Syncing .MLV Converted Sequence and Audio

Started by aidanmair, November 06, 2014, 02:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidanmair

Hey All,

I have the 1.2.3 Nightly firmware on my 5D3 and have has some issues with correctly syncing audio. I am shooting 1080p at 24fps, I convert the .mlv file to dng + .wav files, process the .dng's in Lightroom exporting them as .jpeg's, then import them as a sequence into Premiere.

When lining the .wav file up with the sequence it always seems to run a little bit longer than the video footage and I can't work out why.

I hope I'm not asking too stupid of a question, but does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks

dmilligan

MLVFS automatically trims the audio file to match the sequence length. It also produces CDNGs that you can import directly into Premiere CC.

chmee

background: the recorded audiopart is longer than the videopart, something about ~5-8 frames. so, this is a usual glitch with mlv.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Kharak

I am getting more and more frustrated with MLV audio..

My experience is that MLV Audio is out of sync atleast 10 frames and most of the times more than a second.. Does not have to be a long take for it to be a second too long. Most of the times I see that Audio doesn't start recording until a second after the Video started.. Sometimes audio only records for 2 seconds and stops and I don't see any standard % deviance that can easily be fixed, it's always by hand for each clip.

Yes the quality is shit of the internal audio recorder even with a mic.. But having a separate recorder to sync with clap doesn't work in the real world when not on a set.

I really hope this MLV sync problem could be fixed, everytime I press record with MLV audio on, I feel this "uughh" feeling of all the extra sync work I will have to do.
once you go raw you never go back

dmilligan

I've never had any such issues. Perhaps you should specify what build and camera you are using, and file a proper bug report.

Kharak

This is across several builds, I try to stay up to date always. MK III 1.1.3

Maybe it works fine on 1.2.3 ?

g3gg0

it would help if you could:
- name your camera model
- tell us which resolution you use
- which frame rate
- etc
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Kharak

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

5D MK III 1.1.3

Lexar 128 GB 1000x
Lexar 182 GB 1066x

fps: 23.976

1920x1080 or 1920x872

48.000khz

The build that has frustrated me the most regarding sound has been from August or so. I didn't start working on the post production until late September cause I had no computer. The sound problems were so bad that I decided to do the project without real-sound. It was not necessary for sound to be there, but it was something that I wished for.

But I have recorded with older and newer builds too and to me it has seemed like a consistent issue, that the sound is horribly out of sync and never by a standard margin of 5% or 7-8 frames as I've read.

I could have reported this issue earlier I am sure, but I am on 1.1.3 and it doesn't seem to me that his firmware version is "cared" for as much and I completely understand that. Ofcourse Magic Lantern should focus on the newest firmware and get that up to its maximum potential. I've chosen to stay on 1.1.3 until I don't hear any more rumors about increased recording times on 1.1.3 when recording slow motion and so on. I hope you can understand this. 80% of my shots are done onboard ships and most of the time in crazy weather, every second counts in these conditions.

I must say that I find it weird if its only me struggling with these synchronization issues. But perhaps there are not that many left on 1.1.3 or I am doing something very wrong.

Thank you for your interest.

g3gg0

with out of sync, what do you mean?
(from your post above you say that audio starts "only" with an offset of a second)

the audio track is LONGER than the video track - are you sure you didnt compress the audio to the length of the video track?

do you have an example?
e.g. a clap that closes and makes noise
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Kharak

When I mean out of sync, I mean the audio is offset from video by a second or more and that this unsynchronized audio varies a lot.. Might be few frames sometimes, then an entire second, sometimes it records only for lets say 5 secs of a 30 second take.

I don't have any example with clap now sorry, I haven't been shooting any "production" for a long time, so no clap sync. I am out sailing now and I don't have my claptree with me and neither the time to conduct tests, sorry.

I am not entirely sure what you mean about compressing the audio track? Yes I have made the audio track to the same length as the video, but as I wrote in my previous post, it is frustrating that the amount of compression varies so much, it might be 5% for one 30 second clip and almost 10% for another 30 second clip.. Its a lot of extra manual work that stresses me out with this already tough workflow.

Can I ask why the sound is out of sync in the first place? I understand that the Video information and audio information is put in to blocks, are the blocks of a certain size that doesn't fit to the information of video and therefore information does not "fit together".
But I have wondered if it is possible to fine tune the sync of audio and video somehow in camera?

not sure if it makes sense what I wrote there, but I only have a vague understanding of how exactly the information is stored on my card.

dmilligan

Quote from: Kharak on November 07, 2014, 03:46:52 PM
Yes I have made the audio track to the same length as the video
There's your problem. Do not compress the audio length to match the video length. You simply need to "trim" off the extra at the end.

