Great work , Curious about what you used to light the couch scene

Hi pacman829,

Thanks for watching!

For this whole video we only used available lighting and a bounce. We were fortunate with perfect weather.

sylvain_c

Incredible quality!I try to do the same with my footages.....with no success.

There is no way for you tu have more explanations from the expert colorist about what he done with your footages?
You give him a Visionlog version??
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

jakebrusha

Quote from: sylvain_c on November 20, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
Incredible quality!I try to do the same with my footages.....with no success.

There is no way for you tu have more explanations from the expert colorist about what he done with your footages?
You give him a Visionlog version??

Hi Sylvain_c,

I can try to explain as best what I did to prep everything for the colorist. But the colorist was a professional and his work far exceed my color correction ability to help make our video really look stunning.

To start, I converted everything with RawMagic Lite to DNG files. Then I imported those DNG files to Davinci Resolve to create the ProRes 4444 video files. I wanted to make the coloring process as easy as possible so I figured ProRes 4444 (12 bit) files would be more than sufficient. Once in Davinci, I only stretched the Raw files from 1920x506 to 1920x818 (since I shot it all at 48fps), and flattened everything to a BlackMagic super flat profile setting.

I did all my editing in Premiere Pro and when I was done I exported one final ProRes 4444 file for color correction. Normally that's not how it would be done, but for timing's sake we wanted to make it as simple as possible. I have had problems before linking and relinking files from Premiere to Davinci, so this was the easiest/safest bet.

The colorist then brought the master file into his Davinci studio and he used many layers and nodes to effect individual colors in the video and make certain colors pop, and certain colors drop. He added sharpening, contrast, slight grain and many other minor adjustments to each shot to help bring the whole piece more cohesively together.

I wish I could give you more in depth explanation but I'm really not that versed in Davinci myself. That's why we paid for the professional service. But I hope this helps a little bit.

derpface

Nice Work! Looks like you got some beautiful images. How big was your crew for this project and how many days did it take you to shoot? I am thinking of embarking on a similar project soon, and I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect since it's my first music video.

Thanks!

johnwangphoto

Very nice video and I love it a lot! I have one simple question: you mentioned you used RawMagic Lite to convert the raw footage to dng. But as I shoot MLV the RawMagic Lite does not work with the MLV file. Have you used MIRawViewer to make the conversion?

Thanks a lot!

John

jakebrusha

Quote from: johnwangphoto on November 24, 2014, 05:30:18 AM
Very nice video and I love it a lot! I have one simple question: you mentioned you used RawMagic Lite to convert the raw footage to dng. But as I shoot MLV the RawMagic Lite does not work with the MLV file. Have you used MIRawViewer to make the conversion?

Hey John,

I do use MLRawViewer but I only use it to preview the footage before converting it with RawMagic Lite. I don't shoot MLV Raw because I like to leave a lot of additional features on while shooting. I can't do that with MLV raw.

I've also found that MLRawViewer doesn't work as well with the raw 1.0 files versus MLV 2.0. I also prefer the debayering that RawMagic Lite does with vertical stripes correction.

Hope that helps!

Jake

sylvain_c

5D MKIII 1.1.3

jakebrusha

Quote from: derpface on November 24, 2014, 02:08:49 AM
Nice Work! Looks like you got some beautiful images. How big was your crew for this project and how many days did it take you to shoot? I am thinking of embarking on a similar project soon, and I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect since it's my first music video.

Thanks!

Hey derpface,

Thanks for the kind words! Our crew was really small, actually. It was the co-director and me and the artist. We hauled the doors and gear out into the wilderness ourselves. Haha. We shot this project over 3 days, but I'm sure had we had a crew of a few more people we would've been able to do it in 2 days.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jake

jeffreysbrother

Three questions for you:
1) I believe you mentioned that you stretched the footage in Resolve. Is there an easy way to do this to multiple clips at once?
2) do you recall the shutter speed you used for the footage captured in 48 fps?
3) When I'm shooting in 1920x818, the crop marks disappear when I press record (I'm also using a 5dmkiii). Does this happen to you? if so, do you find it hard to deal with?

Thank you!!

phantomwolffilms

Hey Jake,

Great stuff. This video actually got me to finally pull the trigger on installing MLRAW. Quick question, what shutter speed did you use to shoot this footage?

_OLLE_

2017 still one of the best music videos I have seen!