Autumn Colors at Arboretum - 5D Mark III RAW

Started by ozcancelik, November 18, 2014, 10:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozcancelik

All shot taken handheld.

- 5D Mark III
- Tamron 24-70 f2.8
- 1920x508 50fps (stretched to 1920x816)
- MlRawViewer 1.4.1

andresharambour

Great autumn colors!

May I ask about your editing process? I'm interested in how you stretched the clips in post. I tried it before but I seemed to have lost a considerable amount of sharpness compared to the regular shots at 24fps.

Thanks!

ozcancelik

Thank you Andres.
Stretching is so simple. I mostly use After Effects.

- Import to 1920x508 footage to AE library.
- Create a new composition (1920x816)
- Drag your 1920x508 footage to composition
- Right click to footage and select Transform > Fit to comp

Thats it. In Raw module there is streching information. So you know what final sizes will be in post. When you use streching you will lose some pixels but i think it's not considerable.

andresharambour

Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, you lose some pixels, that bothers me a bit, but it's just because I'm really picky... Quality looks great in your video!

jose_ugs

@andresharambour have you compared 24p and slo-mo frames side by side, same content, lighting, etc. etc?
I am thinking about doing this... because i have experience loss in detail as well, when it comes to slo-mo material

andresharambour

Quote from: jose_ugs on November 19, 2014, 10:18:51 PM
@andresharambour have you compared 24p and slo-mo frames side by side, same content, lighting, etc. etc?
I am thinking about doing this... because i have experience loss in detail as well, when it comes to slo-mo material

No, I haven't, but I will as soon as I can. Some detail is obviously gone when stretching, but it would be nice to make a side by side comparison. I'll post it when I get the chance to make it.

andresharambour

Hey guys, I just made a quick comparison. I did it in like five minutes, so the editing is not the best, but I think you can notice a bit of a difference when you watch in full screen.

I didn't put any text in it, but the clip on the right is the regular 24fps, and the left one is the stretched one. Let me know what you think.

ozcancelik

Thank you Andres.

I think there is no "big" difference.(Maybe it's about compression) Can you post both original RAW single frame? (PNG is the best.)

And also you should open new discussion about that. :)

johnwangphoto

Thanks for the comparison and I don't see the big difference as the viewer is too small. Also curious how do you make the  video with the line sliding through the picture? Did you shoot two clips simultaneously? Thanks!

andresharambour

No, I don't think it's the compression. The difference is not big at all. I don't know if I can explain it, but mainly, when you're sharpening both clips, the regular 24fps one gets to that point where you look at it at 100% and love it, that exact sharpening sweet spot (I guess you can call it that) that you gotta love. But with the other clip is like you get to that point you did when shooting a good h264 clip, it's sharp, but you're not blown away by it.

I think it's only logical that you don't get the clip as sharpened as the other, as you are actually stretching the image 60%.

I wouldn't shoot an entire video in this settings, maybe just a few specific parts where you'd want some slowmo.

I'll get a comparison with both stills and make a new thread so we mess this one anymore.

Sorry ozcancelik!

jose_ugs

Sorry ozcancelik... Didn't mean to steal your thread like that :)

ozcancelik

I never never thought like "do not post here". We are not only use ML. So this sharpness comparison needed to seperate topic because there was no comparison like that in forum. It's very useful for most ML users.