Quote from: dmilligan on November 06, 2014, 02:54:40 AM
MLVFS automatically trims the audio file to match the sequence length.
I think other converters should do this too.

puma69

Hi.don't convert the mlv file to dng just use a plugs in (ginger) on premierpro .

Rammelt

Hi,

new to the Forum and ML. I have experimented a bit and read the user guide but I also have problems with the MLV audio not being in sync with the picture, no matter if I use MLRawviewer (1.4.3) or MLVFS mounting and import as DNG and WAV. If I record as regular H.264, it syncs.
I am using a 5D Mk II with the (currently) latest build.
Are there some settings in the ML menu affecting the sync?

/John

dmilligan

Quote from: Rammelt on December 21, 2014, 08:42:37 PM
I am using a 5D Mk II with the (currently) latest build.
Exact date please. Saying "current" or "latest" means nothing.

Quote from: Rammelt on December 21, 2014, 08:42:37 PM
Are there some settings in the ML menu affecting the sync?
No.

If you can, post an example. (original MLV file please, links to something already processed/uploaded to youtube are no good).

Rammelt

Hi,

I  am using the 'magiclantern-Nightly.2014Oct08.5D2212.zip'.
I will record a short clip and post a download link tomorrow, haven't got the previous recordings at hand.

Thanks,
John

Rammelt

OK,

I don't get it. Today, I first reset to the defaults in ML, made the recommended settings according to the 5d Mk II thread and all test clips i recorded did indeed sync with the audio when I imported with MlRawViewer. So, I guess there's no problem. I'll post back if I run into this again with links to files.

Thanks,
John

Rammelt

OK, it happened again. I was making a short video just for giggles for my daughter when it manifested. Almost every other shot syncs but the one I attach a link to doesn't, as you can see from the iPad Slate I am using.
Light sucks, I know, but this is for fun in her room with what light was available. :-[ The link is active for 2 weeks.

http://filer.hajp.se/_wG90CtwzangFyR

chmee

@rammelt
your file is 1066 frames long @25fps = ~43 seconds. the audiopart is ~43 seconds as well.

under premiere cc its completely in sync. in resolve as well.

IMPORTANT! If you record in 25 fps, you have to set the project to 25fps AND(!) the Video Monitoring as well! i assume, resolve cant handle mixed framerates. its up to you, to check it.

regards chmee

Rammelt

Hi,

I got perfect sync in Premiere CS6 with the other clips and I run 25fps at all times (I'm in Europe). I guess the problem is then in MlRawViewer, which I use to export to MOV. It must be misinterpreting something in this particular MLV.

Rammelt

Just to make sure, you get the sound of the iPad Slate at around 8 seconds in, when it claps visually?
For me, that sound is at around 20 seconds in, in this clip. The length of the sound file is not the problem, it is like the sound has been "rotated" so the start of the sound is placed further in, while the actual end of the sound has been placed at the beginning.
Do I make sense?
This happened with a few other takes as well.

chmee

the slate-sync has a variance within one frame. its on 00:07:13/00:07:14. all fine.

Rammelt

OK, then it must be MlRawViewer. What program do you use to get the MLV into Premiere CC and Resolve?

Rammelt

:-[ OK, you obviously use RAW2CDNG.
I can't since I'm on Mac but I downloaded Resolve Lite and with MLVFS I can import the clips to Resolve and I get perfect sync.
So it's MlRawViewer and I have now reported the issue on bitbucket.
Thanks for your patience.

/John

cinemon

I know this thread is a little older.
I'm from Germany, sorry for my bad english.

I have the same problems like Rammelt. The DNG Sequence is always a bit shorter then the wav sound file. The syncing is generally not the problem. The biggest problem is that the video runs a bit too fast. WHat is here the problem? I can slow down the footage a bit, but than its stuttering because of the missing frames...

its definlity not a programm issue, i have the same effect in Resolve AND After Effects.
ML RAW captures VIdeo too fast.

Camera : 7D
Nightly : 2014-09-27

Thx for your answers...

dmilligan

What program did you use to convert the MLV? Is the FPS correct (is it the same in your video editor as what you selected in camera)? Can you post an example MLV file that has the issue?